Senn HD-580 vs. Ety ER-4s ...Which to keep?
Jun 13, 2002 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

purk

Headphoneus Supremus
Guys,
I need your input here. I have a limit budget and i did purchase both of them. Can any of you recommend me ...which is a better of the two. My source will be a highend discman (Sony D-E905 or D-555). I have creek obh-11 and regular airhead as my amp. I plan to sell one of them after...I make up my mind. Oh...which sound better of the two. I don't mind the headphone/earphone differences. Thanks.

Jun 13, 2002 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 25
One important thing to consider is whether you prefer a closed phone. If that's not important to you and since you already have both, give them a listen and go with your gut, or errr.. ears.

Jun 13, 2002 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 25
I kept my ety's and sold my Sennheisers. Reason? More versatility. I can wear them in a wider variety of situations. Plus, ety's stand alone at the top of the earbud/canalphone class, so if I wanted earbuds again I would either have to buy etys again or something worse. On the other hand, there are a lot of equal or better open headphones in the Sennheiser class--if I wanted a headphone like the Sennheiser again, I would definitely upgrade the second time around.

I feel pretty complete now and prepared for every type of listening situation/environment:

Open headphone: Grado RS-1
Closed headphone: Audio Technica W100
Top-shelf canalphones: Ety 4p w/ adapter
Cheap earbuds: Sony 888lp

Jun 13, 2002 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 25
Hi,
I probably will use it at home, since...I don't want to carry around ...expensive phones....and my Sony mdr-e484 should fufill my need just fine for portable use.
Or should I just upgrade to Ety 4p, since i prefer *fun* more than accurate...emmm though choice. I have grado sr-80 and V6 as well.

Jun 14, 2002 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 25
If my memory serves me correctly, the consensus of opinion would say that the Etymotic synergises with the amps you have a bit better than the 580. The ER-4s is more easily driven than the Senn's, so it certainly would be a better fit for the Airhead you own.

Jun 14, 2002 at 4:44 AM Post #9 of 25
No question.

[size=medium]KEEP THE ETYS.[/size]

At least, if I was given the choice, that's what I'd do. The '600s are great headphones, but the Etys are just so much more versatile, and in many cases better sounding.

Jun 14, 2002 at 5:57 PM Post #10 of 25
Hey Purk,

Although I have not heard the 580s with my D555 or D777, I can vouch for the Etys. I feel as though the ER4S compliments both players extremely well; there is a definite synergy between them. I also agree with everyone's comments about the Etys' versatility. Hope this helps.

-Jasper

Jun 15, 2002 at 3:35 AM Post #11 of 25
Guys,
Both of them is not here yet
frown.gif
They take much longer to arrive. Anyway, I'll try them out ...and I'll tell you guy what I pick. I heard the Senn b/f on my bookshelf system.. but, now I have an amp...I am sure that should make a difference.
I like good bass and nice clarity....which is a better of the two? thanks.

Jun 15, 2002 at 2:43 PM Post #12 of 25
I recommend you keep both, and I will send you enough ramen noodles so you do not starve.
biggrin.gif

Sorry, I know that was no help at all.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 15, 2002 at 6:11 PM Post #13 of 25
Guys,
The 580 got here this morning. I'm letting the big boy breaking in right now. Hopefully it will sound best when the Ety comes. I'll let you know. The Ety should be here on Monday.

Jmt,
Thanks for noodle, but I'm a meat lover.... Lamen will only prolong my life a week.... NEED STEAK...
biggrin.gif
Don't forget my Cmoy!!

Jun 15, 2002 at 7:34 PM Post #14 of 25
You should definately decide this for yourself. You will have both to compare will you not?

Out of the META42 connected to the Panasonic SL-CT570 with Bolder cables, I thought the Etymotic ER-4S had better seperation and was clearer than the Sennheiser HD600, however I didn't enjoy the Etys for reasons explained here, and they were very uncomfortable for me. I'm not sure but I am probably a minority here. Other people who tried my system with the Etys really loved it... Have fun.
wink.gif

Jun 16, 2002 at 9:13 AM Post #15 of 25
I must say that i'm worried about this thread...

I have the HD580s, and in 10 days I'm getting the ER-4Ps... if you guys are comparing the two as sounding similar... I personally think that the HD580s blow in comparison to my CD1700s (no hecklers please
wink.gif
), sounding cold, thin... and - well, just not for me

Please don't tell me that i'm going to be disappointed with the ETYs?! - My primary use will be using them out of my main setup I think, as my portables, even my E905 are not as accurate as i'd like... and what I get from my main setup

Aaaaaaagh!!
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back