Senn PX100 - too bass heavy for me
Apr 2, 2004 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

GaR

New Head-Fier
I bought these cans last week, attempted a proper burn-in and I'm still finding them too bass heavy for my tastes. Can anyone recommend portable cans that are better suited to my tastes? I don't mind hearing moderate bass, but I feel the PX100's are a little overwhelming on the bottom end.

Apr 2, 2004 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 11
Get the PX200's they have strong bass but it's not their emphasis. I use my PX200's 100x more then my PX100. They also have some isolation which is very nice. You may also enjoy the MX500 with Radioshack foamies.

Apr 2, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 11
i should have mentioned that i also have the grado sr80 and mx400. i actually prefer the mx400's warmer sound to that of the px100's. but for some odd reason, i enjoy the experience of headphones more with something that rests on my ears rather than inside part of them !

i could be expecting too much from a portable set of phones.

Apr 2, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 11
I like my ATH-EM9r...
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 7:27 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Jasper994
try the PX200

so long as you like prenounced midrange...

My understanding of these 'phones is changing slightly, it seems with each model a part of the frequency sweep is altered :

PX100: bass, yeah... plenty of it, kind of like Koss KSC-35s...
PX200: midrange, to me it sounds honky, but of course there are midrange lovers out there that crave this sort of thing
PX250 (with ANR on): treble. These are some of the cleareset cans i've heard in this price-range, great, and not too sharp either.

So, its a matter of what you like best... and then running with it.

Apr 3, 2004 at 11:55 AM Post #9 of 11
And I'd swear that the second pair of px200s I got was better than the first. The first I got was from the Headroom when they first came out. I sold them, regretted it, and bought them later almost a year later locally. The headband adjusts a bit longer than it did, and the pads seem a bit more full and encompass a bit more of the ear. Not by much, and it could be my memory playing tricks, but there seemed to be some changes there. I should take new pictures to compare to my old ones. Ah well, on the list of things to do.

But all this ment they sounded very nice for portable use indeed. Just the right amount of bass, nothing bad to say of the midrange, and maybe a tad bit of isolation. They're good for what they are. I don't seem to find a chance to use them, but I can't bare to part with them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2004 at 3:22 AM Post #10 of 11
I use mine a lot on campus... the isolation is just enough so you can hear your music clearly without being competely oblivious to the world around you. I like the way they sound too... The only thing I wish for is a little more treble and a tad more detail...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back