Sennheiser debuts a bunch of new headphones at IFA
Sep 7, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #91 of 520
  Sensible way to go actually, the HD558 is very relaxing, can be a nice change of pace from the comparatively exciting and aggressive HE400i. Similarly, my most used headphones are my cheapest, the Panasonic HTF-600-S, because it's relaxing to listen to, even though it definitely isn't the best I have. That and I don't have to worry about scratching the headphones when I'm working on arts and crafts stuff.

I didn't find the HD558 relaxing by any stretch due to the ever present sibilance. The uncomfortable (hard) ear pads and the the impractical 6.3-mm plug for computer and portable usage were marly minor annoyances in comparison.

The range succeeds the popular PX 100, PX 200 and HD 200 series models

Is this a quote from the official Sennheiser press release? If so, does that mean that the fabulous open PX100 series has come to an end? And are there any potential alternatives?

Sep 7, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #92 of 520
  HD 600 is cheap now ! when then now! the new 599, is 249 currently hd600 is 245 . EUROPE
And u can save for a Amp/dac depends on what u wanna hear it :wink:
But in thiis moment im listening with an hd650 only plugged in ultarbook and it sounds great dont belive that crap. with a fiio e10 u will get everything from these headphones.

i am regulary using it with e17.

Get the old 598 or 558 when u wanna save money the new ones will sound the same for sure just a refreshing.

edit oh the he400s sound more like an 650 then hd600 but not as much bass except with focus pads what i reall recommend!

Don't let that stop you. In my experience, the HD 600 can be driven quite effectively by something as humble as a FiiO Q1, so you probably don't have to spend anywhere near what you might think just to get started. If it's the difference between the headphone you want and a compromise, don't do that to yourself. Get the HD 600. Remember, if you really want to explore higher end amplification, you can always do that later.

Right !

Thanks for the advice and the encouragement.  Deep down I know that if I settled for something other than the HD600's I'd always be thinking "what if...".  

I plan on getting the HD600's and then getting a dac/amp when I can.

Sep 7, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #93 of 520
  What I really want is an HD600, but my budget may not allow the additional expense of a dac/amp.

The new HD598 would be more in budget (considering that it could be driven by my iPhone), although I appreciate that an amp will improve the sound.
My other option would be a HiFiMan HE400s...

I was faced with a similar dilemma.  I wanted to upgrade to the 600, but didn't have the budget to upgrade amp/dac (and wanted to remain somewhat portable, too).  I can tell you that the 598 paired with an iphone 6 sounds pretty darn good.  I prefer that combo, over the E10K.  The E10K only adds volume, but the DAC in the iphone sounds better IMO.

Sep 8, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #94 of 520
I've looked into the MA900 last year when I started on this hobby and the MA900 is simply impossible to find in Singapore now. Getting it shipped from Amazon USA/Japan is also not really that great of an option, since it'll skyrocket the already relatively high cost of the headphones with tax, international shipping, etc etc.
In Singapore, there's almost no winning with this hobby. You either play the used game your whole life (which is what I'm doing now), or you shell out serious cash and pay more than the folks in the West. That's why when my friends here ask me for recommendations, it can get pretty nightmarish and that's why I'm hoping these new Sennheiser headphones will be more reasonably priced at retail here. The Sennheiser headphones are almost always agreeable until the omg What price tag is revealed.
Complaints aside, I've heard many good things about the MA900, will definitely be interested to try it some day if I can.

I got me a used MA 900 and sold it after only a short period of time. Why? Because it is always slipping on one's head. This can has literally no clamping force. I always had to fiddle with it on my head. The sound was ok, but nothing spectacular.
On the other hand the HD600/650 do not sound bad or anemic out of an Ipod. Out of my Sony ZX1 they sound already very nice and amped a little nicer. So for me they are not that hard to drive as a lot of people state. You can first get the HD 600 and upgrade your equipment later. Btw. I prefer the HD650 over the HD600.

Sep 8, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #95 of 520
Ah yeah, MA900 has little clamping force on the head, but that has never been a issue for me, whether worn sitting on a chair or laying down on my bed.
On the contrary, that and its lightweight design plus roomy pads are what makes it the most comfortable headphone I've ever tried. Literally no sore spot after 12+ hours straight of usage. It just... disappears.

Sep 8, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #96 of 520
I was faced with a similar dilemma.  I wanted to upgrade to the 600, but didn't have the budget to upgrade amp/dac (and wanted to remain somewhat portable, too).  I can tell you that the 598 paired with an iphone 6 sounds pretty darn good.  I prefer that combo, over the E10K.  The E10K only adds volume, but the DAC in the iphone sounds better IMO.

+1

I have the HD-598 + iPhone 6 and the 598 was my go-to headphone before getting the 650. The 650 is not a great pairing with the iP6, but the 598 works VERY well with the iP6 as the source.

