Sennheiser earbud comparison. Need help.
Nov 18, 2004 at 3:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Wolfstan

New Head-Fier
I'm trying to get the best deal on new headphones, so I figure I should ask here. Mainly what I'm looking for is a pair of earbuds, but other sugestions are welcome.

Seinnheiser MX-550's.

What really impresses me are the tech specs.

Impedance 16 Ohm
Cable length 1 m
Frequency response 18Hz - 21kHz
Sound pressure level (SPL) 123dB(SPL)/1mW
Ear coupling intraaural
Jack plug 3,5 mm stereo
Transducer principle dynamic, open

Okay, do I have a good deal here or what? Pricing is about 25$. Alternatives would be much appreciated, however, I have compared the 550's to the 500's, and I'm getting mixed messages from reviews about their sound quality as far as bass response is concerned. Which is truly the better earbud?

550: http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...sf/root/500231

500: http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...nsf/root/04854

I already know that the sound is great, but my main concern is bass...

EDIT: Reading more about it, bass seems to be lacking in the 500's, and there are no reviews of the 550's.... maybe I should consider another type of headphone?
eek.gif

Nov 18, 2004 at 5:24 AM Post #3 of 4
I don't know how the bass is on the MX550's, but the MX500's have decent bass imo for the price. To get much more bass in this price range, it'll come with a tremendous hit to definition where even the best in this class isn't great. And that frequency response listing is meaningless. Companies are constantly listing these crazy frequencey response stats without telling you anything about amplitude variation or testing methods. Trust me, both ends of that listed spectrum are so quiet that to actually get them up to noticeable levels, you'd either blow your ears out or destroy the 'phones - probably both.

Nov 18, 2004 at 9:13 AM Post #4 of 4
Hi Wolfstan!

I've got MX350 few days back. They have equal bass, more pronounced mids and far better highs than the older x00 Sennheiser buds. They're also much more louder on the same volume setting - 16 vs. 32 ohm thing I think
biggrin.gif
, but more sensitivity may be the answer too. There's no trace of boominess and honky coloration of the older models - just sharp, maybe better word is 'crisp' sound. Recommended

Your
Moonwalker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back