Sell beats studios for AKG Q701's???? Other???
May 16, 2012 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Purithian

New Head-Fier
Hey guys.. So i recently won some beats by dre studios.. And as they are nice Bass'y headphones.. I don't like the feel and feeling of wearing them. I just feel like i'm just another kid with beats and i feel like a F*g wearing them. I am an electronic producer and that's all i listen to is Electronic, Metal, Rap, And Screamo. Now before everyone goes at me saying "Dont go based off of looks of the headphones!!!" I know that already ahah.. Just i don't feel proud wearing my Beats like i should with headphones. I am a Electronic producer so i want some good quality headphones to make Electro with, but i would also like to have some headphones that i can just wear while listening to music like my beats. 

I've been looking around for awhile and I ran into the AKG Q701's and from reviews they sound amazing... But i'm wondering if they are the right headphones for me? i need them to be portable, But also sound good.. and the main type of music i will be listening to is Electronic and ill be using them to create some electronic music.. Basically.. Are these headphones right for me? should i sell the beats and get new headphones? Thanks!!!!

May 16, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #2 of 18
I would recommend you to get the AKG K550, they are adequate for the music you listen to, they are similarly priced to the beats and they are easy to carry. Plus they are closed headphones so they are basically portable

May 16, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #4 of 18
I assume since you are making music you want something with a very balanced sound signature, so I'll go ahead and recommend the Beyerdynamic DT880 pro's. They have a very detailed balanced sound with a good soundstage.

May 16, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 18
Sorry, but the AKG Q701 and Beyerdynamic DT880 are both terrible choices for you--because you want something portable.
Both of them are open-backed headphones, so sound will leak in and out, annoying both you and everyone around you.

You might also want to read up on the K550 before grabbing them. Reviews seem to indicate that it is closed, but does not seal tightly, so moving around with them may not be great. 

Tyll's review of the K550 is an excellent starting point:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone

May 16, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #6 of 18
Have you considered the Sennheiser HD25-1 II?

May 17, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #7 of 18
I was looking at them.. But it seems like they are on ear headphones and i HATE on ear headphones :/ Hmhh Any thoughts on the V-Moda crossfade LP2's? on amazing on 42 reviews its 5 stars. and the bass was taken down a notch from the original crossfades so its not overpowering

May 17, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #8 of 18
I have the LP2s and they are very good portable headphones for the money,  I absolutely despise the beats due to the highly inflated bass level, much like the orig LP.  But the LP2s are better balanced, however as has been said before if you are going to use these in studio for music production then I dont believe the lp2s to be adequate.  You need something with a natural sound stage.  The akg701s are great for that but they are not portable. 

May 17, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #10 of 18
Forsure haha. O/t: ive heard the lp2s are a little bassy so id prob use them fir listening. Idk just looking for headphones like beats, but that are much better quality and sound. I do understand buying separate headphones for just producing may be a better idea

May 17, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
Sorry, but the AKG Q701 and Beyerdynamic DT880 are both terrible choices for you--because you want something portable.
Both of them are open-backed headphones, so sound will leak in and out, annoying both you and everyone around you.

You might also want to read up on the K550 before grabbing them. Reviews seem to indicate that it is closed, but does not seal tightly, so moving around with them may not be great. 

Tyll's review of the K550 is an excellent starting point:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone

*Facepalm

I didn't even notice that they needed to be portable, I would look into the Audio Technica line of headphones in your price range, most of them seem to be a bit on the bassy side.

May 17, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #12 of 18
i think something from ultrasone would be a good choice, also consider a headphone from shure or akg, beyerdynamic dt 770 pro would also be good.

May 18, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
Hey guys.. So i recently won some beats by dre studios.. And as they are nice Bass'y headphones.. I don't like the feel and feeling of wearing them. I just feel like i'm just another kid with beats and i feel like a F*g wearing them. I am an electronic producer and that's all i listen to is Electronic, Metal, Rap, And Screamo. Now before everyone goes at me saying "Dont go based off of looks of the headphones!!!" I know that already ahah.. Just i don't feel proud wearing my Beats like i should with headphones. I am a Electronic producer so i want some good quality headphones to make Electro with, but i would also like to have some headphones that i can just wear while listening to music like my beats. 

I've been looking around for awhile and I ran into the AKG Q701's and from reviews they sound amazing... But i'm wondering if they are the right headphones for me? i need them to be portable, But also sound good.. and the main type of music i will be listening to is Electronic and ill be using them to create some electronic music.. Basically.. Are these headphones right for me? should i sell the beats and get new headphones? Thanks!!!!

AKG 70x would probably be the last imaginable choice I would make for electronic music.  They're excellent headphones, no doubt, but they're very flat, analytical, detailed, and very flat/thin on the bass (they have good natural bass, but not much bass presence, it's equally flat with the rest of the frequency.)  Strike that, they would be the last imaginable choice behind Beats, which despite being far bassier has no detail and lots of bass bloom.

I think you need to decide a few facts before everyone can provide any meaningful suggestion:  Do you need isolation (closed back) quasi attenuation (semi-closed), or is full open back ok?  Fully Open may not be the route to go if lots of bass is important anyway, with the exceptions of maybe HiFiman HE-400 (or Audeze LCD-2 if you don't mind upping the price to $1k.)

Also, do you need them to be portable, or will these be used full size with an amplifier (or built in amp with a mixing board, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back