Selecting a DAP, would like some advice
Mar 5, 2006 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

nytmarezz

Head-Fier
First off, I hope that what-am-bestest-DAP threads aren't prohibited, I tried to be as specific as I could be with this thread, but I need some help selecting a dap
biggrin.gif

Here my "notes" , so-to-speek, which I hope will help:

* would prefer flash based storage for shock reasons (mtbiking)

* price range, absolute $300 max, preferably less

* hdd based players a lot more cost effective ($234 8gb Zen MicroPhoto vs. $220 2gb iAudio U3)

* video/picture isn't neccessary, but it would be a nice little feature

* must have minimum ~12 hour battery life

* minimum storage 2gb, can't imagine using more than 6-7gb though....

* although I currently rip cds->mp3s in 320 bitrate cbr, I may be moving to vbr soon, so it needs to support vbr

* I would really really like UMS support (USB drag-drop style, no software/drivers, like portable hard drive)

* all of the toshiba and samsungs players seem to be MTP, not UMS and there don't seem to have been any successful UMS hacks for them

* will not run with an amp, will probably pair with some Sennheiser CX 300-B

* can't be an iPod (I have my reasons.....*cough*2-apple-die-hard-friends-would-bug-me-to-no-end*cough*
tongue.gif
)

* don't care about "subscription music service" features since I just rip all my cds

* size ...(see below for more of what I mean by size...)

Here are some players I have looked at so far and liked at first glance at the specs. Feel free to mention stuff not on this list.

>>> Cowon
link - http://eng.iaudio.com/
* iAudio U3
* iAudio 6

>>> Monolith / eStarlab
link - http://www.monolith-europe.com/product/mx_7000.php
* Monolith Premium MX-7000

>>> iRiver
link - http://www.iriveramerica.com/prod/hd/
* H10 (5gb/6gb) series

>>> Creative
link - http://us.creative.com/products/welc...=213&showall=1
* Zen Micro / MicroPhoto

Thanks ahead for any advice
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 20
The new Sandisk player should fit the bill. 4GB($200) and 6GB($)250 of flash memory, 20 hours battery life and I believe(correct me) they are drag-n-drop.

Mar 6, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 20
i've used my zen micro while mountain biking (downhill) and it didn't skip once. my friends 20gb ipod was skipping constantly, which makes me thing that the bigger 1.8" hd's skip more (or maybe it's something with ipods?).

just sharing my experiance.

Mar 7, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnev
i've used my zen micro while mountain biking (downhill) and it didn't skip once. my friends 20gb ipod was skipping constantly, which makes me thing that the bigger 1.8" hd's skip more (or maybe it's something with ipods?). just sharing my experiance.

well if it doesn't skip for a downhiller (you guys are nutz
tongue.gif
) then chances are it'll never skip..... good to know thanks for that info

Mar 8, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by nytmarezz
tongue.gif

k1000smile.gif

just a suggestion, do NOT use sound-isolating buds while riding. it's a baaaaddd idea (just a little something from personal experiance...
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Mar 8, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

k1000smile.gif
just a suggestion, do NOT use sound-isolating buds while riding. it's a baaaaddd idea (just a little something from personal experiance...
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Was it a head-n-handlebars personal experiance
tongue.gif
? Seriously though, I was planning to using some Sennheiser CX300 IEMs, why wouldn't that work and what the hell else are you supposed to use other than IEMs that won't fall off while riding?!

Mar 8, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Was it a head-n-handlebars personal experiance
tongue.gif
? Seriously though, I was planning to using some Sennheiser CX300 IEMs, why wouldn't that work and what the hell else are you supposed to use other than IEMs that won't fall off while riding?!

I've been thinking about using my clip-on KSC75's when it gets a little warmer... they should stay put as long as you're not hucking anything too big...

Mar 8, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #9 of 20
nah nothing that bad. i was riding with my IEMs and didn't hear the guys (much better/faster than i at the time) coming up from behind. they shouted at me to move (i obviously not hearing) and we basically ran into each other because i didn't hear them coming. it didn't tickle, that's for sure
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by okay_player
I've been thinking about using my clip-on KSC75's when it gets a little warmer... they should stay put as long as you're not hucking anything too big...

Oh yeah.... clip-ons.... forgot all about those, brain fart
biggrin.gif

Quote:

nah nothing that bad. i was riding with my IEMs and didn't hear the guys (much better/faster than i at the time) coming up from behind. they shouted at me to move (i obviously not hearing) and we basically ran into each other because i didn't hear them coming. it didn't tickle, that's for sure
icon10.gif

Hmm... good point.... trails around here are mostly fire roads so I figure that should be enough for people to pass me...but still, maybe I'll get some clip-ons for when biking and use the IEMs for everything else.

Jun 27, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #11 of 20
I've used Super.fi 5 Pro's biking a lot, but have since moved to KSC75s for a few reasons.

Being in Los Angeles it's hard to find a mountain high enough for a downhill run longer than the skip protection of most HD based players.
biggrin.gif
The iPod is supposed to be 42 minutes of flash-memory playback, thats Redbox/Mt. Wilson on a really slow day!

I've taken a few hard falls on my iPod (in pocket!) and about half the time it changes track or pauses or pulls the cord out but never had any real damage. I'm gonna pick up a shuffle soon though since a screen is pointless anyways while biking, just another thing to break in my opinion!

The Koss have been great. Lets me hear the surroundings a bit more which makes me more comfortable and contributes to better lines and thus, less crashing.
biggrin.gif
They actually stay on well enough too, though the first time I hit a 6' drop with them BOTH fell off. That was a bit embarassing but now I've bent them to fit better.

Where do you ride DH in so cal?

Jun 27, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by creyc
Where do you ride DH in so cal?

HA! You respond to two of my threads in the same day lol...

I should note ot everyone that my requirements for a player have changed a bit since I started this so it isn't all that valid anymore.

offtopic : can't find hills in LA county? come on down here to orange county then! specifically the area bordering riverside. got some good long, hard climbs and hills in the irvine/silverado area (the canyons such as blackstar). let me forwarn you though, some of the trails over there are questionable in the eyes of the law
very_evil_smiley.gif
and the mountain lion situation is worth being concerned about
eek.gif
i hit mostly the regulars in my area which consists of horse trails. what kinda bike you have? i have a 1999 Giant Iguana SE (mmmmm hardtail
biggrin.gif
basshead.gif
)

Jun 27, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #13 of 20
I've got an '01 Giant AC1. Maverick American DUC32 fork, Progressive 5th element rear coil, etc...
smily_headphones1.gif
The important thing is it still climbs, too!

ac1bike.jpg

Jun 27, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by creyc
I've got an '01 Giant AC1. Maverick American DUC32 fork, Progressive 5th element rear coil, etc...
smily_headphones1.gif
The important thing is it still climbs, too!

offtopic : everytime i get on one of those full suspends and try to climb i keep getting the feeling i am going up a mattress (boingy, boingy, boingy) with a spring up my arse .... hardtail is the only way to climb although for down hilling well umm.... yea ok full suspen has a purpose
tongue.gif
jk last time i went down a nearby gravel trail my rear derailer just shook apart (which you can blame my shoddy maintenance the day before on
rolleyes.gif
)

Jun 28, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

tongue.gif

I am using the ZEN Vision:M for mountainbiking. Haven;t had any trouble yet though I think it could be bad for it :p BUt having 30GB of music to last me for the few days riding trip really help. You will go up hills stronger and go down steep corners with horns
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back