Senn 280's vs Sony V6's/ 7605
Sep 23, 2002 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Cheeba-Fi

New Head-Fier
I currently own a pair of Grado 325's and an old pair of Senn 560's, but now I'm looking for a pair of closed cans for my train/ subway commute and possibly some beatmatching in the future. I've searched the forums here and at Headwize with spotty results. I would really like see more comparative information from people who have heard both the Senn 280's and the Sony V6's/ 7605's. I will be ordering both this coming week (I live way out in the sticks) and intend to break both pair in for at least 72 hrs. before comparison, but I'm interested to see what other people think. Let me hear from you. Thanks! I have a similar posting on Headwize.

Namastay,
Cheeba-fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2002 at 8:06 AM Post #2 of 24
I'm also curious...

I have the 280 pro's and I think I'm going to just go ahead and get the 7506 and compare the two myself.

And return the one that I'm not as satisfied with. For studio purposes.

Sep 24, 2002 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 24
Badtz,

What is your impression of the 280's thus far? How long have you had them/ broken them in?

Sep 25, 2002 at 8:50 AM Post #4 of 24
They've been broken in for about 100+ hours.

The sound is DEFINITELY a huge jump from when I first received the unit [my 3rd unit, first two got busted].

the sound i'm very happy with. on mine, the bass is not too "in your face" and present. The bass is at a good level, relative to the rest.

what i like [imo] is the all the sounds are very distinguished [maybe from the music I listen to].

isolation is great. and it's comfortable [for me].

i just wish it looked better on a person's head
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2002 at 8:52 AM Post #5 of 24
They've been broken in for about 100+ hours.

The sound is DEFINITELY a huge jump from when I first received the unit [my 3rd unit, first two got busted].

the sound i'm very happy with. on mine, the bass is not too "in your face" and present. The bass is at a good level, relative to the rest.

what i like [imo] is the all the sounds are very distinguished [maybe from the music I listen to].

isolation is great. and it's comfortable [for me].

i just wish it looked better on a person's head
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2002 at 8:55 AM Post #6 of 24
I second what Badtz says about the sound, except for the bass which is very deficient for my choice of music (and maybe even deficient for things like chamber music!) on 'flat' EQ, and comfort, which is head-size and pin/blockhead dependent, but the looks, oh the looks...

All I can say is unless you particularly want to look 'special' don't get these for commuting
biggrin.gif

Dunnow whan Badtz is getting the 7506, but I'll have a pair in a couple of weeks. I'm gonna compare them with the 280 and the DT250-80. MacDEF's apparently done a comparison already although I can't find it, and I'll let you know if it turned out any differently for me...

Sep 26, 2002 at 3:21 PM Post #8 of 24
badtz,

Thanks for the MacDEF lead. I guess I overlooked that post. Its the best comparison description I've seen.
biggrin.gif
Here is the link:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...threadid=17160

Magicthyse,

Thanks for you input. I like your website. Do you think the bass response of the 280's is corrected or improved by powering it with an amp?

As for the looks well, I'll just have to see. If I like the sound I don't mind geeking out for 2hrs (the length of my commute, one way).

Namastay,
Cheeba-fi

Sep 26, 2002 at 6:25 PM Post #9 of 24
OK - taking the looks out of the equation for the moment - as hard as that is for me to do
very_evil_smiley.gif
- here's the lowdown on the lows of the HD280.

The HD280 has very good isolation, so it provides outstanding reduction in outside high-and-mid frequency sounds. As you know, the basic boom-rattle-rattle that you feel on a train can't be attenuated by any headphone, and this is where an increased bass respone on the phone comes in handy to overpower that noise to balance out what you're hearing.

The problem with the HD280 is that the bass response is that overly well-behaved that you're left with a 'bthup' instead of a 'boom'. The response certainly is there - it goes quite low - but the volume doesn't. In my experience, adding an amp helps but not as much as I would like - Some EQ, specifically in the low bass, would definitely be handy - although you can't drive the HD280 to a very high level bass without distortion.

It really depends on what type of music you listen to - I'm sure a Radiohead, Bach or Country fan would be perfectly fine, but a Rage Against The Machine fan would be, well, raging against the machine
biggrin.gif

Sep 27, 2002 at 1:47 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
although you can't drive the HD280 to a very high level bass without distortion.

yes you can. they are great phones. they have loads of isolation! the v6 sounds pretty good, too but not as much isolation or soundstage. i recommend 280pros.

Sep 27, 2002 at 2:20 AM Post #12 of 24
Guys,
I feel very surprise that no one talks about Denon AH-D950. I've just bought this headphone from Acid, and man oh....man this thing sound excellent. Being sealed headphone as it is, the 950 provide very nice acoustic environment. The drivers are the same size as those of the V6. The bass notes on this phones are nothing short of spectacular. The high is crystal clear and instruments seperation are great. I really think this headphone is much better than the V6. It has everything that the V6 has to offer, improve all the cons of the V6(imaging, harsh high, and lack of midrange...). It also very efficient, 30 ohms of impedance rating. It sounds great just about everything I plug it in. I use the denon with my Discman, and Meta42. My headphones of reference are Senn HD-580, Sony MDR-V6, Sony CD-1700, and grado Sr-225.

Purk

Sep 27, 2002 at 2:30 AM Post #13 of 24
purk,
It is strange isn't it? It seems like it used to be recommended all the time as good cheap closed phones, and now nobody talks about them anymore.

Sep 27, 2002 at 2:51 AM Post #14 of 24
Fiddler,
I would not say that the Denon is cheap, although it is not that expensive. The listed price is around 199 dollars, but you can buy it for 130 dollars. I was very surprised that no one ever mentioned them any more. They are great souding can....and to me...way better than the V6. It doesn't need a headphone amp to sound good, b/c It already sound great. I wish people in this board pay more attention on this phone. I highly recommend them. They hardly anything faults about this headphone. I got it for 75 dollars from Acid, truely a bargain. I'm thinking about selling the V6 now. By the way, Denon equips with 6N LC-OFC cord (99.9999% high purity copper). This cord is also features in the 4000 dollars Sony MDR-R10.

Purk

Sep 27, 2002 at 2:56 AM Post #15 of 24
Hey, thanks for the tip on the ADH-950 Denons. They do look, I mean um sound, really interesting. I was just fishing around for reviews of them on the net and everyone seems to love them. I'll have to think about them seriously. Does anyone know anything about the cheaper (ADH-650 etc.) Denons? Are they a pretty steep step down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back