Sell my Ultrasone Proline 750 for Sennheiser HD 598?
Nov 25, 2011 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bkchurch

Head-Fier
So awhile back I was considering adding my second pair of cans to my Head-Fi collection. I've had my Proline 750s for four years and I love them. They're the cans that got me into the whole Head-Fi thing and arguably the first piece of high quality audio equipment I'd ever owned. So I decided it was time to add an open can to my collection and the HD 598 seemed to fit the bill. Not long after I made this decision some stuff happened that made it economically not feasible.

So these days I've been thinking it might be worth it to part ways with the Ultrasones and get the 598s instead. My listening habits involve a lot of gaming, so a really open soundstage would be welcome, and an eclectic taste in music that has a habit of jumping from The Beatles to Disturbed to Skrillex to Frank Sinatra (so basically if it's music I listen to it). They aren't going to see any use with movies, I'm fine with my rinky dink 5.1 system for that. Sources at the moment consist of the straight output on my iMac but I am going to be getting an Astro Mixamp in the near future and using it with my PS3/360/PC (the PC being the source of music (Spotify and high bitrate MP3s in foobar with WASAPI and the occasional FLAC)).

I really love the 750s sound signature. The bass especially is absolutely phenomenal. But they're also rather uncomfortable in long listening sessions and I'd guess can't match the soundstage of an open can. Isolation isn't really a big deal since these are going to find a lot use while in solidarity and probably never leave the house.

So anyway that's probably a lot more than I needed to say to boil down to: Is it worth it to sell my Proline 750 for a Senn 598? What would I be losing? What would I be gaining? Should I just enjoy 750s and buy the 598s when I have the money or should I sell the 750s for the 598s and move onto bigger and better things when I have money to spend on headphones in the future?

Nov 25, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #2 of 13
Heya,

I would not sell them right now. You are not going to get a big return, and that's even if you can sell them. Some headphones sell fast, others, take a long time. You could go ahead and put them up for sale, and see who bites. But I imagine you're not going to get much interest. The PRO750 is a good headphone, but it's not one of the popular "fast sale" headphones. It could take weeks to months to even get interest. Who knows. Up to you if you want to try.

I would not sell something you know you already really like to get something you have no idea how it sounds. The HD598 is a different headphone. First thing you'll notice is that you lose that powerful bass of the PRO series when you switch to the HD598, you lose the impact too. You will notice it still being pretty bright, but you'll likely hear more mids from the HD598. Comfort will be a big difference, the HD598 will no doubt be more comfortable to wear. Sound stage will increase, but not vastly.

I would just wait it out, get some HD598's used or on sale perhaps later. I tend to suggest keeping headphones you know you like. You'll regret selling them after a while. And it's more fun to have a collection.

Very best,

Nov 25, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 13
Had ultrasone pro 550 with leatherette pads, so I started looking for velour pads but had issue with headband padding too, even if I did not think so when I looked at the pictures before I bought them. See that pro 750 has velour pads so you just need one simple mod before saying goodbye to ultrasones.

Good luck

Nov 25, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
First thing you'll notice is that you lose that powerful bass of the PRO series when you switch to the HD598, you lose the impact too.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. HD598 isn't bass shy.

Quote:
You will notice it still being pretty bright, but you'll likely hear more mids from the HD598.

HD598 is a bright sennheiser, not really a bright headphone compared to ultrasone pro serie. Zero sibilance with HD598 and like you say, with a good midrange.

Quote:
Comfort will be a big difference, the HD598 will no doubt be more comfortable to wear.

Both are comfortable imo, but pro serie tend to move less on the head. Clamping is very light with HD598, may be too light, even though i have a big head,lol.

Anyway, about the sound, HD598 is much better, for my taste.

Nov 25, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #5 of 13
I would get some Denon D2000, I tried both the Sennheiser 598 and the Denons and chose the Denons hands down for both music and games as well as comfort... Also comming from the Ultrasones you will probably find the Sennheisers bass dissapointing whereas the Denons have uber good bass.

Nov 25, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 13
Its not the same price.

europe : HD598 = 180€ - D2000 = 480€ (yes i know,
eek.gif
).
US : HD598 = 230$ - D2000 = 350$?

Sales of pro750 = ?? 150-200$ max imo.

Nov 25, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #7 of 13
Hmm but tbh the denon d2000 WIPE THE FLOOR with the sennheiser 598 in terms of sound quality lol.... It is worth the extra money imo. The denons arent 480 euros they are more like 240 euros....480 euros is about £440 but you can get the denons for £210 in the UK...

Nov 25, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
mm but tbh the denon d2000 WIPE THE FLOOR with the sennheiser 598 in terms of sound quality lol.... It is worth the extra money imo. The denons arent 480 euros they are more like 240 euros....480 euros is about £440 but you can get the denons for £210 in the UK...

210? where? waouhh, you can thank UK not being in the euro area, lol

D2000 SQ is effectively better imo, but it is mostly a matter of taste. They both have a completely different signature. HD598 is bright with a forward midrange and with a relatively big soudstage. D2000 is more dark, much more bass and with recessed mids. Both are easily to listen for hours.

Nov 26, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
Had ultrasone pro 550 with leatherette pads, so I started looking for velour pads but had issue with headband padding too, even if I did not think so when I looked at the pictures before I bought them. See that pro 750 has velour pads so you just need one simple mod before saying goodbye to ultrasones.

Good luck

Thanks for linking that thread, loopfreak. 
beerchug.gif
 I probably wouldn't have stumbled upon that thread otherwise. My hfi 780s are just screaming at me to do the mod...

Nov 26, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #10 of 13
Urwelcome jaykay,

Was on the pro 900 thread and when I saw the mod, was thinking, this so simple and effective. So if yo did not leave a comment there already, you should 'cause headfier from Denmark shared a great idea with us.

Cheers man
beerchug.gif

Nov 26, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #11 of 13
Heya,

I would not sell them right now. You are not going to get a big return, and that's even if you can sell them. Some headphones sell fast, others, take a long time. You could go ahead and put them up for sale, and see who bites. But I imagine you're not going to get much interest. The PRO750 is a good headphone, but it's not one of the popular "fast sale" headphones. It could take weeks to months to even get interest. Who knows. Up to you if you want to try.

I would not sell something you know you already really like to get something you have no idea how it sounds. The HD598 is a different headphone. First thing you'll notice is that you lose that powerful bass of the PRO series when you switch to the HD598, you lose the impact too. You will notice it still being pretty bright, but you'll likely hear more mids from the HD598. Comfort will be a big difference, the HD598 will no doubt be more comfortable to wear. Sound stage will increase, but not vastly.

I would just wait it out, get some HD598's used or on sale perhaps later. I tend to suggest keeping headphones you know you like. You'll regret selling them after a while. And it's more fun to have a collection.

Very best,

Lot of excellent advice here guys and I thank you but I think this convinced me to hang onto them.

Good luck

And this is a godsend. Thank you so much I'm doing that as soon as I get home.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk

Nov 26, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:

210? where? waouhh, you can thank UK not being in the euro area, lol

D2000 SQ is effectively better imo, but it is mostly a matter of taste. They both have a completely different signature. HD598 is bright with a forward midrange and with a relatively big soudstage. D2000 is more dark, much more bass and with recessed mids. Both are easily to listen for hours.

Wow 480 euros is a massive rip off lol.... Maybe he could import them from the USA or UK because they are about £220 in the UK.... In the end I got mine for £170 lol because I got them for £190 at amazon then got another £20 off because they had a mark on them... So very hapy with the price of £170 lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back