Senn HD570 seems way underpowered
Sep 25, 2002 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Biscuit

New Head-Fier
Hi I'm your basic noob, hoping to get some help on something that has got me thinking for a while.

I have a Senn HD-570 that I bought to use for my PC and for late night DVD watching. I use a Hercules Game Theater XP for my PC sound card and a Denon AVR-1801 receiver to power my Energy speakers.

When I use the HD-570s for either PC or Denon unit, I always seem to have to crank up the volume. When I use the headphones in the Denon receiver, I have to disable my home theater speakers. Shouldn't this allow for more power to the headphones?

Thanks in advance for the responses. I hate to lurk and post, asking for help, but it's starting to get on my nerves!

confused.gif

Sep 25, 2002 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 5
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking... But, if you're asking if disabling the speaker outputs on your Denon receiver will improve the performance or power of the Denon's headphone output, I believe the answer is no. The Denon probably has a separate amplifier for the headphones that won't be affected by the speaker outputs.

Sep 26, 2002 at 7:09 AM Post #3 of 5
Turning off your speakers will not give more power to headphones. But then, why use speakers when you are using the headphones?

As far as cranking up the volume for the phones, as long as the sound is good, and volume is adequate, don't worry about it.

If you want good efficient phones the Sony MDR-V6 are about it.

I have HD570's, and have no problem with them. Although they do perform better with headphone amp. I can use them out of my portables ok.

Sep 26, 2002 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the replies,

On my denon receiver I have to disable the main speakers in order for the headphones to work. Don't know why Denon decided to do that, but the reason why I use headphones over my Energy speakers is to keep the g/f from complaining when I am up late watching anime.

How do the Sony MDR-V6 compare to the Senn HD-570? I am thinking about getting an extra set of cans for my g/f so she can listen to music late at night when she studies.

Sep 27, 2002 at 12:16 AM Post #5 of 5
The SOny's have more mid range...it's much more pronounced.
They are also sealed, so less sound is sent out to others who don't want to hear it.

For studying, the Sonys are fine, as they have some sound isolation. They are more suitable for other music than classical.
HD570's are supposed to be for classical, mainly.

Both are nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back