Selecting a portable mediaplayer
Sep 16, 2009 at 10:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

m0ar

New Head-Fier
Hello there, this is my first post here so bear with me...

I'm currently looking for a nice portable mp3player, but I'm having serious trouble finding one that suits my needs;

1. Fancy looking, touchscreen is nice but not nessecary
  2. Supports FLAC + MP3, anything else is +-0
  3. Doesn't cost more than maybe 150-160$
  4. As audiophilic as possible
  5. I don't care about video

Thanks!

Sep 16, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #3 of 15
+1 for the Sansa Fuze , and sounding really nice with expansion card option
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by penartur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AMP3, fuze, clip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fameh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1 for the Sansa Fuze , and sounding really nice with expansion card option
smily_headphones1.gif

The thing is that the Sansa's look really awful TBH, is the sound really that good?

The Fuze may be an option, but compared to an Ipod Nano G.4 it's kinda low-ranked, how is the sound if you compare those models?

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #5 of 15
Well, the look depends on your taste. The price of the Fuze is also smaller than the NanoG4.
Other point is that you know you need to convert files to ALAC to be able to use lossless codec in the Nano. Thats a big advantage for me on the AMP3 or Sansas.

As far as i readed, the Nano 4th generation sounds better than the 2nd generation. The only thing i can say is that the Fuze sounds better than the Nano 2nd gen, can't compare it against 4th gen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by m0ar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thing is that the Sansa's look really awful TBH, is the sound really that good?

The Fuze may be an option, but compared to an Ipod Nano G.4 it's kinda low-ranked, how is the sound if you compare those models?

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by fameh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*text*

Thanks for the tips :3
Estimated time to convert FLAC -> ALAC?

Is there any guide here on how NOT to use iTunes?
I've been trying to use replacements before, but they started to screw up after some time :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMPNG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sansa Clip / Fuze or Cowon D2. I'd suggest the Clip personally. I think it looks pretty sleek
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't felt it, but it looks kinda plastic and cheap in the pictures I've seen.

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, didn't realize that. Songbird should be able to sync with it. Personally haven't used it much, so really can't comment on how it works.

Did some quick research and saw that MediaMonkey and SB is pretty awesome with that :3

T; So, any ideas? Any comparision with Nano 4G and Fuze?

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #12 of 15
Actually, I skipped the FLAC and have ordered a Zen X-Fi 8gb, had a lot of flowerish reviews and a mate pushing me :3

What do you think? If I don't like it I'll just return it
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #13 of 15
The sound characteristics of the Clip and Fuze are highly praised on head-fi, in general. Keep Cowon in mind too. The S9 in particular. It's one of the only FLAC players with gapless that I can think of (besides rockbox players of course).

Give the Zen a run for its money and let your ears decide.

Sep 17, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound characteristics of the Clip and Fuze are highly praised on head-fi, in general. Keep Cowon in mind too. The S9 in particular. It's one of the only FLAC players with gapless that I can think of (besides rockbox players of course).

Give the Zen a run for its money and let your ears decide.

Too bad my eyes spoke too, the Fuze isn't really attractive for me :/

Sep 17, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0ar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too bad my eyes spoke too, the Fuze isn't really attractive for me :/

If that's the case, Sony, S639 (16GB, $120), it sounds warmer, vibrant and very slamming bass (not boomy at all). Sony also plays AAC, you don't have to use Itunes, just drag'n'drop. Some really want to suggest AMP3, according to a few different opinions, AMP3 sounds leaner/thinner , and lack of punch (it maybe go deep, but not enough punch.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back