self-destructing CDs/DVDs
Nov 22, 2002 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
Flexplay is a new concept that apparently releases an ink of some sort into the disc within so many hours of its being opened. CNN has run an article about this and the new James Bond movie's promotional disc. It's an interesting concept and I have to admit, the idea of renting a DVD from BlockBuster that I don't have to take back appeals to me.

The full article is located here:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/ptech/1...dvd/index.html

Nov 22, 2002 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 16
eh, only flaw, rip it to divx before it dies
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 22, 2002 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by jessica00
eh, only flaw, rip it to divx before it dies
very_evil_smiley.gif

There's always a hack. The true pirate will have access to anything. Copy protection prevents average joe from copying and that's usually enough. (But how ironic is it that the most popular codec for pirated DVDs these days is called "divx." One has to appreciate irony.)

Nov 23, 2002 at 1:06 AM Post #4 of 16
it'll never work. Polaroid wanted to do the same thing with vhs. there was a big uproar. expect the same thing again.

Nov 23, 2002 at 4:56 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Can you say DivX? People DON'T WANT TO BE RESTRICTED!

And I'm NOT talking about the codec, either!

Not many people remember that debacle.

Nov 23, 2002 at 4:57 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Can you say DivX? People DON'T WANT TO BE RESTRICTED!

And I'm NOT talking about the codec, either!

I was against divx because divx had a lot of other problems:
1) Only the crappier DVD makers were supporting divx
2) it was a company run by lawyers who knew nothing about the technology
3) they limited special features
4) they didn't want widescreen format
5) divx discs were produced by divx not by the original studio labels
6) distribution sucked - Im not going to circuit ****ty every time I want to rent a movie
7) the overall quality of the reviews got horrible reviews
8) Some titles were to be exclusive to the divx format

Ick. Ok, so you see my point. I'm NOT against a self-destructing disc if it is purely a rental format that is 100% as good as a normal bought disc. It'd just be a rental I wouldn't have to drive back to the store.

And uhm, for environmentalists - is throwing away a single CD REALLY that much worse than starting up your car and driving it to Blockbuster and back?

Nov 23, 2002 at 5:15 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by jessica00
eh, still. pay a buck for a DVD that lasts long enough to watch the movie twice? waste problems aside..its a decent idea

A buck? wishful thinking my friend. . . I'd guess they'd be around $5, at least. Pay for convenience, and the material.

Nov 23, 2002 at 3:07 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

And uhm, for environmentalists - is throwing away a single CD REALLY that much worse than starting up your car and driving it to Blockbuster and back?

Damn right it is !

Anyone ever think about where garbage goes ?
Our new "use it and toss it" society is building up garbage at a rate that is scary man.

And I am as far from an environmentalist as you can get.No liberal leanings here guys.
I think they go way overboard and actually cause too much human suffering when jobs are lost due to the extremist agenda.
Especially when it comes to unproven theory,such as ther 'never seen here yet but could be" spotted owl crap taking logging jobs away from those with no other options and other like issues.

And I don't know how it is where you live but around these parts we used to have landfills or as they are commonly called "dumps".

NO MORE !

No more room.So garbage is now trucked out to other areas.the attitude is "not in my back yard".Let someone else deal with it.

Well that someone else is YOU.
All that **** is being dumped into the ocean at a rate that is just dumb.

what to do !

LESS FKING GARBAGE AS*HOLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A no brainer.

Ther was a time when stuff was built to last,repair shops flourished .But when it becomes more cost effective to replace rather than repair due to ****ty mass production ,inferior parts meant to wear out , a cottageindustry goeas away

(how many remember shoe repair ?
How about getting baseball shoes re-cleated instead of replaced,sheos resoled or healed , the list goes on)

Only gonna get worse until we are up to our necks in garbage.
But what the hell,it is someone elses problem

rolleyes.gif

Nov 23, 2002 at 3:16 PM Post #12 of 16
I don't know how widespread recycling is in other parts of the country but here the expired disk would be reused and come back as another product. They have mad a rather large gent in the tru garbage by having a recycling program here. Glass, plastic and paper are all recycled.

Nov 23, 2002 at 4:57 PM Post #14 of 16
Rick, why don't you tell us how you really feel?
biggrin.gif

Yes, that's gonna add up to too much F#$%^ing waste. Man, two days ago I decided to thow out all my cds that were irrepairably scratched and had data loss. You know how much JUNK MASS I accumulated? More than a wastebasket full of plastic. That's one guy, multiply that by millions of people. STUPID IDEA!

Nov 23, 2002 at 8:10 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

the overall quality of the reviews got horrible reviews

Kelly, my vaunting Arruban:

I've been wandering in the funhouse ever since I read this sentence. If the overall quality of the reviews got horrible reviews, then the initial reviews must have been good, which the public (and later reviewers) must have decided were wrong unilaterally . . . or else the bad literary quality of the first reviews convinced later reviewers that divx was for philistines.

What means you? Please you help for me. You no I say best, you no that. Explain yourselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back