Sennheiser 212 vs Sony v6
Feb 14, 2002 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

raif

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone heard the 212 long enough to know how they sound compared to the v6 or 202. I read someone describing them based on their specs but I would like to hear from someone who has actually listened to them. I was going to buy the v6 but I am intruiged by closed sennheisers.
My wants are:
CLOSED(I already owned sr80's and I am sick of getting dirty looks in the library)
Comfortability
easy to drive by portable (d-ej916)
and i would prefer circumaural(around the ears not on them, it doesn't make sense to me to have a closed headphone that leaks sound)

Feb 15, 2002 at 3:37 AM Post #2 of 2
Hi Raif---

you might have a long wait. the 212s are slow in coming into circulation. No one here seems to have them yet. I have the 202s. and the 497s, which together in theory equal a 212!
biggrin.gif
I also have the V6s.

My semi-relevant thoughts: if you really like the SR80 sound, get the Senns. The V6s have a more distant detached sound, better for analyzing music than being in the middle of it like in the Grados. If you want a completely different sound from Grado. the Senns will probably provide it.

Other factors: the Sonys will probably be quieter. The V6s are much quieter than the 202s. And the Sony will have a better chance of being circumaural as its cups can completely cover even midsized ears. If Senn uses the same pads on the 212 as they do on the 202 (and I think they do) than the 212s will probably not cover your ears unlesss you are Frodo Baggins. You will probably find the V6s comfier. as some users (not me) have complained about the 4x7/2x2 series for being uncomfortably tight. Virtually no one complains about the Sonys wearability. Finally, both are easy to drive with a portable device. The V6s are capable of getting louder due to their greater sensitivity, but that is probably not a good thing. (Per SPL meter, the v6s can hit 115 db from my PCDP which is not good for the ol sound flaps...)

Anyway, these are not the main considerations. Essentially if you want "closed Grados", the Senns will be your choice. If you want something completely different, the V6s will be better.

Hope this helped to some degree. If you do get the 212s, let us all know how they sound!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back