Sennheiser Amperior Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #361 of 1,054
I missed out on the $150AUD deal, picked them up for $250 later. Even at $250 these are a steal, ive had alot of headphones in the past and these are amazing.

Sep 11, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #362 of 1,054
  I missed out on the $150AUD deal, picked them up for $250 later. Even at $250 these are a steal, ive had alot of headphones in the past and these are amazing.

Yeah, even at $250. JB?

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #364 of 1,054
Curiosity got the best of me so had to get the Amperior next to my long time baby HD25. I'm starting to find the Amperior's to be quite the improvement! They're obviously a bit heavier but at the same time somewhat more comfortable with that new earpad material and less clamping force when comparing the two. I swapped the improved but still flimsical stock cable for a HD 650 cable and I think that took away a little harshness to the highs. I never thought I'd use an audiophile term but the Amperior is clearly better at instrument seperation which is so nice to be able to hear and notice. They also sound more upfront and bass seems to go a bit deeper.

There's one but. Now that I unscrewed the cable attachment on the cup there's no cover anymore. Looks a bit crappy. Did anyone find a nice solution to that?

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #365 of 1,054
Hey there Moriaz,

I too swapped the stock cable for an HD650 cable.... at first it was fun hearing the differences that you describes.

Later on I missed the details that the stock offered so I put it back on....   who knows, I'll probably keep switching the two until my head explodes lol

by the way, I find that doing the spring readjustment that I learned from MADMAX is important when going back to the stock cable....

Here's my quick how to link on youtube.... don't be intimated, it's easy to adjust those springs and so rewarding in that DYI-type-of-way :)

http://youtu.be/WRXYgfIkX18

Sep 12, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #366 of 1,054
Just got a pair of these at $200 AUD. I'm chuffed. I've just found my fave set of cans. The sound signature is just what I am after. Forward and slamming. The bass punches well, and the treble isn't too laid back. Suits electronica really well. Way better than the HD25 btw (which were overly warm for me).

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #367 of 1,054
there are many very cheap offers right now on ePay - can someone confirm, that these are genuine? refurbished is fine for me :)

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #370 of 1,054
  Here's my quick how to link on youtube..

Thanks LAmitchell for the advice. Might come in handy but I don't see myself going back to the stock cable soon.

The sound signature is just what I am after. Forward and slamming. The bass punches well, and the treble isn't too laid back. Suits electronica really well. Way better than the HD25 btw (which were overly warm for me).

I have to agree. The HD 25 is awesome but when comparing the two I notice some muddyness to it's sound. The Amperior just seems to do a lot if not everything a little but clearly better. A definite step up.

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #372 of 1,054
I connect my amperior headphone with Headstage arrow amp and switch to high Gain 19dB and high impedance 65 ohm. While playing the music, the headphone are shaking I immediatly switch back to low gain. I want to know if high gain and impedance from amp will damage the headphone in this case?

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #373 of 1,054
  I connect my amperior headphone with Headstage arrow amp and switch to high Gain 19dB and high impedance 65 ohm. While playing the music, the headphone are shaking I immediatly switch back to low gain. I want to know if high gain and impedance from amp will damage the headphone in this case?

The Amperior is a really efficient headphone and does not need high gain to get to very loud levels in most setups.  A gain of 19 is way overkill unless your source is really low in output.  Can you set it to something a bit less like 5 or 9?  And not sure what other impedance setting you have but 65 should be okay if that is all you have that is close to the Amperiors impedance.

As for damaging the headphone, sure it could be damaged from cranking it up with that much gain.  Your volume control setting is probably way lower than half and not in the optimum area either with the high gain setting.  Use low gain and turn the volume control up for best results.

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #374 of 1,054
My source is ipod classic 160gb with LOD to the headstage arrow 3g which is a portable amp that I used for my shure se535 and Triple 10 remold 4 drivers. I just want testing the sound quality of amperior with the new amp. The weird thing is that amperior is more sensitive than the shure se535 in high gain. I switched immediately back to low gain after playing few sec with high gain with my amperior. I did some research on the internet, it seem few sec playing music in high gain wont damage the headphone. Well at least I listened my amperior with my ipod touch 5th after, It seem everything is alright. The Headstage arrow have 4 switches Gain 
6dB, 12dB, 19dB, Bass boost 0dB, 9dB, 12dB, Impedance switch 0/20/65 ohm and Crossfeed Off Low High.

One more thing, its possible to use Oyaide HPC-H25 with the amperior? I think you just have to buy the Clamp Set for Sennheiser HD-25 to install these upgrade cable?

HPC-HD25red540.jpg
productsennheiser-044433_1_.jpg

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #375 of 1,054
As long as the Amperiors sound okay then you should be fine.  I just would not run it with high gain at high volumes.  As for proper matching I would start at gain of 6 and see how it sounds and how far up on the volume control you go.  Also to keep the freq response as close to nominal I would set the amp to 0 impedance.  Setting it to 20 would be good for a 150-300 ohm headphone and 65 would be best for 600 ohm cans.

Not sure about the cable, maybe someone else can chime in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back