Senn HD598 vs DT770 for gaming/music. Need help deciding.
Jan 14, 2013 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sixtyfivedays

New Head-Fier
Hello all,
[size=small]
  1. Budget - 150-200
  2. Source - My PC with a sound card (Dolby Headphone)
  3. Requirements for Isolation - No requirements
  4. Preferred Type of Headphone - Comfort is a big deal since I wear them at home for long periods of time.
  5. Preferred Tonality - Balanced.
  6. Past headphones - I have had HD555 (dog ate them), Logitech G35 (dog ate them (he's rude)), MDR-V6 (current but jack is going bad)
  7. Preferred Music - A little bit of everything but mostly rock/hip hop.

[/size] [size=small] As the title states, I will use these mostly for gaming. I am not extremely competitive so I ruled out using the AD700s since the lack of bass was worrisome. I am looking more for an immersive sound instead of positional accuracy but having both would be great.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] I am not so sure if I should consider the HD598 since I heard the foam mod makes the 558's sound pretty close to the same so I've heard.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] I wasn't able to find many posts from people who have DT770s (250ohm), but the Senn HD598's seem to be pretty loved. Would love to hear from anyone that can compare the two and see what each one would offer me over the other.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Thank you all.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] edit: If anyone has any other recommendations, I am all ears. I have considered the M50s but found that their soundstage is kind of small and can be uncomfortable. [/size]

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 12
I own a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's, and I'm quite happy with them for my gaming use. I find them to be incredibly comfortable, despite having large ears, I can effortlessly wear these for hours upon hours. One concern for you might be the bass, even though it's quite good, it's a bit on the light side and it might not satisfy you if you primarily listen to hip hop.

Jan 17, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #5 of 12
I wouldn't worry too much about the impedance/ability to drive.
On my card, there are 3 gain settings: <64 ohm, 64-300ohm, 300-600ohm.
My 300ohm headphone can be easily driven at the lowest gain. You then have a ..slightly.. thinner sound, but still very good (bass also).
But..i am not a "basshead".
If i put the volume up over 40% at the lowest gain (which would be your highest gain? (xonar dgx?)) the loudness gets unbearable for me.
Depends also on the loudness of the recording offc, low volume recordings i can go til 50%.
But..when you insist on skull-slamming/brain-mushing bass..it might be considered a little weak =).
But then one can use eq..
If you want to play safe, you can take the 50 ohm 598.

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
Hello all,
[size=small]
  1. Budget - 150-200
  2. Source - My PC with a sound card (Dolby Headphone)
  3. Requirements for Isolation - No requirements
  4. Preferred Type of Headphone - Comfort is a big deal since I wear them at home for long periods of time.
  5. Preferred Tonality - Balanced.
  6. Past headphones - I have had HD555 (dog ate them), Logitech G35 (dog ate them (he's rude)), MDR-V6 (current but jack is going bad)
  7. Preferred Music - A little bit of everything but mostly rock/hip hop.

[/size] [size=small]  [/size]

The words balanced and gaming has the HD 598 written all over it

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #7 of 12
I haven't been fortunate enough to own a pair of 598 or given them a listen, but I've owned both hd555 and hd595. I personally liked my ad700 over them, but still preferred open-air headphones for gaming and certain genre of music (trance, acoustic..etc). I think in this regard, i'm going to suggest the hd558 or hd598. 

edit: In regards to the sound card, it should be adequate for your headphone selection. I'm always skeptical when it comes to sound cards offering a "dedicated" headphone output. With the different gain options, I think it should be fine. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #8 of 12
the HD598 has a significantly better soundstage over the DT770 since of its basic design (open vs closed, though this closed is a very large closed which gives it pretty decent soundstage too)
imo me and my friend (has a SRH940) agreed that the DT770 is not our taste as it is a tad boring sounding. (though he obviously prefers his SRH940 over the HD598 for the reason of extreme detail, crisp mids and sparkly treble, while on the other hand i like the senns for its rich lively mids and soundstage along with warm bass)

add note: probably the reasons to get the DT770 over the HD598 is isolation, a more V shape, which comes with a more sparkly treble (though not that much) and a boomier more powerful bass. otherwise refer above

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #10 of 12
Thanks all. I went with the DT770s mostly because I realized that I do share my room with my girlfriend and the TV behind me and stuff might get in the way of my sound.

I am loving them though.

Jan 21, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
Thanks all. I went with the DT770s mostly because I realized that I do share my room with my girlfriend and the TV behind me and stuff might get in the way of my sound.

I am loving them though.

Its not strange. Gaming is bass dependant in most cases. For example i use right now HE-400 for gaming and they dont cut it in like 3 maps in 1 game (mass effect 2). For every other game, they are killer sounding.

Sep 11, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #12 of 12

I am loving them though.

hey man! i was wondering im looking for a headset for gaming myself... im looking at the dt770s also because thats what i was recomended but personaly im looking for positional accuracy becuase i play dayz and ARMA 2 mod. i was wondering how those were working for you? Especially if you happen to play dayz or ARMA 2 at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back