Senn HD280/HD580/Grado SR80/ Sony?? Which to get please
Jun 23, 2002 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Haoleb

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, ok. after the post i made before ive been thinking, I might be able to swing $170 and get the Sennheiser HD580's from audioadvisor, BUT will i need an amp to drive them? Mostly be using from Santa Cruz sound card and occasional NAD C-370 hp out. A portable would be nice W/O an amp but not necessary. Also. I know about speaker ohms etc but is a higher number on phones harder to drive, or lower ohms?

Jun 23, 2002 at 8:53 AM Post #3 of 12
After all that you aren't getting the Grados?
lol..Check out Headroom, and read about the phones you listed.
For a buck seventy, I'd get a nice set of hundred dollar cans and an amp from JMT.
md

Jun 23, 2002 at 11:27 AM Post #4 of 12
I have the senn. 580s and at 300 ohms I find that to get them to sound real good that they need some power and a good source. My portable airhead dont do it good enough on my mini disc at 5 m/w and my supreme amp dont do it either on my mini disc. I had to hook up my supreme amp to my stereo tape out and use my cd deck as a source to get the 580s to sound real good with my supreme amp. I havent heard the 590s but I think that they are easer to drive than the 580s also the philips 890s are easy to drive and sound good with little power. Do a search for the 590s and the 890s and see what other members say about them. My 580s do sound real good out of my stereo amp but my stereo amp is a good one. For a temp. fix the koss 35s should sound very good on your puter.

Jun 23, 2002 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 12
Yeah millerdog.. well im still undecided. Im sure they sound great but they just look soo uncomfortable. I am going to montana in july, maybe there will be some HiFi stores there i can go audiotion something. Because there's sure not alot for audio stores here on the big island. besides walmart and costco. lol..maybe i should just get the HD280 pro's. The 580's are pretty expensive for me. Id rather spend the extra cash on some CD's

Thanks

Jun 23, 2002 at 4:55 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Haoleb
..maybe i should just get the HD280 pro's.

Noooooooooooooooo!
Unless, that is, you want the Al Gore of headphones...

evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Since your use seems to be mainly 'fixed', get the Grados. You will not regret it. If, on the other hand, your use is for a portable, the Sony V6's seem to be very highly commended here (but I'm not entirely sure given the unbalanced advice I get here).

Jun 23, 2002 at 5:38 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
I have the senn. 580s and at 300 ohms I find that to get them to sound real good that they need some power and a good source. My portable airhead dont do it good enough on my mini disc at 5 m/w and my supreme amp dont do it either on my mini disc. I had to hook up my supreme amp to my stereo tape out and use my cd deck as a source to get the 580s to sound real good with my supreme amp. I havent heard the 590s but I think that they are easer to drive than the 580s also the philips 890s are easy to drive and sound good with little power. Do a search for the 590s and the 890s and see what other members say about them. My 580s do sound real good out of my stereo amp but my stereo amp is a good one. For a temp. fix the koss 35s should sound very good on your puter.

Sounds to me like your problem is Mini-Disk. They are not up to CD standards, at least not from a decent home CDP.

My 600's sound decent from my pcdp, admitidly older and more powerful than newer ones,. It sounds better with 3 volt TAH, Kicks pretty good with 9-volt TAH.

Actually sound pretty kick-ass from H-K FL8300 CDP line out to TAH.

Loaner Little and Cosmic both sounded fantastic from pcdp and cdp. Check out what's wrong with your MD.

Jun 23, 2002 at 7:54 PM Post #9 of 12
gaineso
HI: I think that the mini disc at 5 m/w just dont have enough power for my airhead or supreme amp to amplifi for my 580s to a level that I like. So I use earcanel aiwa vx100 or mx500 or koss 35 with the total airhead and it sounds real good.

Jun 24, 2002 at 4:02 AM Post #10 of 12
Ok, now... i am thinking again.. and What do you guys think..

So, i think i will probbaly get the Senn HD280's (if i hate em i can always return em) but what i want to know is if i got a headphone amp .. like the Creek OHB-11 would they sound significatly better than from my Santa Cruz turtle beach sound card and pcdp? Do you think the extra $200 bucks is worth it? And im also going on this trip to montana for about 10 days or so. Do you think the OHB-11 is small enough for travel? (obviosly i need a place to plug it in tho) Thanks soo much. WHat would you do? just get the HD280's alone or get the Creek along with them? .. and maybe Grado SR80's instead of senns i will have to see.

Jun 24, 2002 at 8:47 AM Post #11 of 12
if you can drop $170, go for the beyerdynamic dt250-80's. it's worth it. theyre easy to drive, so no need for an amp. you can get great sound out of pretty much anything. i use mine with my computer (turtle beach santa cruz), pcdp (a two-yr-old sony), and panasonic stereo, and the beyers sound excellent with of all three. they dont fold up, but theyre small enough for travel. throw in an insane amount of comfort for any headphone, and youve got yourself a damn fine investment.

Jun 24, 2002 at 8:54 AM Post #12 of 12
The Sennheiser HD 580s are great.

You don't NEED an amp to drive the 580s, they just sound better with one. I can drive mine with my SB Live, but the volume is jacked up to about half way. Going to my CMOY it's at about the second notch on the volume bar for the same amount of volume.

I found it harder to drive headphones with the Cruz though, it needed more volume for my 497s than with my Live. But I don't have them anymore so I can't test it with the 580s sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back