Sennheiser CX 300 IEM (a personal review)
Aug 11, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #376 of 554
First of all, I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to this discussion. I have been debating between the Shure E2, the Super.Fi 3 Studio and finallly the Soundheiser cx300. I really wasn't looking to spend $80 if I didn't need to, and after reading on here, I was finally convinced to try the cx300. I ordered them from amazon for $54 (free shipping) and then I also ordered the super.fi tips from the yahoo shopping site below. Looking forward to listening to them, and hopefully I will be as happy as many others on here were.

Cleansparks mentioned that the super.fi tips fit the cx300. I went to the Ultimate ears page & they wanted $10 for the tips and another $10 for shipping. I found the same thing at:

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/uleareti.html for $9 and only $2.99 shipping. Hope this tip will save someone else a few buc$!

Aug 11, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #377 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrancoC
Cleansparks mentioned that the super.fi tips fit the cx300. I went to the Ultimate ears page & they wanted $10 for the tips and another $10 for shipping. I found the same thing at:

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/uleareti.html for $9 and only $2.99 shipping. Hope this tip will save someone else a few buc$!

FrankcoC, I'm interested in hearing your impressions with the new tips when you get them, especially soundwise. If any of them do anything to curb the CX300's moderate tendency toward sibilance, I'm all over 'em.
etysmile.gif

Aug 12, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #379 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Playbhoy
you can get these of ebay so cheaply, EP630 for £1.99 plu 6 pp

im buying CX300s right now for 1p yes 1pence!! 4£ delivered!!

Do a search on the forum about fakes....
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2006 at 9:03 AM Post #381 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Playbhoy
you can get these of ebay so cheaply, EP630 for £1.99 plu 6 pp

im buying CX300s right now for 1p yes 1pence!! 4£ delivered!!

or just read the seller's feedbacks... they are 97% ish.

it would be even lower if competent people were buying the those EP-630s... as they would know what to expect.

hm, some people who sell fakes even have 99% ratings.. jeesh

Aug 13, 2006 at 2:39 PM Post #383 of 554
I can vouch that the Shure ultra soft flex do fit the CX300. They have to be stretched a little to fit the CX300 spindle. You may also wish to trim down the stem on the ultra soft flex to match the length of the CX300. I didn't, so they can sit deeper in my ear canal. Also I get a far tighter seal with the Shure pads.

Aug 14, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #384 of 554
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I did a quick scan and couldn't find it, so.. price not being an issue, would you go for the CX-300, e2c, super.fi 3 or Etymotic ER-6i?

*edit* also, are there an abundance of fake CX-300's on Ebay? Some of the auctions seem to be ridiculously cheap.

Aug 14, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #385 of 554
I just wanted to make some observations about the biggest problem I have experienced with these buds: HISS

I nearly ripped them out of my ears and returned them. Then I calmed down and realised that only amps can hiss. Then I came to headfi. Result? I was pointed to impedence mismatch problems.

The CX300s work great in my Sony Vaio and Sony portable Minidisc. These struggle to drive headphones like the HD580. Meanwhile my better sources like my Xcan hiss like mad. These seem to be designed for high impedance cans like the HD580.

Interestingly the Ipod shuffle hisses a lot, but I have found the shuffle can drive some tough loads quite well

Now, the common theme I have found is that I only need a low level to get the volume I desire. So the signal is small compared to the noise floor (the hiss). I have been toying with two ideas. An impedance adapter (like the E4P/S thingy) could be made and I am looking into this. Others have suggested an inline passive attenuator (a volume control). Both should reduce the signal and the noise and allow me to turn the volume up a little (the hiss does not vary with the volume). Koss do a nice one (the VC20) and shure also (the PA235) though I cannot find either in the UK. Maplin have a £2.99 unit which doesn't look as nice but it will be my first port of call I think as I can use it on my crappy PC soundcard if it isn't good enough for my portable setup.

Other than that, they are great aren't they? You can listen at a sensible low level, ignore everyone, no-one else is disturbed and they sound great to boot

Aug 14, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #386 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless
FrankcoC, I'm interested in hearing your impressions with the new tips when you get them, especially soundwise. If any of them do anything to curb the CX300's moderate tendency toward sibilance, I'm all over 'em.
etysmile.gif

Well this is interesting. I just got a pack of Ultimate Ears Double-Flange Tips this weekend, and my initial impressions with the CX300 are that they do, indeed, resolve the highs better. Sibilance is lessened, treble is slightly more detailed. Low-end also seems a smidge less congested. The difference isn't huge, by any means, but I'm still kind of shocked by the change and my re-enjoyment of these fine budget in-ears. I thought we were on the verge of an amicable separation (my Audio Technica ATH-CK7s are still on their way), but it's nice to be wrong sometimes.

UPDATE (for my own amusement): Mm-mm, me likes my placebos! A bit more listening has confirmed for me that the highs and bass seem clearer with the UE Double-Flanges primarily because the Double-Flanges suck back the mids. That, in combination with the fact that sibilance is still not reduced enough, means I've set these earphones aside after all. It's a shame, because I used to love the little buggers. In related news, my ATH-CK7s have arrived and are burning in as I type. In comparison with the CX300s, the CK7s lack boominess but have no real shortage of bass themselves (despite some people's impressions); I find it clean with an adequate amount of punch, especially from higher-powered sources (my unamped Rio Carbon doesn't push as much bass out of them as the onboard soundcard of my work PC, for example). Highs are much more detailed and present, bordering on sharp, but my 31+ hours of burn-in have so far transformed the out-of-box shrillness into something quite likeable. I am still experiencing some sibilance with the CK7s, but not nearly as much as with the CX300s, and what is there has tamed dramatically over time -- Hopefully it will continue to do so.

Aug 24, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #387 of 554
i have a problem with in ear phones...after a bit they accumulate bits of wax around the edges of the actual phones. Is there a way to remove all this? and does it affect sound quality

Aug 24, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #388 of 554
Quote:

Originally Posted by moiee
i have a problem with in ear phones...after a bit they accumulate bits of wax around the edges of the actual phones. Is there a way to remove all this? and does it affect sound quality

If we're talking CX300, it's extremely easy to remove and reinsert the siliconbud from the actual phone, for cleaning purposes.

Aug 25, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #389 of 554
as i have not tried the sennheisers yet, i cannot say anything how they compare to the sharp or to the creative. but i have both creative and sharp at home, and at the beginning i thought, wow i have finally found a backup for my md33, where the 4-pole plug starts to break slowly. but i was wrong.
the ep630 have a much harsher sound than the md33s. it is similar, but it is definitely different. especially the highs are much more metallic with the ep630, although they never were perfect with the md33s either. but i couldn´t stand the heights coming from the ep630, so that i actually threw them away, only keeping the tips, because i already lost one pair.
as far as i can remember the bass seemed a bit more boomy with the ep630, the md33s bass was tighter. but the biggest drawback were the heights.
to tell the truth the heights are the weak point of the md33s too, and i applied the foam mod to reduce them a bit but this was not possible with the ep630, the heights were to prominent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back