SENHEISSER HD598 - Replacing the adapter
Sep 13, 2011 at 12:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Amnesiac1

Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm wondering how everyone feels about the adapter included with the Senheisser HD598. I've been using it to connect the headphones to my iMac and it's worked just fine so far, but would I notice a significant difference if I replaced the adapter with another one?

I need a male to female adapter, right? 

Do you think that any old, 8 dollar adapter from RadioShack would suffice as a replacement?

Sep 13, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #2 of 12
Well, I kind of hate the adapter since if you're not careful you could break either it or the port it's plugged into pretty easily.  Grado and Cardas, I think, offer 1/4-1/8 adapters that have a small cable between that should alleviate these problems, though.  Doubt either would make any discernible difference to the sound though.

Sep 14, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 12
I don't think I can pick up either a Grado or Cardas without dropping nearly thirty dollars or more (to ship the adapters to Canada). 

That's why I'm wondering if a cheaper, 10 dollar adapter from Radioshack would do the trick...

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
I don't think I can pick up either a Grado or Cardas without dropping nearly thirty dollars or more (to ship the adapters to Canada). 

That's why I'm wondering if a cheaper, 10 dollar adapter from Radioshack would do the trick...

Hm, well, if it looks like it should work, then I'm sure it will...is it the same sort of adapter though?  I've never seen that kind there before...

Sep 14, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #5 of 12
I think I could buy the adapter and ship it to you for WAY less than that, mine was 10 dollars shipped, if you're willing to cover like the 3-4 dollar shipping to get it to you, I'd be more than happy to mail one out to you.

I'm using a Sennheiser one for my RS-2i (bought this one without the adapter)

Sep 14, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
I think I could buy the adapter and ship it to you for WAY less than that, mine was 10 dollars shipped, if you're willing to cover like the 3-4 dollar shipping to get it to you, I'd be more than happy to mail one out to you.

I'm using a Sennheiser one for my RS-2i (bought this one without the adapter)

Which adapter would you be able to buy for 10 dollars shipped? Or, I guess I should say, which is better? The Cardas or the Grado?

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 12
Sep 15, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #8 of 12
I really appreciate the offer but I think it would easier for both sides if I just find something suitable at a store near here...

Has anyone here ever tried to use multiple hook ups to alleviate strain? Like one cord to a coupler to something else... someone was just trying to explain to me how to achieve such a thing. It involves there separate hook-ups that allows, in the end, for less strain on your computer jack. Is this a good method or should I just find an adapter with more slack?

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #11 of 12
I bought a custom made cable from Custom-Cable.co.uk
It terminates to a 3.5 mm plug and made to be 1.2 meters long. Its £15.99 for the replacement cable and £12.50 for the customization. The process took about 2 weeks to reach me in the US.
http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/headphone-spares/sennheiser-en/headphone-leads/sennheiser-hd598-replacement-lead-3m.html

P.S. I hope this doesn't come through sounding like a Spam post. But it was my solution, I hated the 9 foot cord and that adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back