Senn 590s
Aug 30, 2002 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

acs236

Headphoneus Supremus
I plan on posting a review soon, possibly a detailed comparison with the 580s. Right now, I'm surprised at how similar they sound. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether they would find it more useful to read about a comparison to the 580s or Ety 4s? I don't think I'd do a good enough job of just reviewing them, but comparing I think I can handle.

Aug 30, 2002 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 39
Compare them to the 580's making sure that your amplification and source components are up to snuff.

Aug 30, 2002 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 39
I'm going to be using my META42 for amplication, and I'll use my H/K CD player as a source (though it is certainly not high end) -- that's the best I can do.

Aug 30, 2002 at 7:58 PM Post #5 of 39
What kind of META amp is it? Is it the "All out META?" If it's not, your comparison results may be skewed by less than stellar components.

Aug 30, 2002 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 39
Definitely compare to 580. Ety 4 is too different of a product Someone who is buying a HD590 is more likely going to look at the HD580 as an alternative purchase.

Aug 30, 2002 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 39
Bifcake,

I think I am going to start a HD590 fan club, would you like to join?.

I look forward to this comparison. I just got my RS-1's but my 590 is in route back from Sennheiser and so I haven't been able to compare it with the Grado. Soon I hope.

I sold the HD600's. You should have bought them from me.

Best
Brian

Aug 30, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #8 of 39
I'm sorry to say this, but today I just bought myself a pair of HD600s. Right now I'm listening to them from a Headroom Total Airhead amp that's connected to my Sony D-EJ1000 CD Walkman player. Going back to my HD590s... Their sound is a bit incoherent! The lower mids from my HD590s dominate over the upper mids - and the upper mids are recessed in comparison to the highs! And the HD590s are only slightly more efficient than my new HD600s. And the HD600s sound much more coherent, to boot.

You can see a full comparative review from me in a few hours.

Randall

Aug 30, 2002 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 39
It is by no means an " all out" META42. It's a portable, AD845s, 9v. I would imagine any bias from subpar amplification would be in favor of the 590s. I am very happy with the amp. The source is what concerns me most. I'll use both my H/K and Toshiba DVD player (6200, if you care).

To further complicate things, I have a Vision 1 that I could use with the 590.

Since I'm used to listening to the 580s, I believe I will just put in some general non-critical listening on the 590s this weekend, and start comparing them to the 580s next week.

Aug 31, 2002 at 8:00 AM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by bkelly
Bifcake,

I think I am going to start a HD590 fan club, would you like to join?.

I look forward to this comparison. I just got my RS-1's but my 590 is in route back from Sennheiser and so I haven't been able to compare it with the Grado. Soon I hope.

I sold the HD600's. You should have bought them from me.

Best
Brian

Brian,

I'd love to join your 590 fan club! I'll serve as the voice of reason. It'll be like being back in kindergarten again. I'll be like the teacher:

"Now, now kids... put away your 590 toys. We're going to have a serious music listening lesson now. Brian, I know you want to play with your toy... yes, I know you like it... No Brian, you may not take it for critical listening... Yes, I know you think they sound good, but this is serious time now. Play time is over... If you're a good boy, I'll let you play with Etymotics later."

Sep 2, 2002 at 1:21 AM Post #13 of 39
Bifcake,

You are nuts! Your saving grace is that you are also very funny.

Best
Brian

Sep 2, 2002 at 4:14 AM Post #14 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by bifcake

Brian,

I'd love to join your 590 fan club! I'll serve as the voice of reason. It'll be like being back in kindergarten again. I'll be like the teacher:

"Now, now kids... put away your 590 toys. We're going to have a serious music listening lesson now. Brian, I know you want to play with your toy... yes, I know you like it... No Brian, you may not take it for critical listening... Yes, I know you think they sound good, but this is serious time now. Play time is over... If you're a good boy, I'll let you play with Etymotics later."

tongue.gif

Sep 2, 2002 at 4:28 AM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by bifcake
Brian,

[size=medium]ROTFLMAO!![/size]
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Now that reminds me of the experience that I have had debating with Magicthyse over his so-called virtues of those Sony you-know-whats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back