The 598 out of the iP6 is a great listening experience IMO. Just drop some ALAC files on your phone and enjoy. The 598 remains my go-to phones for portable sources as they are relatively easy to drive, give you an "audiophile experience", and I have not tried a headphone that is more comfortable. :)

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Sep 9, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #97 of 520
I've looked into the MA900 last year when I started on this hobby and the MA900 is simply impossible to find in Singapore now. Getting it shipped from Amazon USA/Japan is also not really that great of an option, since it'll skyrocket the already relatively high cost of the headphones with tax, international shipping, etc etc.
In Singapore, there's almost no winning with this hobby. You either play the used game your whole life (which is what I'm doing now), or you shell out serious cash and pay more than the folks in the West. That's why when my friends here ask me for recommendations, it can get pretty nightmarish and that's why I'm hoping these new Sennheiser headphones will be more reasonably priced at retail here. The Sennheiser headphones are almost always agreeable until the omg What price tag is revealed.
Complaints aside, I've heard many good things about the MA900, will definitely be interested to try it some day if I can.

I've bought the ma900 some time ago after hearing it had a large soundstage combined with great mids and a relaxed sound. The soundstage is very wide like many reviewers say, but they are essentially earspeakers and leak much more sound than typical open backs. They don't sound veiled to me due to the actually surprising amount of detail for such a dark headphone, but they sound very boomy and even bloated in the bass department at times. If you like tons of bass and sounstage, then you will probably enjoy them

Sep 9, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #98 of 520
I really feel as if it was unnecessary to release 4 headphones for the 500 series with only $100 price discrepancy in between the 4 models. It would have made more sense if the hd599 or hd579 was a closed back, like the 569 effectively making it 2 headphones with a closed back option for each.
I'm really interested in how the 579 compares to the 599 (hopefully not just cosmetic differences) and if it will be a worthy successor to the 598. I'm really hoping the highest end 500 series will sound better than the lowest end 600 series and I was looking forward more towards a more refined 600 successor or a closed back 650

Sep 9, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #99 of 520
I really feel as if it was unnecessary to release 4 headphones for the 500 series with only $100 price discrepancy in between the 4 models. It would have made more sense if the hd599 or hd579 was a closed back, like the 569 effectively making it 2 headphones with a closed back option for each.
I'm really interested in how the 579 compares to the 599 (hopefully not just cosmetic differences) and if it will be a worthy successor to the 598. I'm really hoping the highest end 500 series will sound better than the lowest end 600 series and I was looking forward more towards a more refined 600 successor or a closed back 650

Seems that Sennheiser is very stubborn and will not do a closed HD600/650. HeadFi is requesting it since years.

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #100 of 520

What I really want is an HD600, but my budget may not allow the additional expense of a dac/amp.

Don't let that stop you. In my experience, the HD 600 can be driven quite effectively by something as humble as a FiiO Q1, so you probably don't have to spend anywhere near what you might think just to get started. If it's the difference between the headphone you want and a compromise, don't do that to yourself. Get the HD 600. Remember, if you really want to explore higher end amplification, you can always do that later.

I like this philosophy.

Sep 9, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #101 of 520
Agreed, nothing will change if you never take the jump. I was always lusting for an MA900 in the last couple of months, but various reasons like other (might probably be better) alternatives, never actually demoed one before, and Impedance compensator means future amp upgrade is a waste of money, It all gone now with me having it in my possession. I just enjoy every minute of using it :)

Sep 9, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #102 of 520
Dont wonder i have never read more stupidity than in this Forum within 1 Week.....
Are they even writting with u guys here? In other forums they do .

You are welcome.

Sep 9, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #103 of 520

?

First of all, the HD 600 is not inferior to the HD 650. They are siblings with different flavours, more than anything else.
Second, you really think that any HD 5xx can will outperform the legendary HD 600? Like, for real?

Sep 9, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #104 of 520
?

First of all, the HD 600 is not inferior to the HD 650. They are siblings with different flavours, more than anything else.
Second, you really think that any HD 5xx can will outperform the legendary HD 600? Like, for real?

I understand that they both use the same drivers, and the hd600 being the more neutral of the two. A closed back hd650 sounds much more interested than a closed back hd600 to me. I don't see why a newly released $250 hd599 should not be able to at least compete with the old hd600 which can be found for around $250 now, especially since 599 marks it as the highest end 500 series that will exist. The 600 wasn't so legendary for me, and I was more impressed by the akgs I own now

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #105 of 520
I get where you are coming from. But as I see it, the msrp is too high. I dont get sennheisers pricing scheme for the new HD 5x9 series. It should be lower. Guess well have to wait and see about actual street prices once they become available. Sennheiser would never dethrone and devalue their HD 6x0 line with with HD 5xx line of headphones. As I see it they brought a new HD 5xx line to the market to actually stop the HD 6x0 line from getting cheaper.T he prices for the HD 600 went down to 240€ here in Germany. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back