senn 580 jack question
Feb 17, 2004 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SportaJoe

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I know this subject gets beat to death around here, but i wanted to ask if anyone has experimented with changing the jack inside the headphone, Ive seen this done to grados, (put minis in, so the cord pulled out (i believe its in the grado collective mods at Headwize) And wondered why it couldnt be done to senns. Looking at my 580,s it looks like a mini might have a hard time getting deep enough due to the rectangular slot. Maybe there is a plug with a similar shape but different ends thats commercially available. Hell you could have wires coming out with the jacks hanging down aways( probably not the best ) I think theres springs in the stock jacks and am guessing there is a very good reason this is not done. But it would certainly make it easier to DIY a cable. Anybody ever looked into this?

Feb 17, 2004 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 6
Hey Hajime, Your the guy i had in mind when i made this post. I am not a Diy,er (yet) or very good with electronics. But i see all these posts about cables and finding the senn jacks and such. If you cant find the senn male jack. Change the female Jack! Seems so simple. Like I said, Not having much experience i figured there was a valid reason this couldnt be done, It wouldnt be for everyone, and with the price of a decent cable down to 55, 60 bucks it would be less hassle to go that route. But for some of you hardcore guys that make cmoys the size of a quarter, i have no doubt it could be done. Think of the freedom of trying different cable types without having to dick around with the stock jacks. I even foresee a side-business. Hajimes 580/600 jack mod
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2004 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 6
not so easy task guy, have you ever looked inside?

Feb 17, 2004 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by SportaJoe
Hey Hajime, Your the guy i had in mind when i made this post. I am not a Diy,er (yet) or very good with electronics. But i see all these posts about cables and finding the senn jacks and such. If you cant find the senn male jack. Change the female Jack! Seems so simple.

I've wanted to do this on a few headphones just to see what the result is, but I just haven't had the time. I really dislike the sennheiser adapters - I don't know what the heck the guys at Sennheiser were thinking when they designed them. I think that rather than having an 1/8" mini jack right in the cup it might be better to have a small length of cable coming out of the adapter and then have a light locking jack. This would keep whatever cable from slipping out and would be easier (and less frightening) than drilling a hole in the earcup.
Quote:

I even foresee a side-business. Hajimes 580/600 jack mod
biggrin.gif

Hoo boy. If I do manage it I'll most likely make the design fully open source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back