sell my DT770-80's for another amp?
Jun 20, 2005 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
I will be getting a new pair of DT250-250's this week, in the hopes that they'll be a good "closed can" compliment to my SR60's. If they are, then between those two sets of cans, my DT770's might not be seeing much use.

I was thinking of selling the DT770's to buy a Porta Corda Mk II. Funny thing is that I used to own one
smily_headphones1.gif
I figured with the Porta Corda I could velcro my iPod mini to the top and use that with the DT250-250's. When I had the Porta Corda before, it drove my cans almost too well (got too loud too early on the volume dial because my cans were 80 ohms and under), but with the 250 ohm DT250's, I think it'll be a much better match.

I already have a portable Pimeta amp which I really like the sound of, but the battery life would be much better on the PCII (the Pimeta is around 12-15 hours on a 9V). I figure the PCII with almost any Beyer can (particularly the hard to drive ones) is a good match. Plus, the bassier/thicker sound of the PCII might be a good match for the SR60's as well. I would still use the Pimeta regularly - probably hooked up to an Elpac or something similar for bedside use.

So I don't really need another amp, I just feel like the PCII would compliment the cans I have on the way a little better than my existing amp does, and give me alot better battery life, at the expense of having to sell the DT770's.

So should I keep the cans and just use my existing amp, or sell them to get another amp? Keep in mind I'd be keeping the Pimeta either way. I guess the biggest factor is how well I like the DT250-250's when they arrive.

Jun 20, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 26
Hi,

Just a thought; if you still like your DT770s, why not get or make a 75 Ohm adapter to reduce the gain from your amp? If 75 Ohm changes the sound sig. too much, perhaps a lower resistance adapter may work...

Cheers,
Mark

Jun 20, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
I was thinking of selling the DT770's to buy a Porta Corda Mk II.

[size=x-small]No[/size],[size=small]No[/size],[size=medium]No![/size] - You'll end up with them again in a month or two, I swear thats the third pair you've owned in the last 6 months! And as you said before The Guitar Centre $150 price match won't last forever!
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2005 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 26
basshead.gif
Don't do it man! Keep those cans!

Jun 21, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
[size=x-small]No[/size],[size=small]No[/size],[size=medium]No![/size] - You'll end up with them again in a month or two, I swear thats the third pair you've owned in the last 6 months! And as you said before The Guitar Centre $150 price match won't last forever!
biggrin.gif

LOL, seriously?

Appar, If you sell it, I'll take it! No more changing mind ok!
icon10.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #6 of 26
Maybe you could sell your pimeta and get the Porta Corda Mk II. I know I would miss my DT770s. Or you could even just get the Mk II and then sell whichever one you feel doesn't add enough to your rig.

Jun 21, 2005 at 2:14 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
biggrin.gif

damn you, Oink1! I know you're right! I think that's really frustrating me is the battery life on the Pimeta - about 12 hours, maybe 15 on a single 9V, whereas the Porta Corda is waaaaay more at around 80 hours (or 40 if biased to class A). But I remember when I had both, and I preferred the Pimeta because it had more of a soundstage and more airy sound - it just sounded wider than the PCII.

If I didn't move around the darned house so much, I'd just tether myself to an ac adaptor and be done with it. As it stands, I think I may just have to settle for the shorter life and slightly better sound of the Pimeta.

Jun 21, 2005 at 6:42 AM Post #8 of 26
NO Way!! those cans are MADE for DreamTheater.. Mike portnoys tracks sound so incredible on an amped DreamTheater770-80. Its like sticking your head inside his Tama imperialstar kickdrum while hes thumping the tripplets.

dont know about you but my 770-80 is a keeper.

Ive got Petrucci's Mesa rectifier tones covered with my MS2, and portnoy thunders me into tinnitus with my DT770.

Garrett

Jun 21, 2005 at 7:19 AM Post #9 of 26
Hey... have you considered mod'ing your pimeta. A typical 9V NIMH is only ~180mah, but they go on up to ~300mah I believe. Two of those in parallel would give nearly 600mah @ 9V, at the expense of some portability.

Have you considered NIMH CR123 cells? Theyre small (about 2/3 size of a 9V) and 3 in series would give 9V... the advantage is their capacity which I believe is around 800mah.

Ive got 2 9V cells inseries my g-moy, their capacity is only ~180mah... so if Im not happy with them Im going to wire up a bank of six CR123 cells for 18V and 800mah.

?????
Garrett

Jun 21, 2005 at 11:05 AM Post #10 of 26
Selling the DT 770s for a new amp ?

Great idea, and as you're already in action you should think about cutting off your balls as first step of contributing to Miss World's elections 2006.

biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 1:02 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen
Selling the DT 770s for a new amp ?

Great idea, and as you're already in action you should think about cutting off your balls as first step of contributing to Miss World's elections 2006.

biggrin.gif

damn, that was harsh!

Jun 21, 2005 at 1:04 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Hey... have you considered mod'ing your pimeta. A typical 9V NIMH is only ~180mah, but they go on up to ~300mah I believe. Two of those in parallel would give nearly 600mah @ 9V, at the expense of some portability.

Have you considered NIMH CR123 cells? Theyre small (about 2/3 size of a 9V) and 3 in series would give 9V... the advantage is their capacity which I believe is around 800mah.

Ive got 2 9V cells inseries my g-moy, their capacity is only ~180mah... so if Im not happy with them Im going to wire up a bank of six CR123 cells for 18V and 800mah.

?????
Garrett

The thing is that it's a JMT Pimeta, already cased in a serpac H65, so there's no more room for more batteries, plus I have no idea how to rewire an amp...

I'm seriously debating selling the Pimeta and getting the PCII for the battery life. It's sound wasn't bad at all or anything, I just thought the Pimeta was a little better. So would it be a bad idea to go that route instead?

Jun 21, 2005 at 2:02 PM Post #13 of 26
let me get this straight - you want to give away your DT770 cannon for an amp that you think has LESS quality than the amp you have now? Suck it up and buy a pair of Plainviews and a trickle charger! Then rotate a 9V in and out for thousands of charges!

Jun 21, 2005 at 2:17 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
let me get this straight - you want to give away your DT770 cannon for an amp that you think has LESS quality than the amp you have now? Suck it up and buy a pair of Plainviews and a trickle charger! Then rotate a 9V in and out for thousands of charges!

But I'm only getting about 12-15 hours with alkaline 9V's, so that would only be about 6 hours per charge with rechargeables, whereas the PCII, even in class A mode gets about 40 hours (or around 80+ in non-class A mode).

True, getting rid of the DT770-80 may be a dumb idea as I give it some more thought, but what about getting rid of the Pimeta for the PCII? Surely that doesn't seem quite as crazy as getting rid of the Beyers..

Jun 21, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
But I'm only getting about 12-15 hours with alkaline 9V's, so that would only be about 6 hours per charge with rechargeables, whereas the PCII, even in class A mode gets about 40 hours (or around 80+ in non-class A mode).

True, getting rid of the DT770-80 may be a dumb idea as I give it some more thought, but what about getting rid of the Pimeta for the PCII? Surely that doesn't seem quite as crazy as getting rid of the Beyers..

My regular routine with the Plainviews in the SR71 was to swap out batts once a week, if not more. You get used to it - it's not like a remote control where you drop em in and forget em, it's more like a labour of love well worth a minute of my time here and there. Certainly an AC jack would be more convenient, but hey it was doable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back