selected ambient works 85-92----- awesome!
Mar 7, 2004 at 7:16 AM Post #47 of 57
on that note...

Shpongle - Tales of the Inexpressable
Give this a listen. My lame descriptions won't do it justice.

Ott - Umberloid
Electronic with a reggae feel. Check out Somersettler.

Mar 7, 2004 at 8:40 AM Post #48 of 57
I'm glad to hear others have discovered the Twin. I'm personally not a man to choose favorites, or rigidly rank things, but this album stands above any other recording I've heard. It's emotional, unique, melodic, consistent...in short, my "favorite" album.

Mar 9, 2004 at 10:38 PM Post #50 of 57
After seeing Four Tet recommended here I got it. It is MAGNIFICENT!!!
The best thing I've heard that lands somewhere between IDM and Post Rock. I'm on my first listen right now and I can already tell its going to be one of my favorites.
Another two of the best albums I've heard in a while were recommendations from head-fiers too:
Explosions in the Sky - The Earth is not a Cold Dead Place
Cul de Sac - Crashes to Light Minutes to its Fall

Bot are more toward the post rock tip (more "real" instruments), but of interest to anyone who likes Four Tet.

Mar 15, 2004 at 10:17 PM Post #51 of 57
I finally picked up SAW 1 recently and was just wondering... is there a lot of noise on this album or did I get a bad cd? It's almost like tape hiss but more prevalent. And, of course, there shouldn't be any tape hiss.

Mar 16, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #52 of 57
Yeah, there's a good bit of background hiss so you didn't get a bad disc. IIRC, allmusic.com said that the tape was mangled by a cat before it was put on LP/CD, hence the bad quality
tongue.gif

Mar 16, 2004 at 12:35 AM Post #53 of 57
bummer, it seems to get better after the first few tracks at least. Thanks for the info.

Mar 16, 2004 at 12:37 AM Post #54 of 57
As long as this thread still lives... might as well recommend Ulrich Schnauss' latest album and M83's debute. Schnauss sounds like an electronic happier Slowdive - Pygmalion and M83 is electronic shoegaze.

Mar 16, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #56 of 57
There is something sublime and gently subversive about Terre Thaemlitz's early releases on Instinct Records: Tranquilizer (1994) and Soil (1995).

Terre's later Rubato series for piano are an entirely different sonic game, but also seesaw nicely between space-out and mischief.

Mar 16, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #57 of 57
Phillip Glass, Steve Roach, Robert Rich, Arvo Part. Just a few names. Lots of good tribal ambient and classic minimalism to be found in this group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back