Sennheiser 650 - Dissapointed With Bass
Jun 10, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #17 of 57
HD650's not bassy enough? Er... possibly an amp problem? I currently run my hd650's through a Corda Arietta (which are known more for their base accuracy than punch and impact), and the base is plentiful IMO.

Try another amp, or go with your original intent, and buy some new headphones. However, generally speaking, you can't get it all in a headphone unless you go with a speaker setup. One driver is only capable of producing so much base until it *has* to sacrifice detail and clarity for the lower end quantity you're asking for here (At least this what I've gathered. Maybe I'm wrong?).

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #18 of 57
Want a lot of bass? Try the MDR-XB700
beyersmile.png

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #19 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD 650 are designed to be neutral headphones - the bass *is* there, but it's not over emphasised.

But remember vthat headphones direct sound to your ears, with loudspeakers you are sitting inside the soundfield and *feel* the bass through your body as well as with your ears.

But it sound like you want boosted OTT bass - in which case I think you will be happier with headphones that have extra bass rather than natural bass.

I didnt know people associated with the company were allowed to praise the products in this board...................
Anyway, I cant particularly agree with you.
Theres a large mid-bass hump compared to the 600 (which I consider to be more neutral than the 650, but less so than the 880) and also the high-rolloff that is evident in all the HD series phones i have heard (seems to be part of the senn mid-fi sound) which IMO makes them boring.

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #22 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD 650 are designed to be neutral headphones - the bass *is* there, but it's not over emphasised.

But remember vthat headphones direct sound to your ears, with loudspeakers you are sitting inside the soundfield and *feel* the bass through your body as well as with your ears.

I don't think the bass is at all even in the senn 580..650 phones.

I've had some really strange experiences (in a good way) with the 650 and some grateful dead tracks that had really low bass tones (during the so-called drums/space section). one recording, a dicks-picks 5 (I think) 'space' section had a bass part that made me jump up and check if my subwoofer was switched on by mistake. my body felt like it was shaking, same as if the velodyne was on. it was the oddest sensation! and in a good way
wink.gif

but for midbass, its nothing special. that really deep body-moving feeling isn't there and I kind of think there's a hole in the spectrum, sort of.

the ultra bass effect doesnt' happen in many songs, so when that 'space' selection came on, I knew the phones and amp were all working fine
wink.gif

just wish that subwoofer effect went up a bit higher in the freq range. it seems to be very narrow (another reason why its not an everyday thing to have this happen).

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #23 of 57
I thought HD650s had plentiful bass, even too much on a lot of songs... Do me a favour and never try any of the higher end AKGs because they will have zero bass to your ears (although plenty to mine!)

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #24 of 57
I had same issue with the 650 .
I do admire it's elegant smooth clear sound however but just not enough low end punch/percussion happening with the stuff I listen to usually ....
Try some Sony or Denon 'phones .
The Japanese know what's up ...

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #25 of 57
I think problem is some people are half deaf.

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #26 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't know people associated with the company were allowed to praise the products in this board...................

I wasn't praising them at all - I was just stating facts.

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #27 of 57
Yeah I see no problems with Willett's posts, that and he's always careful with his posts.

Jun 10, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #28 of 57
get a sub and turn it on with your headphones if you really want so much bass

Jun 10, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #29 of 57
Except for the Denon's D7000, I can't think of another headphone that I own with so much bass, than HD650's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back