Self made L/R markings on IEM's?
Jun 12, 2013 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SKisaGooner

New Head-Fier
To me at least, L/R markings on IEM's are a big deal. I want to be able to pick them up from my pocket and be able to instantly tell which goes into the left ear and which one into the right. It's a very big deal to me.

But obviously some manufacturers don't get it. Nonexistent L/R markings, markings that fade away over time, impossible to see under bright light, difficult to look for unless you take time to find the markings... etc. Can be easily solved with the [COLOR=3585DB]left[/COLOR] and [COLOR=F41818]right[/COLOR] markings, or with an asymmetrical design.

So I was wondering do any of you make your own custom marking to ease the identification of left and right? Permanent markers, tape maybe...?

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 3
Get a piece of colored heatshrink and blow dry it onto a section of the cable. Other people who have custom cables have them running four conductors from the earphones to the plug, and they're braided in such a way that from the Y-split to the earphones, only red cables go to one ear and only blue cables go to one ear.

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #3 of 3
Be careful of cheap cables that harden after using the blow dryer (from rapid cooling of the cable section). Probably easier to use some red tape if you have trouble distinguishing between left and right. After using the same IEM for a while, you will be able to distinguish purely by feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back