Sennheiser cx 880i (iphone) any experience with them?
Jun 19, 2011 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dudiadudia1

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys..

Im thinking about upgrading from my Etymotic hf2 to somthing more comfortable and fun.
the Etys are great but i hate the fact that i cant just shove them in my ears.I have to use both hands to put each phone in.Its a BiXch when im driving and want to take a call.

I know that sennheiser's sound sig is alot bassier then the Etys (used to own the senn ie7 back in the day) . and after using the Etys i have grown to like the amount of detail they give.

I would like to hear some personal reviews of them in regards to sound-q,durability,comfort and some general notes...:wink:

will the cx 880i be a wise buy?

Im using an iphone 4 ..dahh..

thanks.

Jun 28, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #3 of 4
hey guys..

Well eventually decided to buy them..and I will try to shed as much light on them as I can.
Now bare in mind that I'm NOT a pro headphones reviewer.

I'm gonna try and cover a couple of points:

In-ear fit: I'll start with this subject because I think with these phones it is a critical matter.
The cx880i are by far not the first In-ears I've owned.with all my previous phones I used the medium tips. but I could manage with the large tips as well with more bass+seal.
with the cx880i, the medium tips fit my ears fine (lucky me) ,but with the small and large tips I can't hear almost anything.I think its because their design inserts the tip a little bit inside the ear canal. the small tips wont seal and the big ones just wont get in the canal.
with the right tips I feel the cx880i blocks the perfect amount of ambient. You will not hear most of the outside noise but If a car will Horne next to you ,you will be able to hear it.unlike the etymotics I have which will seal your ears to a vacuum.
If one the 3 sizes do fit you, you are about to enjoy one hell of a music experience .

Sound:
To be honest at first they sounded weird for my taste. The mids-highs are a bit in the back except for the vocals which are in the front. I tried to crank up the volume but the sound was still weird. After listening for a couple of hours and turning the volume down To a human level, I've noticed that all the detail was there even though the mids-high were a in the back. the highs have that sparkle that let u hear cymbals like it is right next to you.
To me they feel like I am infront of a stage when the singer is the closest and musicians are beside and behind him.

As far as bass goes...with sennheiser I'm always afraid of this part..the senn's are known to have warm sound signature and I was worried that coming from the etymotic hf2 i'll feel a hump of bass that would block 60% of the music.
The cx880i's bass is something else!! And I've owned he senn's IE7.
I don't know how to put it into words but it feels like the bass is coming out of a high end monitor(I've heard a couple of these in a studio before).
All in all the cx880i deliver a very mellow but detailed and FUN listening experience .

Durability :
I think it is too early to tell but they do feel sturdy.

The phones themselves are plastic and are very light and comfy.

To sum up:
Even though I've paid heavily on these (180$) I have enjoyed them very these couple of days and I do feel it was worth the buy.

If u guys have any questions I'll try my best to answer.
Take it easy :wink:

Dec 23, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 4
I found a good deal on these. A deal I wished I saw before I jumped on getting the Future Sonic Atrio M5's. Although, I know I should give the atrios a chance before I return them. I just have not found the right tip yet.

I used to have the cx500 so I was looking for a similar sound and I head that Futuresonics is close. Since I found such a good deal got the Atrio M5. However, have you possibly ever tried the sennheiser cx 400/500/95/55? If yes, how would they compare to your current cx 880?

I am hoping that the sound of cx 880i is not too different from cx 500. I guess you could call me a basshead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back