Senn HD-600 Vs. Grados
Mar 29, 2002 at 9:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

r4z0r

100+ Head-Fier
Which Grado model do you guys think is the closest match for the Sennheiser HD-600?

Sound quality out of a quality solid state amp, let's say a Max Out Home Reference is the only factor that matters here, so please disregard price/comfort/other misc. factors. I think it will be a good idea to exclude sonic improvements brought in through modding/cable swapping. Please also include musical preference with the comments!

I hope I won't get flamed to death for starting such a controversial topic.
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2002 at 9:50 AM Post #2 of 20
There aren't any Grados that are "close" to the HD600. But of the Grados, the "closest" is either the RS1 or the RS2, depending on whom you ask.

I saw "depending on whome you ask" because after talking with a few RS2 owners, it sounds like there is actually quite a bit of variations between individual sets. When I heard a pair they weren't much like the HD600, but more than any of the lower models (they were smoother and less bright than the lesser Grados).

Mar 29, 2002 at 9:52 AM Post #3 of 20
Closest match in level of competition or sound quality or quality of sound?
biggrin.gif

Are there any Grado with a similar quality of sound as the 600--e.g. actually sound like it instead of just as good as it

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 29, 2002 at 10:21 AM Post #4 of 20
None of the Grados sound anything like the Sennheiser 600s.

For Grados of similar quality (but with a totally different sound), try the Grado 225s or 325s.

Personally, I don't rate the RS-1 or RS-2, but that's a matter of taste.

I wouldn't be without either the Senn 600s or my Grados - they have different strengths and complement each other.

Ross

Mar 29, 2002 at 10:29 AM Post #7 of 20
Especially when you consider the fact that the Senn's have a 300ohm resistance and the grado's come in at only a 32ohms (grados are supra-aural, and the senns are circumaural etc. . .)

Mar 29, 2002 at 4:27 PM Post #8 of 20
I think Joe Bloggs' questions really explain what I'm trying to get at..
smily_headphones1.gif
Which Hrado comes in as the Senns' biggest competition? (I'm fairly sure the old HP-1000s surpass the HD-600s, and I guess the RS-1 *might* be considered to be in a higher level league as well..)

Mar 29, 2002 at 5:41 PM Post #10 of 20
i am constantly switching between the sennheiser and the grado, usually after some absence or if im in the mood.
I too think the Grado SR325 is a great partner to the HD-600.

Mar 29, 2002 at 5:58 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

I'm fairly sure the old HP-1000s surpass the HD-600s, and I guess the RS-1 *might* be considered to be in a higher level league as well..

Have you heard the three of them? I have, and don't agree. The HD600 is easily on par with both, though certainly with different sonic characteristics

Mar 29, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Which Grado model do you guys think is the closest match for the Sennheiser HD 600

Any model at or above the SR125 !!

Seriously though, I have my own preferances but the sound of Grados and Senns is quite different!

If you like dynamic upbeat sound, the Grado SR225-325 are hard to beat. They will rock your boat!

If you prefer to fall asleep while listening to music on your headphones then the Sennheisers will 'Sennd' you off!!
redface.gif

Mar 30, 2002 at 5:47 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by oldguy
If you like dynamic upbeat sound, the Grado SR225-325 are hard to beat. They will rock your boat!

They will rock your boat and your head until your ears start aching...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back