Sennheiser CX-500 Review
Jul 14, 2009 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

djdeepblue

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I have received my Sennheiser CX-500 yesterday, they aren't burned in yet, so I will update the review when they are
wink.gif

First Impressions/Unboxing:
Typical Sennheiser package, as you are used to see in the CX-series.
Came with a beautiful white carrying pouch, a rubber to hold the headphones, a clip to hold them to your clothes, 3 pairs of regular ear-tips, and 3 pairs of double-flange ear-tips.
The headphones look really good, they are small, with a simple design.

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/7349/20072009096.jpg

Build Quality:
Overall they seem pretty solid, but well, let's see how they last.
The volume control seems a little bit fragile.

The Headphones:
My version is the white. The cable is symmetrical, not assimetrycal as the cx-300. They have an in-line volume control, and if you turn it to the minimum volume you can still hear music through the headphones
wink.gif

The jack is not straight, it's L-shaped with "Sennheiser" written on it (the logo is also there)

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/3268/18072009093.jpg

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/700/18072009094.jpg

Isolation, Comfort and Fit:
The headphones isolate pretty good. I used the mid-sized regular tips, they fit well.
I tested the bi-flanges also, and on these headphones they are also confortable.

First Sound impressions:
First I plugged them into an iPod Touch 1G, and listened to some rock, metal and house songs. It sounded pretty good, as I was expecting from these headphones. Lots of bass, although a little "muddy", but I like my headphones this way. The mid-range and the treble were a little "recessed", as I had to turn the equalizer on my iPod to "Treble Booster". However I think that after the burn-in, the bass will get a little more controlled, the mids will open up a little bit and the treble will become more defined.
When I plugged them to a good soundcard on my pc, I was more impressed. Again, LOTS OF BASS, lol. However on the PC the mids and the treble are more defined, and really better.
But, on the pc soundcard, if you have a low volume on in and have the max volume on the headphone inline volume control, there is a noise hiss. If you turn the volume on the headphones to minimum or a bit more, and control the volume on the pc, you can't hear almost any noise.
Another bad point, the cable. As the Creative EP-630's and the Sennheiser CX-300, when you touch the cable, you hear the vibration in the headphones. This is a bit bad when the cables are touching your clothes while walking on the street and so, I advise you to use that little clip so the cable is going to be more stuck to something, and then there is a lot less noise.
It's a bit bad but a lot of my IEM's did the same, so...
smily_headphones1.gif

After Burn-in:
I'm going to update this as soon as they are burned in.

Conclusion:
They are a pretty decent pair of headphones, and for the price it's really worth it. Out of the box they have that overwhelming bass, but I think with the burn-in (gonna update later) they are going to be much better
smily_headphones1.gif

Paid 21£ por them, so they are pretty good for the price.

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/6198/18072009092.jpg

(The pictures are in links because they are too large, lol
biggrin.gif
)

And yes, I don't know where is the other small tip
tongue.gif

Thanks!

Jul 14, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #2 of 5
Mine are burned in and they didn't change noticeably.

I think the over-all sound is way too low-tuned and dark, yet you can still easily tell mids apart from highs.
Adding BBE and 3DSurround on the Cowon helps a lot but on the PC I don't like the sound at all. I feel like a mermaid living under water!
I like the bass but I think it sounds very unnatural. I do think the CX 500 does a much better job than the CX 400.

You are right about the cable. I use them on the treadmill in the gym and they are a real PITA! Will have to replace them eventually...

I do like the accessories. The hard silicon tips increase bass even more (which is why I don't use them). I also really much approve of the volume control. I wish all portable headphones would have that!

Jul 17, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 5
Did you get a genuine pair? I bought a pair a while back for a similar price after my CX200's broke and tbh, I thought they sounded pretty bad.

I read somewhere that on genuine sets of CX500's the sound doesn't totally cut out when the inline volume control is turned to its lowest setting. Sadly mine did totally cut out and twhen adjusting the volume the sound didn't smoothly scale, it sounded very wobbly and un-Sennheiser like. Thats what convinced me I got a fake pair.

I binned them and bought a pair of Denon 551's, what a difference, the sound has totally opened up. I am a big Sennheiser fan and believe that the 500's should compare to the 551's. They don't, which makes me think my pair were fake. It would be interesting to hear what your thoughts are on your pair, fake or not?

Jul 22, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by subseasniper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you get a genuine pair? I bought a pair a while back for a similar price after my CX200's broke and tbh, I thought they sounded pretty bad.

I read somewhere that on genuine sets of CX500's the sound doesn't totally cut out when the inline volume control is turned to its lowest setting. Sadly mine did totally cut out and twhen adjusting the volume the sound didn't smoothly scale, it sounded very wobbly and un-Sennheiser like. Thats what convinced me I got a fake pair.

I binned them and bought a pair of Denon 551's, what a difference, the sound has totally opened up. I am a big Sennheiser fan and believe that the 500's should compare to the 551's. They don't, which makes me think my pair were fake. It would be interesting to hear what your thoughts are on your pair, fake or not?

That's true
smily_headphones1.gif

Mine does that
biggrin.gif

Update: Pictures added
tongue.gif

Jul 23, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #5 of 5
I had a pair of CX300II and I'm totally satisfied with them.

That's what convinced me that sennheiser makes good earphones, I thought I would get another pair for jogging so I got the CX500.

I'm not sure if it's not fully burned in yet but the bass isn't as strong as my CX300II, the sound also sounds distant and flatter than my CX300II.

I've checked all websites to check if its a fake, but all sources shows that its original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back