Sennheiser CX985 Review
Dec 17, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #16 of 37
Quote:
How does the cable of CX985 fare??. I use earphones heavily and am replacing them every 3 months cos of cable issues. Will they withstand atleast one year of not so rough usage..
L3000.gif

it seems pretty good.  its always impossible to say how it will stand up to long term use as its largely down to what the sleve is made of.  given the rest of the construction i cant see senn cheaping out on it though.  btw are you wrapping IEM's round your DAP?  3 months is hella short even for something cheap.  (strongly suggesting you may want to hit ebay and buy a nice little IEM case if you are that hard on them)  actually often buying something pricey helps people learn to look after things better.
Quote:
Thanks. That is sort of the way I have been thinking too. I think it is the price difference that concerned me - but then again the CX985 seem to be very good value and the IE80 not very good value. Some people are also saying they prefer the CX985 over the IE80 as well in terms of sonics. I do think that of all the IEMs Ihave seen over the years, the CX985 seems to have amongst the very best build quality and materials used in it's construction. Someone here said the CX985 were made of plastic - I don't really understand how they came to that conclusion.

well bits of it are plastic.  the stem and such are, ie the non shiy bits so that does include most of the actual bud itself.  given unless you stand on them there should be no stress on that bit i cant see it mattering, the build quality is still top class.  as for value, senns can be variable in that in different markets they can cost very different ammounts.  back in the day when the IE8 came out it was twice as expensive in the US as it was in the UK.  that made it great value in the UK but for americans much less so.

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #18 of 37
Thank you for this well written review. I've been looking on this site for the past few days for a review on these IEM's, but I must have skipped over it several times.
I'm currently in the market for a more portable, higher end (not quite audiophile, budget restrictions) headphone or earphone to replace my HD600s when I'm not at home. For the last two years I've been using the HD600s everywhere, but the 3m cable is a hassle on the go. 
My concern is how do these fair, sound wise, to other IEM's in the same price range? I've been looking at the AKG K370 and the Klipsch X7i? 
Also, I know someone already asked about the cable, but the new adapter, I know it swivels, should that prevent from breaking in the connection of the wire? When ever I have an issue with a cable, it's always at the connection point of the jack.

Thank you again for this review, and for any responses.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #19 of 37
wow!!!

you have been using your HD600's on the go????? oh my god. 

as for the other two you mention, not heard them.  i also cant say ive seen practically anything about them either.  if i had to guess, and its just a guess based on brand history, id take the senns.  klipish S4 was bleh and AKG have just never get much IEM attention bar the 3003 and that was just its pricetag really.  still im just guessing.

as for the jack time only can really tell but to me its seems pretty indestructible, at the very least they have a 2 year warranty so your guaranteed 2 years of life minimum.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #20 of 37
Yes, I did. As you can imagine, it wasn't the best idea ever. I've broken two cables and some of the paint is chipped. However the sound is still just as amazing (when amped).

Jan 21, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #22 of 37
No, I definitely noticed. But for the most part I was using them in quiet rooms, such as study halls, or when I was done with a test. I had several complaints about sound leakage and when I would listen to them during lunch I had to have them all the way up. This was my first set of open headphones, actually they were my first pair of non-cheap headphones. (Ironically my friends pair of Beats brought me to higher quality headphones...) I also didn't have many options for headphones, all my cheaper ones broke...

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #24 of 37
A study hall is a set class period in which you are supposed to do work, so yes, basically a library. And no, they didn't yell at all. Only had one complaint and that was in Chemistry and during a test.

Jun 29, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #27 of 37
I bought the CX985's and used them a few weeks now.
I am absolutely very happy with them and prefer them over my Shure and UE Triple-Fi's for when I go out for a walk. I mostly use them with my iPod Nano 7G.
The wierd looking clip is great looking but absolutely unpractical. It's hard to attach and the wires come out too easy. The case that it comes with looks great too but I find that quite unpractical to use too.
The IEM's sound great and have an incredible soundstage, look stunning, are absolutely easy and comfortable to wear and I haven't regeretted buying them for a second.

Jun 29, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #28 of 37
Wrt the IE7 comment and materials, design etc.

Mark is spot on here. The right materials for the right job.

I bought the IE7s 4 years ago on marks recommendation. I use them daily. They are still like new tbh. The material used means they are very light, yet strong.

Seriously, apple have a lot to answer for sometimes....

firstly i disagree about the "astonishingly cheap finish and materials" used in the IE 7 and 8.  im sure they were chosen because they were the most appropriate material for the job its just that many want something expensive to be heavy.  as with phones some like things to be weightless ala the S3 verses iphones.  neither construction method is better, just different with different purposes in mind.  if it helps any i did much the same with my IE7's when i got them.  i couldnt decide if they were fake and the frankly meh sound fresh out the box wasnt helping.  however now its one of my absolute favourites.

given what you have said about the construction methods i kindo think you might like the CX985 more than the IE80.  granted ive not seen an 80 in the flesh yet as having seen photos it looks like an 8 they have stuck on a weight gait diet so it doesnt feel so freekishly light.  tbh i expect the 80 to be much more aimed at audiophiles that prioritise sound about all and the 985 is a bit more of a compromise.  its about creating a weighty beast with a jack that shall outlive you.

acoustically if you want lots of air up top for a closed its a really impressive bash.  its still a closed though where as the  8 is endlessly open but then has minimal isolation.

so, which for you?  the 8 is the better sounding but it hasnt the weight or the isolation of the 985.  if you commute id say the 985 is the better option.  i think you might prefer its construction too.

Jun 30, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #29 of 37
Quote:
Wrt the IE7 comment and materials, design etc.

Mark is spot on here. The right materials for the right job.

I bought the IE7s 4 years ago on marks recommendation. I use them daily. They are still like new tbh. The material used means they are very light, yet strong.

Seriously, apple have a lot to answer for sometimes....

its not apples fault, its stupid people being stupids fault.  its the same mentality that has people thinking more bass = better, heavier must = better.  i cant fault apple for wanting to part fools from their money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back