Selected Headphone Amps, Sorted By Output Power (Table)
Jun 4, 2014 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ruthieandjohn

Stumbling towards enlightenment
(Formerly known as kayandjohn.)
As I am struggling to select a headphone amp for my yet-to-be-purchased Sennheiser HD 800s, I pulled together a table of some of the amplifiers that are mentioned here, ranking them in ascending order on power output into 32 ohms.

Comments and corrections most welcome!

Selected Headphone Amps, Sorted By Increasing Power into 32 Ohms (click to enlarge)

edit: June 5, 2014 - added Sennheiser HDVD notes as "with DAC" and added Burson Soloist SL

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 9
the EF6 is solid state q.q that's a suprise I don't know why I thought it was a tube

non the less, power isn't everything. As transformers heat up [more power means more heat] their resitance changes and thusly the overall SQ of the amp could change as well, so a cheap amp that can shove 6w into 32ohms won't be nearly as resolving as a more expansive amp with the same power ratings. 

Non the less I'd hit up the HD 800 thread with this data, but there have been MANY reports of the Schiit Vali sounding very nice with the HD 800, so maybe get your self a Schiit BiFrost and a Vali and just enjoy your HD 800 

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 9
Sorting the amps by output power into 32 Ohms is a flawed approach, particularly for the HD800 since it's not a low-impedance headphone and is generally better-driven by OTL amps which output more power into higher-impedance loads. Not all amps output their most power into 32 Ohms either, as some output their most power into higher impedances like 120, 300, or 600 Ohms, like the Garage1217 Project Horizon III, Schiit Valhalla 2, and SPL Phonitor/Auditor, respectively.

The list is also kinda convoluted to read since it's not in alphabetical order (by brand).

It's also notably missing the Garage1217 amps....
wink.gif

Jun 5, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #5 of 9
  The EF5 is a tube amp, you were probably thinking of it.

I figured with the EF5 being a tube the EF6 would carry on that tradition, either way that's cool to hear it's SOlid State 

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #6 of 9
  As I am struggling to select a headphone amp for my yet-to-be-purchased Sennheiser HD 800s, I pulled together a table of some of the amplifiers that are mentioned here, ranking them in ascending order on power output into 32 ohms.

Comments and corrections most welcome!

Selected Headphone Amps, Sorted By Increasing Power into 32 Ohms (click to enlarge)

edit: June 5, 2014 - added Sennheiser HDVD notes as "with DAC" and added Burson Soloist SL

I have actually owned/own 6 of the amps on your list. By far, the best pairing I have heard with the HD800 is the Fosgate Signature amp followed by the  Crack, M-stage and Vali. As much as I love the LYR I did not like it with the HD800.

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #7 of 9

I have actually owned/own 6 of the amps on your list. By far, the best pairing I have heard with the HD800 is the Fosgate Signature amp followed by the  Crack, M-stage and Vali. As much as I love the LYR I did not like it with the HD800.

Thanks, Fearless1... you've just given me vital info on five of the six you owned... Fosgate, Crack, M-stage, Vali, and Lyr.

Which was the sixth one?  Specifically, I'm looking a bit seriously at the Sennheiser HDVD800... any experience with it?

Thanks for the advice - most useful!

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #8 of 9

And another nod for the Vali! For the cost, it really is a very excellent little amp

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #9 of 9

Thanks, Fearless1... you've just given me vital info on five of the six you owned... Fosgate, Crack, M-stage, Vali, and Lyr.

Which was the sixth one?  Specifically, I'm looking a bit seriously at the Sennheiser HDVD800... any experience with it?

Thanks for the advice - most useful!

Your welcome.

I owned/own the Fiios mentioned, the A1 and the EF-6 at one point (I love trying out new stuff). I traded the EF-6 for a Headroom Desktop ultra (awesome amp/DAC that I regret everyday getting rid of). I did not own the HD800 with any of the mentioned.

I have no experience with The HDVD800, I am very content with the Fosgate/HD 800 combo, it sounds amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back