Senn 280 pro's :: after two weeks....
Jul 25, 2002 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

badtz

100+ Head-Fier
I'm sure some/most of this is redundant, but I wanted to give my whole impression of these phones.......
frown.gif
/
smily_headphones1.gif

This is all coming from a studio referencing point of view.......

My main song for reference [for those familiar with this piece] was John Creamer & Stephane K - I Wish You Were Here . There's a lot of hi's and that low [and long] bass that comes in half way makes this [imo] a good reference piece. [i also used other songs, fyi]

For those that have seen my previous posts, I definitely was NOT satisfied with them when I first bought them. The highs/mids I was satisfied, but the mid-bass and low-bass, was definitely lacking! Bigtime!

Taking the suggestion of some on the board to do a burn-in, so I did a 40 hr. burn-in over the course of roughly 5 days. Randomly @ 8 hr. intervals.

After the burn-in..........

The highs & mids are still GREAT! I found them to by very clear/accurate. The mid-bass/low-bass has opened up a little bit more, but I wish they extended just a little bit more. maybe they will overtime with more burn-in?

I also listened to my friend's Sony V-600:: in comparison, these offer lower bass, but overall the phones are slightly colored. and everything [esp. on the low-end] the sound seems rounded-off. Not much clarity......

Can someone help with some suggestions to the following questions, any help is appreciated::::

would adding a headphone amp help broaden out the soundscape and maybe bring out a little more of the low-end?

how are these phones compared to the Sony V6/7506? Should I keep these or switch? how's the high/mid/low on them versus this?

Would not having the extended low-end be better? since i'll end up mixing songs w/out too much low-bass?

is there anyway that one side can sound louder than the other? or is it maybe that one of my ears has deafened a little? [which i doubt/hope not
smily_headphones1.gif
]

should I consider the HD25, 250-80's, or the 770pro's? how are they versus the 280pro? [production purposes] which one's need a headphone amp to be sufficient?

hope this helps a little bit for some, and any additional questions are welcomed & hopefully some can help me also
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2002 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 6
would adding a headphone amp help broaden out the soundscape and maybe bring out a little more of the low-end?

how are these phones compared to the Sony V6/7506? Should I keep these or switch? how's the high/mid/low on them versus this?

Would not having the extended low-end be better? since i'll end up mixing songs w/out too much low-bass?

is there anyway that one side can sound louder than the other? or is it maybe that one of my ears has deafened a little? [which i doubt/hope not ]

should I consider the HD25, 250-80's, or the 770pro's? how are they versus the 280pro? [production purposes] which one's need a headphone amp to be sufficient?

Jul 26, 2002 at 1:05 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Badtz

I've found that an amp really helps bring out the low end with these phones. The Airhead worked just fine, but I was really impressed with the Cmoy (built by JMT) that ran off of two 9v. Maybe the extra voltage helped.

Jul 26, 2002 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 6
i was lookin' into a jmt amp, but would the meta42 amps be better for the 280's? or are they built primarily for other headphones?

are the phones still acceptable for studio purposes after amp usage?

Jul 26, 2002 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 6
I have META42 as well -- the 280s sound very good out of it, definitely a good choice. Using an amp won't physically effect the headphones in such a way that you won't be able to use them in the studio -- to the best of my knowledge.

Jul 26, 2002 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Badtz
e phones.......
frown.gif
/
smily_headphones1.gif

This is all coming from a studio referencing point of view.......

but the mid-bass and low-bass, was definitely lacking! Bigtime!

Taking the suggestion of some on the board to do a burn-in, so I did a 40 hr. burn-in over the course of roughly 5 days. Randomly @ 8 hr. intervals.

After the burn-in..........

I also listened to my friend's Sony V-600:: in comparison, these offer lower bass, but overall the phones are slightly colored. and everything [esp. on the low-end] the sound seems rounded-off. Not much clarity......
how are these phones compared to the Sony V6/7506?

is there anyway that one side can sound louder than the other? or is it maybe that one of my ears has deafened a little? [which i doubt/hope not
smily_headphones1.gif
]

hope this helps a little bit for some, and any additional questions are welcomed & hopefully some can help me also
smily_headphones1.gif

There is no way in the world that the v600 has deeper bass then the 280!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think that you need your hearing checked, either that or you have a faulty pair. exchange them, the 280 pro is much better then the v6, in evey way. i use both, and i love the v6! the 280 pro has deeep bass, deeper then the v6. yours must be faulty, or you must have bad hearing. or you have a horrible source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back