Senn Momentums, lateral upgrade or ?
Feb 1, 2015 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nbrowser

New Head-Fier
Ok I currently own a pair of Sony MDR1R cans, but auditioned my Asgard 2 in a store (yeah....go figure) wih the Momentum over ear cans and found them to sound quite nice. Would it be an upgrade of sorts to grab a pair of Momentum's to go along side my MDR1Rs or is the difference not worth the price of admission? Noting both pairs would be driven either directly by an iPhone or my Asgard 2 at home. Any insight would be appreciated folks!

Feb 2, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #2 of 9
I personally think Momentums are technically better, but not by much.
More of a side-grade overall.

Feb 2, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #3 of 9
IMHO it is. I think the Momentums are more neutral and less V-shaped. The Sony I heard seemed to emphasize the bass much more than the Momentum - HOWEVER, I have only heard the Sony MDR-1R on a Sony demo display, so that might account for a lot of the bass. Sony's has to make their demo display compete with the Beats... :rolleyes:

Feb 2, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 9
You should also consider Soundmagic HP 150!

Best Luck!

Feb 3, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #5 of 9
  You should also consider Soundmagic HP 150!

Best Luck!

That's a downgrade to both the Sony and the Sennheiser.

The ear-clamping force alone is enough to turn most people away, which is a shame because for the price they sound OK.

Feb 3, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 9
  That's a downgrade to both the Sony and the Sennheiser.

The ear-clamping force alone is enough to turn most people away, which is a shame because for the price they sound OK.

First time I read a negative comment about them, I've seen people that even preferred HP150s over Mr.Speakers Mad Dogs.
As far as I know they have less clamping force than Srh-840, and I haven't felt the Srh-840 unbearable when I had it.
(Comfort is a pretty personal thing, that's sure)

Feb 3, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #7 of 9
Ah you're right... I shouldn't be harsh... don't know what got into me. 
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 5, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #9 of 9
The Sony MDR 1R is not the front runner in the model. The Sony MDR 1RMK2 is  the improved version.. And that is a little old at that. The one to consider, IMO would be the Sony 1A, which is coming SOON.

Also, Sennheiser has come out with and improved Momentum, the M2, also the improved version..

IMO, and a noivice's opinion too, the 2 abouve would be and upgrade from the Sony 1R, a much upgrade.. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back