Selling/Buying Ethics & Fellow Head-Fier's
Dec 2, 2002 at 11:20 PM Post #46 of 51
I agree, Happy, we've got quite a community here. And maybe it's time we started trusting each other enough not to assume automatically that someone reselling a used product for modest gain is trying to make a living off of us?

Dec 2, 2002 at 11:29 PM Post #47 of 51
I think the original post was more about to know if Head-Fi is a special place or a place where the market rules.

I've personnaly no problem with the fact to buy things used and sell them later for a better price. That's how my parent's house is fulled of nice furniture, paintings and old books.

The problem is to know if these rules apply on head-fi. I am pretty new here and I've been on many forums before, but it's the first time I see such a clean marketplace (the feedback forum is amazing). I understand Jpelg, I wouldn't do deals here the same way I would on ebay.

Dec 3, 2002 at 7:20 AM Post #48 of 51
I have no qualms about buying things for cheap and selling them for a profit. I never low ball someone for their item for sale, and I never rip anyone off when I sell it. I also never feel bad if I get a good deal on something and can sell it for a profit to offset the costs of my spending on certain items like audio equipment and other things. My lifestyle and profession are a bit different than most here, and as such I, at times, need to find creative ways to earn some additional money.

I respect and admire JPelg's attitude about selling things to others for a profit, but the problem enters when one expects others to do what you do. Without knowing the reason(s) that person did such a thing, it is only speculation anyway. How would you feel if you found out his father died and he had to sell his audio stuff to pay for a funeral? Bad I assume. I can only control what I do, and I try to never expect others to treat me with the same treatment I show them. I treat others as I would want to be treated, but never put a thought into expecting the same treatment! I try to be very appreciative for what I receive, making sure to be thankful for whatever it is, but when someone takes without being thankful or appreciative, I don't let it get to me.

The one thing I do feel is somewhat indebted to the many people here who have been so helpful with advice, have given so much of their time to help others and myself. For that reason I will generally give them a better deal on something I am selling because of that. Whether they can afford it or not I don't care. As a small gesture I gave a $16 tube to Hirsch to say thanks for letting my father and I listen to his stuff and for setting it all up for us. I could have accepted the $16 for the tube, but it was my way of saying thanks. It also helped him match up a pair of tubes he didn't have before, and I was happy to do it and would do it again given the chance!! A wise man once said it is better to give than receive!! Far too often we clench our fists and cling to what we have and miss the incredible blessing it is to give to someone else.

Dec 3, 2002 at 10:05 AM Post #49 of 51
From what I've seen, most sellers here do not sell at a profit. On the contrary, most sell it at reduced price. And that's the way I like it! You can be confident that you're not being taken advantage of on Head-Fi.

Also, there's alot more trust around here, and that's a huge added bonus.

Hopefully, things will not change much in these regards.

One more thing, when I put something up for sale, I tend to leave a bit of room for haggling. That's half the fun.

Dec 3, 2002 at 11:07 AM Post #50 of 51
Initially my thoughts were, that really sucks! Then after reading the last couple of posts it really made me feel warm & fuzzy all over. Head-fi is such a really great community and I am glad to be a part of it. I only hope that I can contribute to it one day.

This says it all for me about this matter:

Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador

I respect and admire JPelg's attitude about selling things to others for a profit, but the problem enters when one expects others to do what you do. Without knowing the reason(s) that person did such a thing, it is only speculation anyway. How would you feel if you found out his father died and he had to sell his audio stuff to pay for a funeral? Bad I assume. I can only control what I do, and I try to never expect others to treat me with the same treatment I show them. I treat others as I would want to be treated, but never put a thought into expecting the same treatment! I try to be very appreciative for what I receive, making sure to be thankful for whatever it is, but when someone takes without being thankful or appreciative, I don't let it get to me.

Dec 3, 2002 at 11:57 AM Post #51 of 51
I sell stuff for what it takes for me to part with it. I buy stuff if I want it and the asking price isn't prohibitive/outrageous.

The worst thing is when someone thinks they got a bad deal and stews over it for ever. No questions, comments, no chance to make it right. I don't think I've ever disappointed anyone here (and it wasn't me that bought/sold the item that started the thread) but I wouldn't know because some people even ignore PMs asking "are you happy with item X?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back