Senn PX-100 user looking at the HD280s. Need a good, closed set for home.
May 2, 2006 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

tedtropy

100+ Head-Fier
This is my first post on the forum. I'm also reasonably new to the world of the ultra-amateur-audiophile so let me apologize in advance for anything blatantly moronic that may follow...

I've done abit of searching here and elsewhere concerning reasonably priced closed full-size headphones that I intend (mainly) for watching TVs, movies, video games while I'm at home. I live in a fairly large apartment complex, so it's not always practical for me to listen to things at the volume I prefer and/or outside ambient noise prevents it from being as enjoyable as it could. Time and again, the choice seems to boil down to the HD 280s when it comes to something within a modest budget. Now to provide abit of my headphoning history, I was introduced to the world of Sennheiser via my PX-100s, which I adore. Granted, my only source of reference is a past filled with crap pack-in 'phones and my once beloved Koss KSC-55s, but I love the sound and reasonable amount of bass produced by them. I'm no basshead, per say, but I enjoy the tone of whatever it is the 100s is outputting. Part of my fear is that the 280s would be so different from that type of bass as to put me off on them.

If I'm willing to spend somewhere in the $150 (maybe $200) range for a set of closed cans, with an emphasis on isolation, am I likely to do any better than the 280s? Any help is much appreciated and sorry if I meandered abit Thanks.

May 2, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by tedtropy
This is my first post on the forum. I'm also reasonably new to the world of the ultra-amateur-audiophile so let me apologize in advance for anything blatantly moronic that may follow...

I've done abit of searching here and elsewhere concerning reasonably priced closed full-size headphones that I intend (mainly) for watching TVs, movies, video games while I'm at home. I live in a fairly large apartment complex, so it's not always practical for me to listen to things at the volume I prefer and/or outside ambient noise prevents it from being as enjoyable as it could. Time and again, the choice seems to boil down to the HD 280s when it comes to something within a modest budget. Now to provide abit of my headphoning history, I was introduced to the world of Sennheiser via my PX-100s, which I adore. Granted, my only source of reference is a past filled with crap pack-in 'phones and my once beloved Koss KSC-55s, but I love the sound and reasonable amount of bass produced by them. I'm no basshead, per say, but I enjoy the tone of whatever it is the 100s is outputting. Part of my fear is that the 280s would be so different from that type of bass as to put me off on them.

If I'm willing to spend somewhere in the $150 (maybe $200) range for a set of closed cans, with an emphasis on isolation, am I likely to do any better than the 280s? Any help is much appreciated and sorry if I meandered abit Thanks.

The HD280 sound wierd to me (to my GF too for that matter). Strongly colored with a midrange emphasis. I JUST got a pair of DT250-250 and they sound really good for the $... but need a good amp. DT250-80 sound nice too for the money... either about $150 from bhphotovideo.com

May 2, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakked1
The HD280 sound wierd to me (to my GF too for that matter). Strongly colored with a midrange emphasis. I JUST got a pair of DT250-250 and they sound really good for the $... but need a good amp. DT250-80 sound nice too for the money... either about $150 from bhphotovideo.com

Would the DT250-80s likely be idea for home theater use? They'd be connected to my Onkyo home receiver for the most part. Thanks for the response.

May 2, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 33
The HD280 supposedly has a vise-like grip on your head.

You might want to look at the DT770-80, it's a great closed can (despite its recessed mids). Or the $70 AKG K81DJ.

May 2, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr

You might want to look at the DT770-80, it's a great closed can (despite its recessed mids). Or the $70 AKG K81DJ.

I've read some complaints about the K 81 Dj comfort-wise. Would it be a suitable headphone for something that's going to be potentially worn for several hours on end? Thanks.

May 2, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
I think the HD 280 is fine, but the DT 250 is a real step up imho.

If the improvement in quality is significant and the isolation is comparable to the 280s, I'm certainly willing to spend the bit extra. Thanks for the feedback.

May 2, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr

No "supposedly" about it, those HD280 had the killer death grip!

I have the K81DJ now and they're great. Not anything like as deadly as the Senns.

May 2, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvallere

I have the K81DJ now and they're great. Not anything like as deadly as the Senns.

I have mine now and it's not that bad. It loosens up at about 30 hours into it.

May 2, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #10 of 33
i tried the 280pro for about a week. OMG, it was huge on my head, and i felt myself like a bull with two horns in the mirror!
evil_smiley.gif

for sound quality, i liked the highs from 280, somehow i felt a little dissapointed with the lows. if you like bass, that wouldn't be your best choice though. the soundstage is good, anyways, they are big cans, ain't they? last thing, i think you may get them as cheap as 82 bucks on a certain website, can't recall its name now. why don't you just go to www.shopzilla.com and make a search on those?
icon10.gif

May 3, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvallere

Sounds more and more like the K81DJ's are looking like my 'phones. They're a tad more than I'd prefer to spend, but it seems like they're worth the difference.

My question for you, and anyone that owns them, is are they idea for movies/gaming as much as they are for music? Apart from my PX100s, I also own a pair of Shure E2cs, and while I like the isolation and general music quality they offer, they're pretty lacking in that "oomph" department that gaming and movies kind of demands. The PX100s are certainly more capable in that area, but are very open phones, a fact I both love and hate.

May 3, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by tedtropy
Sounds more and more like the K81DJ's are looking like my 'phones. They're a tad more than I'd prefer to spend, but it seems like they're worth the difference.

Reading through the K81 threads (search is your friend), several people complain about its comfort. I don't know if it's any better than 280 in this respect.

May 3, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #13 of 33
Umm, how are you gonna get isolation from a full sized headphone without them clamping on you? And they isolate quite bit, I assure you; not as much as IEMs but still quite a bit. Ive had my DAPs volume at 50% in a bus without hearing ambient noise. You get used to the grip after a while and the pads are pretty comfy (although it can get quite hot inside).

But I agree, if you are looking for bass, these may not be right for you. IMHO, they lack the punch for the bottom octave although if you EQ them, it can come through nicely. Same with highs.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #14 of 33
Just placed my order through HeadRoom for my AKG K 81 DJs. The more I read about them here and elsewhere, the more they seem to be what I'm after. Various complains about their comfort concern me, especially since I'm used to the incredibly comfortable PX100s, but I'm hoping I'll be able to adjust to them and I have a fairly normal if not small-sized head. I had my cursor poised over the "Order Now" button for the Sennhesier HD 280s off and on for the past week, but the general consensus that the bass just isn't there finally pulled me in another direction. The AKG's seem to have the punch I'm after along with decent isolation. I'm really hoping they live up to all the praise I've read. Now the damn waiting begins.
tongue.gif

I appreciate all the help that’s been furnished here. Now I need everyone to tell me I’ve made the right decision.

May 3, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #15 of 33
This reply is a bit late since you have already ordered, but in case you don't like the K81DJs, did you consider the HD25-1. They have good bass and good isolation. Some people say that they are not comfortable, but I think they are fine. The split band allows a lot of clamping force adjustment. They have very high efficiendy and don;t need an amp. They are somewhat expensive - $180 at B&H

Users who are viewing this thread

Back