Selling iBasso T4 to buy D3 a good move?
Jan 17, 2009 at 9:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Fumoffuru

Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I recently purchased an iBasso T4 to use with my Cowon D2 and Klipsch X10/PX100s. While happy about the sound, it never seemed to improve the sound as much as I would like. I've connected the T4 to my computer and the sound is much improved, but as for my D2 the SQ remains relatively similar. Slightly deeper and quicker bass and highs are somewhat cleaner. I do not plan on spending a great deal of money on audio equipment, and thought that maybe selling the T4 and purchasing the iBasso D3 to amp both my computer and my mp3 player would be viable. Is this a reasonably good plan? Or is the time and money spent not really justifiable?

Thank you for your time and help.

Jan 17, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 8
Does the Cowon D2 have a line out socket or are you using the headphone socket?

I would say the D3 is a good buy for the USB DAC with your computer but I don't know if you'll get any benefit with the amp over the T4.

Steven.

Jan 17, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by swayne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the Cowon D2 have a line out socket or are you using the headphone socket?

I would say the D3 is a good buy for the USB DAC with your computer but I don't know if you'll get any benefit with the amp over the T4.

Steven.

The Cowon D2 has no line out. You can only connect it to the hp amp through its hp out.

Jan 17, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 8
If you are coming from the headphone out then you will be limited by the internal amp of the Cowon and this is not the ideal way to go. The T4 is just amplifying the sound from the amp section of the Cowon. I think the T4 has a pretty good amp section. Having said that, the D3 is better but again what you get depends upon the source.

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... the D3 is better but again what you get depends upon the source.

Hear, hear! this bears repeating. The begining of the path will direct where you are going and how much fun you will have while getting there.

Jan 18, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #6 of 8
Doing some more research on this and other forums, many seem to say that the Cowon D2 doesn't really benefit from amping at all. If this is the case, I may just sell the T4 and pass by on an amp altogether. Also, I was planning on buying a pair of Yuin PK1's, would that pair well without the T4? Or should I just keep that.

Pardon my billions of questions.

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 8
The Yuin PK1 is a fantastic bud, I have used it w/ various amps from iBasso (D2, P3, and D3) and it sounds great out of them. A pity I sold them after getting the OK1, next week I should receive a T4 and a D10 and I could have given you an opinion.

BTW, opinions are like belly buttons we all have one. Ideally you should try to go to a meet and listen to gear so YOU make the decision. Good luck.

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fumoffuru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doing some more research on this and other forums, many seem to say that the Cowon D2 doesn't really benefit from amping at all. If this is the case, I may just sell the T4 and pass by on an amp altogether. Also, I was planning on buying a pair of Yuin PK1's, would that pair well without the T4? Or should I just keep that.

Pardon my billions of questions.

The D2 is the only DAP I know of that can drive the PK1 without a problem (I have and use this combination myself).
The headphone out of the D2 is the most powerful of any DAP I know, which may also be the cause that the T4 doesn't actually add much to that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back