Senn HD-555
Aug 29, 2006 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ace o' Spades

500+ Head-Fier
I saw these on Headroom and I had to ask about them, I havn't heard much about them here.

I am looking to try the Senn sound signature. Is this a good buy? Mainly I am concerned with the soundstage and SQ, and if a pretty standard CMOY will be sufficient to drive them.

Would it be well worth the extra $$ to go for the 595?

Aug 29, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 9
Most people here will say to go for the 595 since they are more hi-fi. The 555 are considered mid-fi. I have them by the way, and I like them. Don't expect too much love for them here, though. I don't know why they are looked down upon. Many reviews I read (even from audiophiles) say the 555 do about 90% of what the 595 can do. I couldn't pay $60-$70 more just for that extra 10%. But for some, that makes all the difference.

If I had money, I'd probably have gone straight to 595. But I didn't. If I buy another Sennheiser again (which I will), it'd be the 580. I want to try those out!

Aug 29, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 9
I have them and think they're a good buy. CMOY should drive them just fine. IMO they only improve slightly with an amp, and are fairly easy to drive straight out of a portable.

Like Headroom describes, they have a very pleasing sound. I love them for laid back listening of classic, acoustical, jazz, or any mellow tunes. They're also VERY comfortable.

Many say the 595 improves a bit on every level, but a few have said that it's not worth the extra money. I haven't heard the 595, but I'll admit I'm considering the upgrade just to hear for myself.

Aug 29, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace o' Spades
Thans for the prompt replies! I just found Headrooms excellent discout on the HD555 and that sealed it. One more question though...

Are these headphones even suitable for rock?

suitable yes, but not perfect. it's one of the things that the 595's do better because of their up-front nature.

Aug 29, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 9
Someone round here likes them, because I remember buying them a few months ago after I saw a few people here recommend them.
wink.gif

I think my LDM+ improves them a lot, and I always use them over my Shure E4cs unless I need the isolation.

Aug 29, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #8 of 9
They certainly are a great set of cans. I love them to death. I also considered the HD595 to be too expensive, if it is only slightly better in terms of sound quality. By the way, I hooked it up to my amp (I just received it), a PA2V2, and the sound greatly benefited from it. It is now a little less laid-back, the bass as tightened a lot too. The highs seem to have extended. In my opinion, they definitively make the cans shine! I won't say it is needed though, as I can still listen to it unamped. Unamped, they seem more relaxed. As HeadRoom said, these cans are buttery smooth, and I do feel the same way about them. I would also add that I think they don't feel as warm or as clear as they was when unamped, so I might actually listen to them unamped every once in a while. It feels more relaxed. Unamped, they are more refined, more delicate. They have that "fall asleep" feeling. They are so soft. Gotta love that sound! Amping them (with the PA2V2) give these headphones some authority!

Great buy dude! You won't regret it!
eggosmile.gif

And I agree, incredibly comfy.

Aug 30, 2006 at 7:55 AM Post #9 of 9
I spent quite a bit of time with both the HD555 and HD595 recently and both were well burned in. Same amps (unamped even), same music. In my opinion the difference between the two is not 10% but nearer what I'd consider 40-50% in favor of the HD595. It'll all come down to personal taste of course but personally I don't think they're even close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back