Senn 600: The Two Hanging Wires
Nov 15, 2002 at 12:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

senn600help

New Head-Fier
Please excuse the lack of correct terminology in this email, as I'm a novice audiophile.

So, I have the senn600 headphones. As you know, there is a wire coming down from each phone. They annoy me, I want 1 wire. So what I did is take one of the wire and tape it over the top of the headphone, bring it down over the other side, and tape the 2 wires together. So, I wire. But this made them kind of tight around the neck, so i peeled the 2 wires apart about 2 feet down (not cut the wires, just kind of peeled the 2 apart so theres more slack. Maybe you know exactly what I'm saying, or maybe its totally unclear?).

Anyway, the question: Can you think of any reason why doing this is a bad idea? I cant think of any, as I didnt actually force anything or cut anything .... I cant imagine why taping 1 wire over the top could be harmful, and the "peeling" of the 2 wires apart so theres no slack didnt seem to damage them at all. And the sound is still perfect. But ... ? Is this something that others on this board have done, maybe in a different way? Im curious, and definitely I dont want to damage the headphones.

????
THANK YOU,
Mark

Nov 15, 2002 at 1:08 PM Post #2 of 18
No problem!

Nov 15, 2002 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 18
I don't see any problem with it. And if you do mess up, you can always order a new cable. I think the stock Senn cable is like $25 or something like that? You can find it here.

And hey, if it does screw it up, maybe it'll be a good excuse to pick up a Cardas cable
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2002 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 18
"I don't see any problem with it. And if you do mess up, you can always order a new cable. I think the stock Senn cable is like $25 or something like that? You can find it here.

And hey, if it does screw it up, maybe it'll be a good excuse to pick up a Cardas cable

maybe i want to get a "cardas cable" NOW? its a smart move? better sound? .... could it fix the "2 hanging wires" problem with the senn600 without me having to tape a wire over the top?

i saw the lebowski movie for the first time last week. great movie.

Nov 15, 2002 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 18
Sheesh, can't you live with a Y cord hanging from both sides? I used to be that kind of person who had preferred a single-sided cable. But all that single-cord design did was increase the complexity of the design of the headphones - and it also costs more $$$ to design a headphone with the sound quality of the HD 600's and a single-sided cord. So something had got to give - and in this case, unfortunately, when Sennheiser *tried* to replace its acclaimed HD 580 with the HD 590, some of the 580's sound quality got lost (the 590 turned out to be overly bright and a bit shrill compared to the 580).

Had Sennheiser designed its HD 600 with a single-sided cord instead of the current dual-sided cord, they wouldn't have set a $450 MSRP on those 'phones - but $600. And that $600 (or $400 even after discount) is certainly a rip-off compared to the $220 to $250 that many of us have been buying the HD 600 for.

In other words, I'd rather put up with the somewhat cumbersome Y-cord and have great bang for the buck than have a convenient single cord and pay WAY too much $$$ for the performance.

Nov 15, 2002 at 10:39 PM Post #8 of 18
"Post Pictures when you're done!"

i WOULD but no camera. it aint pretty but it feels awesome.

Eagle_Driver
1000+ Moderator

" Sheesh, can't you live with a Y cord hanging from both sides?"

can live with it, but i want more. i want absolute comfort.

"Had Sennheiser designed its HD 600 with a single-sided cord instead of the current dual-sided cord, they wouldn't have set a $450 MSRP on those 'phones - but $600. And that $600 (or $400 even after discount) is certainly a rip-off compared to the $220 to $250 that many of us have been buying the HD 600 for.

In other words, I'd rather put up with the somewhat cumbersome Y-cord and have great bang for the buck than have a convenient single cord and pay WAY too much $$$ for the performance."

my soon to be patented "Tape the Wire over the Top and Loosen the Slack in the Wires Method" (c) is free, fortunately. its now a single-sided cord. ... but i figured that this is a popular method to deal with this, or there are other ways besides buying a new cord? ? not that its the most important thing in the world, but its definitely much more comfortable now....

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2002 at 11:08 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by senn600help

maybe i want to get a "cardas cable" NOW? its a smart move? better sound? .... could it fix the "2 hanging wires" problem with the senn600 without me having to tape a wire over the top?

i saw the lebowski movie for the first time last week. great movie.

Well, I don't own a Cardas cable myself (saving pennies is a slow process)... but you can check out this review for starters:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...&threadid=8751

It's a bit of an expensive upgrade, and it won't solve your "2 hanging wires problem" unless you continue with your DIY (do it yourself) project. But it is supposed to sound a good deal better, if you have a good source and a good amp to match it. Check out the review in the thread I posted above.

Nov 15, 2002 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by LobsterSan
Well, I don't own a Cardas cable myself (saving pennies is a slow process)... but you can check out this review for starters:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...&threadid=8751

It's a bit of an expensive upgrade, and it won't solve your "2 hanging wires problem" unless you continue with your DIY (do it yourself) project. But it is supposed to sound a good deal better, if you have a good source and a good amp to match it. Check out the review in the thread I posted above.

i just read it, thanks!! seems like a hell of a cable. unfortunately i have a mediocre source and no amp, so my DIY project have to suffice for now, but the time will come ....

Nov 16, 2002 at 12:56 AM Post #12 of 18
No problem, but take care not to hang the entire weight of the cable off one connector. Not a problem unless you step on the cable, then one side catches the shock. I would fold the longer lead back so that the load is taken up by the taped wire.

Another option: got to RS and get one of those cell phone cord clips. Attach it to the Y cable about where the original split was. Now put the phones on from behind your head, so that the cable runs down your back. Reach back and clip the cable to the back of your shirt collar. Run the loops forward over your shoulders. Viola, absolute comfort. The cord seems to disappear. Set the clip position so that you can take the phones off your head and wear them around your neck, in case you need a break. This also gives enough lead length to turn your head.

Ergonomics are us.

gerG

Nov 16, 2002 at 1:43 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by sacd lover
Why would a single-sided cable have to raise the price of the sennheiser hd 600 so signifigantly?
confused.gif

I think eagle driver's point was that the single sided cord would mean an increase in R&D in design for the senn hd600, thus driving the price of it up.

I don't know that it would drive the price up THAT much, but who knows how much is spent on design and such?

Nov 16, 2002 at 1:49 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by LobsterSan
I think eagle driver's point was that the single sided cord would mean an increase in R&D in design for the senn hd600, thus driving the price of it up.

That's exactly what I mean.

Nov 16, 2002 at 8:57 AM Post #15 of 18
No problem, but take care not to hang the entire weight of the cable off one connector. Not a problem unless you step on the cable, then one side catches the shock. I would fold the longer lead back so that the load is taken up by the taped wire.

Thanks, thats an excellent idea. i hadnt thought of it, ill do it!!

Another option: got to RS and get one of those cell phone cord clips. Attach it to the Y cable about where the original split was. Now put the phones on from behind your head, so that the cable runs down your back. Reach back and clip the cable to the back of your shirt collar. Run the loops forward over your shoulders. Viola, absolute comfort. The cord seems to disappear. Set the clip position so that you can take the phones off your head and wear them around your neck, in case you need a break. This also gives enough lead length to turn your head.

yeah, i did do the behind the back method for a while, though without a clip .... aslo a good idea. .... if i step on the cord and wreck it ill use try it on the next cord

gerG
[/QUOTE]
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back