Sennheiser CX300 durability?
Mar 12, 2006 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Dr. S

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, this is my first post. I currently have a pair of Sony ex51s which I am using with my first generation Dell DJ. The sound is pretty good, but they aren't durable at all. I've had them less than a year, and the part of the cable that goes behind the neck is starting to fall apart, and now I have to patch it up with electrical tape, which is uncomfortable on the neck and looks really stupid. According to reviews on amazon.com, I'm not the only person who has run into this problem. I've read a lot of good things about the new Sennheiser CX300s, and am considering those as a replacement. I don't doubt that they sound much better than the ex51s, but for those of you who have a pair, how is the cable? I guess they haven't been out long enough to know if the cable will deteriorate over time, but does it seem to be more solidly built than the Sonys?

Mar 12, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #2 of 13
Hahaha, the Sony's are pieces of crap.

The MD33, EP630, etc have excellent durability. I pulled on the wires a dozen times or so, but they haven't even budged from the connection and still seem brand new.

I would guess the same for the Sennheiser CX300. And it's Sennheiser, so you'd HAVE to expect this much.
etysmile.gif

Mar 12, 2006 at 10:04 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong

Indeed. I found out the hard way. Anyone else have opinions on the durability of the CX 300s?

Mar 12, 2006 at 10:27 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong

lol, just for the sake of it.

Well the CX300 has the same design as my EP-630, so i'd assume the plastic and the silicon they use for the tips are the same. In my opinion these canalphones are tough, although like any other earphone (excluding cm7) they will break if you step on them with shoes, however i don't see how they would break if you threw them against a wall or dropped them on solid ground. The main weakness of it would have to be that 8mm plastic tube that sticks out into your ear. Its also the place where the silicon tips are centralised. If that part happens to get jarred by your books in your bag, or crushed by your foot, i'm pretty sure they would crack if not break.

Of course, thats just my estimate, i've never actually tried to break them =P

Mar 12, 2006 at 11:06 AM Post #5 of 13
I have the Sennheiser buds. I think they're ok but nothing lasts forever. If they bust in a year or two, something else will be available.

The sound is better than the Sonys which is more important to me.

Ian

Mar 12, 2006 at 1:33 PM Post #6 of 13
I think the durability of them is pretty good to be fair, they give off the feel of something that is fairly well built for what it is.

As Ian says it probably wont last for ever, but then, the price isnt too high so its not a massive concern unless they die very quickly, which seems unlikely to me.

Mar 12, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #10 of 13
One other thing about those buds on the Senns .....

They don't go in your ear as deep as the Sonys. I found that strange and kept trying to jam them in at first in order to get a seal, but in the end, just gentle pressure so that they fit (quite loosely) seems to get the bass going. After using the Sonys, they feel strange because they don't seem as tight a fit into the ear.

Ian

Mar 12, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #13 of 13
The ones having trouble getting a good fit with their IEMs, do you know you have to pull your ear up and out with one hand then put the piece in with the other? Kind of like putting in earplugs. In combination with the right sized ear piece of course..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back