Senn HD25-1 vs ATH M50
Jun 30, 2011 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

xyphe

New Head-Fier
After a lot of searching, I'm about to buy a pair of either of these. I'll be using them with my iPod, no amps. I listen to every kind of music from blues to indie pop to rap and I want a good all-rounder. Isolation (that is, leaking sound to outside) is very important too. Can someone help me decide?

Jun 30, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #2 of 10
Maybe getting an IEM  would be a better a idea, if you don't mind sticking them on your ears.
I'm pretty satisfied with my  senn IE7, I  use them each time I  take the train.
However when isolation is not important, I  prefer the sound & comfort  of  the earbuds  k317 (weak on bass, but brillant everywhere else).
You might consider the aiaiai TMA-1,  good sound qual, but perhaps a bit warm (not best for classical music, but great for mainstream music I  guess), and great look , portability, build quality.

Jun 30, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #3 of 10
I'm looking to buy a full sized headphone rather than IEMs. I've read that TMA-1's are not very good with preventing sound leaks, I'll be using this pair in public transport fairly often, and I like my music loud. HD25-1 looks promising but I'm not sure whether M50's are better in sound quality/isolation/getting driven by an iPod.

Jun 30, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
If I were you I would go for the HD25s solely for the fact that HD25s were designed to be portable but the M50s were not. Realistically, you could use the M50s for portable use (i.e. on the subway, as you mentioned) but the cable is too long and really they're too big.

it's not like the hd25 cable is short, it is something like 1.5 meters.
anyway, sound leaking wise, senns are superb, I really like my music loud and people say no sound is leaking out of the cans.

Jun 30, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #7 of 10
The HD25 definitely isolates more judging by my experience. They are both all rounders but the M50 has fuller bass and dead mids while the HD25 has forward mids and punchy bass.

For portability the HD25 is better but it doesnt fold up like the M50 does. I must say you can't go wrong with either but you can gloat with the HD25 as other people that sportscasters use it, if thats a plus :p

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #8 of 10
I've decided to go for HD25-1's. I've also just discovered FiiO E1, which looks very affordable. Do you think it'll be a nice addition to my portable setup? Anyone tried it with HD25-1s?

Jun 30, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
I've decided to go for HD25-1's.

I'm not surprised, each time someone is hesitating  here, he often takes at the end something with the Sennheiser brand.  That's a bit too predictable, and disappointing somehow.

I've also just discovered FiiO E1,

The E5 is a more popular choice, you should test first with your ipod , I  bet you'd be already satisfied.
Afaik the hd25-1 doesn't need amping, and is not lacking in the bass too.

Jun 30, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 10
i'm also in the same boat here..but i listen to a broad range of music, especially rock and classical.. i believe both should be good for rock, but what about classical?? which one of them is better?? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back