Selling the Band Name... annoying
Apr 30, 2009 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mbd2884

Headphoneus Supremus
I find it pretty annoying when a single band member uses the former band's name to sell. Very misleading.

Top examples:

Guns n Roses, but then I don't like Axel Rose anyways, arrogant sob. If all the original former members decided to leave because Axel is a dick, how is it still Guns n Roses? One member?

Lynrd Skynrd - This band should not exist, mostly because almost all the original members are dead. Truly pathetic how Johnny Van Zant continues to his brother's band's name. I mean what the hell? John wasn't even the lead singer of the original crew to begin with.

Anyone else know of bands similar and disgusted? It's misleading to the point when you look at Guns n Roses trying to gain publicity for their latest album. But... that's not Guns n Roses...

Apr 30, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 14
Before The Guess Who reunited quite a few years ago, the bassist and drummer were touring under the same name without Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings, presumably playing much smaller venues than they were on the reunion tour.
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 14
Black Sabbath changed members a few times. Had Ozzy Osborne as a singer, then Ronnie James Dio, etc.

Kiss changed members a few times but still kept Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley, who were the brains of it all.

Ac/Dc changed singers years ago, as well as Bad Company.

Theres many bands who have changed members.

Apr 30, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #7 of 14
Flying Burrito Brothers, Poco, Pure Prairie League, Little Feat.
Groups which are continued with some former members, but they put the band name to shame.

May 1, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pink Floyd, anyone?

How so? When Gilmour or Waters perform PF songs, they do it under their own names (as far as I know) unless you mean the tours done without Waters while the band was still together.

May 1, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #10 of 14
Journey

I was pissed when someone gave us tickets only to realize after getting there that Steve Perry had been replaced with some kind of 5 dollar clone. TGH the guy wasnt too bad. Turned out OK.

May 1, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Journey

I was pissed when someone gave us tickets only to realize after getting there that Steve Perry had been replaced with some kind of 5 dollar clone. TGH the guy wasnt too bad. Turned out OK.

Arnel Pineda ( had to look it up because I couldn't remember his name ) sounds sickeningly close to Steve Perry. It's a rare case when a band can switch lead singers and sound almost exactly the same. Both are great singers.

I agree on the earlier comments about Lynyrd Skynyrd and Guns 'n' Roses. I saw Skynyrd at a free show in upstate NY (Fort Drum) about 12 years ago and they sounded good, but definitely not like they used to. Guns 'n' Roses on the other hand, are completely different. If Slash and Axl were both still in the band they could retain the name. I am a big fan of Slash's playing, and unfortunately Axl "The ******" Rose has a signature voice that the band can't be without.

With Pink Floyd it becomes more compicated. Even when the band was still complete there was an era for both "Waters Floyd" and "Gilmour Floyd". I'm ok with David Gilmour using the name since he had the whole band (except Waters) touring with him. For the most part, the only Waters-lead album they played was of course, The Wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back