Sending my ER-4P's back.
Jun 14, 2004 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

stream

New Head-Fier
Well, I've tried them out over the last few days, and while I like the sound, I just don't like how they feel. They're not uncomfortable by any means...it just feels like there's a crayon stuck down my ear. Plus, I do a lot of moving around during the day - lots of walking around and talking to people at work - so these obviously aren't suited for that. When I start walking around, it feels like someone is using a crayon to stir the contents of my ears
wink.gif
Not to mention the microphonics from the cord.

Perhaps the Shure E1 or E2's would be more suited to me? They're more like the "hang in your ears" style of headphones, as opposed to the "shove them down your ear canal" style.

They sure did sound better than those iPod headphones though
frown.gif

-Jesse

Jun 14, 2004 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 16
the er-4's are, ergonomically, one of the poorest designs i have ever encountered.

they sound alright though.

Jun 14, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #5 of 16
i dont think the etys are poorly designed. for some people, it requires a little time for getting use to.

but in your case, the etys or shures will not suit you. the shures will also be shoved down your ears. i dont know how they feel though, but i completely understand what you mean with the etys. i just couldnt standing the crazy itch everytime i walked with them on. anyways, if you do a lot of walking and talking, perhaps learn to live without having phones during these times? i dont think you really need top of the line phones to enjoy your music while you walk.

Jun 14, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #6 of 16
I just went through a similar thing with my e3s. For me the feeling was like having Q-tips too far in my ear. So I'll give you the same advice I got......it's normal for them to feel strange at first, give it a couple weeks, you'll probably get used to them, I did.

Jun 14, 2004 at 5:10 AM Post #7 of 16
I went through the same "something is stuffed down my ear canal" thing and eventually came to terms with the feeling, but they still bothered me some. What ultimately did it for me was cutting off the smallest lobe of the tri-flange tips. Now I don't get any of that "stuffed up" feeling, and I can get a perfect seal instantly.

I also have gotten to the point where the microphonics don't bother me.

Still, there are some limitations of all canal phones. Unless you'd otherwise be wearing earplugs on the job, they are inconvenient. If you need to talk with people regularly, taking them out and putting them back in is still somewhat of a pain, even modifed as noted above.

I use them regularly in the workshop, mowing the lawn, etcetera, and really have no problem with them in that context. OTOH, I tried biking with them the other day (on a trail), and the occlusion effect (I think that's what it's called) really bothered me as I went over bumpy or rippled spots on the trail.

Jun 14, 2004 at 7:54 AM Post #9 of 16
My recommendation: go with your instinct.

If it says, test them out for another few days, do so.

If it doesn't, ditch them.

I still don't like my Ety's after some months and the microphonics sure hasn't gotten any better (with clip, with around ears, with very slight insert, with the new cord).

Then again, I do like them what they are: unnaturally flat frequency response, which is good for audiological and psychoacoustic testing.

But that's just me. YMMV.

Jun 14, 2004 at 2:12 PM Post #11 of 16
all i can say is give them all the time you can. I didnt experience any of the problems most people mention eg. the shoving them in ur head even the first time i wore them i luved the feel (using foamies).

the detail is tremendous and neva stops me smiling
smily_headphones1.gif
i just cant get over the fact that the noise is coming from these absolutly tiny things in my ears.

so yer i just hope that if u give them a chance they will give you the same idea... im in love hehe.

cheers guys
-jake

Jun 14, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #12 of 16
One possible solution . . .

Ety_4s_Macro2.jpg

This is a pic of my Westone mods for my Ety's. Heavenly.
Despite tight budget constraints, I was willing to try the Westone mods because I love the Ety sound and wasn't willing to give it up for discomfort (which for me was substantial).
Apparently, some people have "mobile canals" which change shape as the jaw moves- in my case, sufficiently to cause perceptible differences in hearing with my mouth closed vs. open. (Hey kids you can try this at home! Just concentrate on the sounds around you right now. First listen w/ mouth closed, then with mouth wide open. Closed, then open. Strange, isn't it?)

Edit: I've spent a bit of time on this today and have found that white or pink noise seems to provide the best "baseline" tone from which to determine if the "mobile canal" effect is occurring (try turning on a semi-loud fan with no ambient noise and repeat the above procedure).

As if you won't get enough strange looks with your Ety's, try walking around with your mouth wide open.

While I can't say if "mobile canals" are to blame, I can say that the comfort and isolation of the mods are phenomenal.

Jun 14, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by JB.
One possible solution . . .

Apparently, some people have "mobile canals" which change shape as the jaw moves- in my case, sufficiently to cause perceptible differences in hearing with my mouth closed vs. open. (Hey kids you can try this at home! Just concentrate on the sounds around you right now. First listen w/ mouth closed, then with mouth wide open. Closed, then open. Strange, isn't it?)

Interestingly, I dont know if this is what you are describing, but with my etys on, and my mouth wide open like i'm yawning, I can actually hear sound through my mouth! I'm thinking that it might have something to do with the eustuchian tubes that run from the back of my throat to the ears. I came to this conclusion because the etys did not move at all and seemed to retail a good seal...

sorry for being off topic
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2004 at 10:20 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon
Did you mold reduce the microphonics significantly?

Does it affect ER-4P maintenance?

(Those are 4S's)
I can't comment on the effect of the mods on microphonics because I never really found it to be a problem. By using the clip, I got used to moving in such a way as to avoid it. I can say that when it does happen on occasion it doesn't bother me as much as it did before the mods- whether this is due to habituation or some other sensory adaptation or due to the mods themselves I can't say.

Maintenance hasn't been a problem so far. The only real issue is initially having to kill a pair of filters because the mods require placing a filter at the end of the canal projection.

I continue to keep them clean with Wet-Nap's or with a small bottle of diluted isopropyl alcohol and a soft rag, less effort for me than keeping the silicone or foam clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back