Sell Alpha Primes to purchase The Atticus/Eikon?
Apr 11, 2019 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

targetrein

New Head-Fier
Required Preamble! I've had my MrSpeakers planars for the past six years. They started life as simple entry-level Mad Dogs and went for an Alpha Prime upgrade April of last year. They sound great (and always have), but I find myself constantly looking for more 'fun', particularly in the low-end. Even with high power (running off an Emotiva BasX), it just isn't enough.

I've read favorable reviews of the ZMF Atticus / Eikon and think I may lean that direction, but I'm not one of those folks that hordes 12 sets of headphones. This will be my only set, whatever it is. I've also considered the Klipsch HP-3 after watching a fricking Z review.

I listen to mostly progressive rock / progressive metal but have a little bit of everything on my media player. I don't plan on changing my source / amp.

Source: iBasso dx90 (90% flac) -> Emotiva BasX -> cans

Thanks for any input! :D

Apr 11, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #2 of 4

Monsterzero

Headphoneus Supremus
Between the two,the Atticus is way more "fun" sounding. I owned the Atticus and really liked it for rock and metal. Ended up selling it to upgrade to the ZMF Verite.

It has a warm sound,which might take some getting used to coming from the AP.
Regarding the amp, I have no experience with the Emotiva. I would ask in the Eikon/Atticus thread. The Atticus isnt necessarily hard to drive,but it can be a bit amp picky,mainly in the damping factor.

Also if you can use an open backed HP,ZMF also has the Aeolus,which is the same driver as the Atticus,and I feel is a better all around HP.

Apr 11, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 4

targetrein

New Head-Fier
Between the two,the Atticus is way more "fun" sounding. I owned the Atticus and really liked it for rock and metal.

Based on what I've read, others have come to the same conclusion (Atticus + metal = <3), even though their Eikon is supposedly their 'flagship' closed back.

Also if you can use an open backed HP...

Nope, office environment, unfortunately!

Apr 11, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #4 of 4

Monsterzero

Headphoneus Supremus
Yeah fair enough. The differences between the open and closed isnt huge,so no need to worry that youre getting an inferior HP.
I think the Atticus is fantastic for rock and the types of metal you listed. The only genre of metal I didnt like it with was melodeath,as the midbass got in the way a bit of very fast speed runs.

Users who are viewing this thread