sennheiser 280 or akg 141/240 ??
Jun 17, 2002 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ismala

New Head-Fier
After try some headphones and read a lot on these forums , i decided to buy a pair of hd 280, but one day before i go to buy them , a friend calll nme and send me that he could sell to me some akg studio/monitor headphones 141 or 240 and he call me they are very good.

i have not heard these akg headphones but now i am not sure

for using at home ¿which is better?

thanks

Jun 17, 2002 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 10
I would go 280 Pro... but i am not very familiar with the 240 or 141... but they are not very popular here, which makes me to think that they arent popular here for a reason... go to headphone.com and read about them there.. I would recommend the 280Pro. you wont be disapointed I think...

Jun 17, 2002 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 10
The new 240S has gotten a few good reviews here. Our very own 'lini' from Munich is a big promoter of this can. It is semi-open, whereas the 280's are closed.

They are both around the same price here in the US (~$99). Depends on your needs.

Jun 17, 2002 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 10
Can someone point me out to the beginnings of this Senn 280 rave? I'm just a little confused...maybe I haven't kept track of threads as attentively...I know I have noticed the other raves for phones such as K501, etc.

But the Senn 280 are pretty new phones...haven't really gotten popular rec's from headroom or Jan Meier that I can see yet (in fact I think Jan hated them). And when I read the boards I read nothing but very mixed reviews. So I am left wondering why Senn280's are such a hot topic and maybe I just missed THE rave review on em.

Right now the only consistently well-reviewed full-sized closed headphone would be the Beyer 250 series.

As for the K240S, I would make sure you get the S version and not its older k240M brother. These phones are semi-open phones and aren't much for isolation. No the K240S has not had a rash of rave reviews...in fact lini is probably the only one really vocal about them. However I have had them for awhile, and I can only say that if isolation is not priority, they are really nice headphones. Maybe I will do my "rave" review...but only after the Headroom Tour in LA after I bring my pair along for a true acid test(I'll always have my ER4S to compare...and have had long experience with the DT931 and K501, and a short HD600 one, but yay I'll get to hear em all again with a ridiculous amount of amps!). The K240M headphone is a studio standard. The K240S is an update of that standard...and after listening to it for awhile I think I can hear why.

Btw is the Senn HD280 on tour?

Jun 17, 2002 at 7:45 PM Post #5 of 10
Well, the 280 pro is an excellent headphone, I think. It easily beats out the V6, and I love the v6! just search for it. Some people complain that it clamps, but I think they just need to let it break in. others complain that it doesnt have any bass.... (the bass-heads) it just doesnt have boomy bass.. in fact it goes deeper than the v6, and is very very tight. i love mine to death. i think they are comfortable.

Jun 17, 2002 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 10
blr's review did it for me: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...&threadid=8873 delenda est Sony's review was good too: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...&threadid=8876 (make sure you read the last update post). There have also been a few bad reviews - reviews that are so bad that they've had people wondering about Senn's quality control of the 280s: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...threadid=11035 I know I've seen more reviews, both positive and negative. I had some comfort problems with mine until I got used to the grip they put on my head, but I've read similar complaints about the HD600, so it must not be that bad. I've also toyed with the idea of replacing them with Beyer DT250-80s, but I'm worried that I'd miss the detailed highs. My favorite things about the 280s are the amount of isolation and the tight, extended, non-boomy bass!

Jun 18, 2002 at 1:45 AM Post #7 of 10
The HD280 Pro needs a lot of break-in (50hrs+). I attribute that factor to most (if not all) of the negative reviews. It's also possible that the first ones that came out were of lower quality. I think I remember reading that Sennheiser recalled them or something.

I own them and I think they are great. For $100, they can't be beat.

Jun 18, 2002 at 12:22 PM Post #8 of 10
I also own the 240s. They are great headphones. Easy to drive, comfortable and with a detailed, yet natural sound.

They seem quite versatile in respect with music types. I listen to jazz, classic and some pop/rock. Vocals are beautifull too.

I can only recommend them.

P.

Jun 18, 2002 at 6:32 PM Post #9 of 10
Tim, Pierre: I'm glad that you like your K240S', too. It's very pleasing to know that you're happy with my recommendation.

ismala: Nevertheless, isolation could be a problem for you. The HD 280 might provide some (never tried it, so I don't know how much), whereas the K240- and K141-series provide only a little. If that is a critical point, the K240S would be the wrong recommendation for you. And I can't comment on the closed K270S, because I've never heard it - I just have some fragments in my memory that it was originally invented as a surround headphone and had two stereo-plugs, then. But as already stated in your other thread, Beyerdynamic and AudioTechnica might be worth a look...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jun 19, 2002 at 6:45 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks to all people reply my post, it helps me a lot
Yesterday, i tried hd 280 and some other headphones in a shop and like 280 pro a lot.

I am going to buy at this week
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back