Senn PX200 - WOW!
Nov 26, 2002 at 8:45 PM Post #16 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by bioxeed
wow. sounds like they're a pretty damn good set of cans for the price. now i'll probably have to wait another year and pay 1.5 to 2x the price to get them here in aus
frown.gif
(i'm yet another person searching for the ultimate portable cans)

A YEAR? That's outrageous.

But you could buy them from Headroom without too much of a price penalty after paying postage.

And on the subject of postage costs, I feel too many US and Canadian companies charge nearly 30 usd when AudioCubes and Fixup can do international posts for 10-12usd...

Nov 26, 2002 at 8:47 PM Post #17 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by mtillman
You did - and you weren't wrong!

And thanks for the tip about availability
wink.gif

Pleasure mate - glad you're pleased with them

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2002 at 8:49 PM Post #18 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
Radiohead
HI: Is there any can you can compare the PX200 to so we can get an Idea of what to expect? I noticed that you gave a big WOW. What was that WOW compared to?
PS
Is there any site selling the PX200 that we can buy from over there?

I've tried both MX500's and EX70LP's in the last 3 months. The MX500's are great but I couldn't get a good ear-fit, the EX70LP's were pretty dire IMHO.

The PX200's are a better 'phone than the MX500 - fuller bass, sweeter treble and a fuller mid-range.

I used my HD580's as a comparison and they don't come out too badly at all.

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2002 at 8:51 PM Post #19 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by 00940
what do they worth compared to the sound of a pair of HD497 ?

No idea.

But as I said:

The organ sounds really good on the MX500s, though of course it's better on the HD600s. On the PX200s it was really, really fab (though I wouldn't say better than the 600s). And the clarity of the rest was there too - possibly smoother than the 500s and a bit more forward than the 600s (which is no bad thing).

Nov 26, 2002 at 9:08 PM Post #20 of 58
Quote:

(Er, there isn't anything better than HD600s, is there...? Surely not... No, there can't be....................)

You're not a million miles away from me... might have to try my 'tweaked' setup one day... that'll tell you if there is more to life than 'standard' HD600s
biggrin.gif

Glad You're liking the PX200s
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2002 at 9:43 PM Post #22 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
You're not a million miles away from me... might have to try my 'tweaked' setup one day... that'll tell you if there is more to life than 'standard' HD600s
biggrin.gif

Glad You're liking the PX200s
smily_headphones1.gif

Arghh - you're not trying to prize my wallet back open are you?

You're an evil, evil man ( :wink: )

You wouldn't be in the market for a pair of EM7s, would you?

Nov 26, 2002 at 10:05 PM Post #23 of 58
Quote:

You wouldn't be in the market for a pair of EM7s, would you?

Erm... no, i'll pass on those thanks... I already have a pair of HD600s that someone on the boards is hopefully selling to me the weekend after next...
wink.gif

I might try those PX200s compared to my HD580s... see if they can get anywhere close...

Did Ask allow you to test them?

Thanks

Nov 26, 2002 at 10:07 PM Post #25 of 58
Thanks mtillman for the info:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. How is the case? It seems nice from the pictures, but is it durable and compact?

The case does a good job of protecting the phones and is well built, but it is quite bulky, and a little cumbersome. But it would be necessary if you carry the cans around in a rucksack or (large) pocket. I use a laptop soft briefcase and feel I can get away without using the case.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Are the PX200s too revealing for 128k MP3s (don't ask)? I know I shouldn't be listening to them, but if you had to listen to 128k MP3s, would you rather listen to them on the PX200s or the MX500? What about 160k MP3s for the same above question?

I listen to 128k mp3s. I personally wouldn't consider the 500s would mask anything the 200s would reveal, if you see what I mean.

3. About how much sound does the PX200s block/isolate? I plan on using this in the cafeteria at my high school, which is where we stay before school and it tends to get a little loud in there.

Surprisingly I find all but the loudest noises on the train almost completely blocked by the 200s when I'm actually listening to music, much moreso than I would have imagined by just putting the cans on without playing music.

Hope this helps.

Nov 26, 2002 at 10:23 PM Post #26 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Erm... no, i'll pass on those thanks...

Spoilsport.

Quote:

Did Ask allow you to test them?

I had to insist. Like I insisted when I bought my 600s from them - and compared them to their Senn 25X (I think) and some 100-odd ukp Sony jobbie (God the Sony sounded awful)

It's just amazing that they expect punters to buy kit without trying it out.

Nov 26, 2002 at 10:52 PM Post #27 of 58
Hey Guys,

£40 eh?? thats nearly double the price of the MX500's.
Still, if they are as good as you say then it will probably be worth it.

I shall have to see if the local branch of Superfi have them available?

BTW, it's always nice to see the British contingent making a presence on this board. We must arrange a head-fi meet sometime.

Sound As Ever
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2002 at 11:01 PM Post #28 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
Hey Guys,

£40 eh?? thats nearly double the price of the MX500's.
Still, if they are as good as you say then it will probably be worth it.

It is nearly twice the price, but I think you can see where the money's gone in terms of build quality and the case etc.. They're a beautifully designed portable 'phone.

B&B Hi-Fi in Reading had no problem letting me listen - and listen I did, for about 40 minutes....

biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2002 at 11:16 PM Post #29 of 58
Quote:

A YEAR? That's outrageous.

But you could buy them from Headroom without too much of a price penalty after paying postage.

And on the subject of postage costs, I feel too many US and Canadian companies charge nearly 30 usd when AudioCubes and Fixup can do international posts for 10-12usd...

Well i was exaggerating slightly there but it'll probably be a while before they filter down here. But mostly it'll be the price locally that'll be a killer ($700 aud for a pair of hd600?!! and 280pro's are usually > $300aud here
eek.gif
)

Nov 26, 2002 at 11:34 PM Post #30 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
BTW, it's always nice to see the British contingent making a presence on this board. We must arrange a head-fi meet sometime.

I'm sure, seeing that to the best of my knowledge I am one of the only, if not the ONLY person in the UK to have a Cardas cable... that if we did organise a meet... that the UK would become a big force in their sales target
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back