Semi-open planar.. Dekoni blue?
Nov 23, 2022 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

PetalMasher

New Head-Fier
Hello, this is what I am already listening to:
1. Amazon music---LG G70--- Grado se 80x or Beyerdynamic DT-770-pro (80 ohm) or Panasonic RP-HTX7

2. Amazon Music--- Schiit Modi3--- Xduoo MT 602--- Grado se 80x or Beyerdynamic DT-770-pro (80 ohm) or Panasonic RP-HTX7

The Panasonic.. I bought it forever ago in Japan (2011), long story, but I was stuck in Tokyo for a month spending hours every day on the subway. They sound good no matter what you plug them into, they are closed-back so they don't bother the person next to you. They hold a special place in my heart, I'll have them until either I or the headphones finally die.

I got the LG phone, probably 5 years ago. The noticeably better than previous phone's sound quality inspired me to buy more headphones. First the 770s and then the Grados. I now use the G7 as a DAP

Thus far, I rationalize buying headphones based on the fact that they have different purposes:
I have my travel headphones (The Panasonic), the open-back headphone for listening in a quiet room (the Grados), closed back for at-home while I want sound quality while also blocking out background noise (the 770s). Now, I have a headphone amp (Xduoo MT 602) that should be able to power most things, so I'd like to try a planar. My other headphones are on the bright side, which I like most times, but maybe I should go for something warmer and since I don't already have one, semi-open would be good. I probably don't want to spend more than $300, and all other things being equal, cheaper is better. From what I can see, I think the Dekoni Blue (Fostex t-50 MOD) looks pretty good. Does anyone know of anything else that fits the criteria (Simi-open, Planar, warm-ish sound >$300)

Nov 24, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 7
From the measurements I've seen, (and from the opinions of people I trust) Dekoni Blue is objectively the worst tuned Fostex T-50 mod.
Literally any other version of the Fostex T-50 is better, even stock Fostex version.

Nov 24, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #4 of 7
I had heard a lot about the original pads being bad... So just the original with a pad upgrade might be a better option?
Ooh, interesting.
My knowledge is certainly based off the original version. I didn't even know there was a revision.
I mean... after that debut, I had no reason to look back at them :p

Nov 24, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #6 of 7
sorry, when I said "original version" I was thinking of the the non-modified t-50
ooooooooh okay, that makes a lot more sense now.

yes, looking at the blue's pads, that would explain where most of the issues arise.
If I recall correctly, there is almost no damping involved inside the headphone itself.

Nov 24, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #7 of 7
ooooooooh okay, that makes a lot more sense now.

yes, looking at the blue's pads, that would explain where most of the issues arise.
If I recall correctly, there is almost no damping involved inside the headphone itself.
Well, Modhouse I think does change the damping. I am not sure what Dekoni's mods are but there is a thread here.

Anyway thanks for your opinion. They're on sale here for cheap and I was thinking... but no :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back