Seiun player, $150 player with monster spec. Too good to be true?
Nov 21, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #151 of 1,652
  From the AMA, apparently:

"current output impedance for the proX is 4.7 ohm, but they will look into this."

If this is true, it is a serious problem. The player only has enough power for IEMs, but won't play well with any with high sensitivity or IEMs with resistance under about 20ohm.

They're probably going to lower it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Nov 21, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #152 of 1,652
For a thorough discussion of headphone impedance:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/607282/headphone-amp-impedance-questions-find-the-answers-here

Generally, the rule is 1/8 output impedance compared to headphone impedance (I thought it was 1/4). Also, balanced armature headphones can have wildly different impedance at different frequencies. Someone gave an example of 6ohm impedance on bass, which would cause clipping on bass frequencies (yuck!) with the 4.7ohm headphone out on the Pro and Pro X.

What this comes to, is that the 4.7ohm out may cause audible detriments to sound quality. If following the the 1/8th rule, the headphones used with this should have a impedance of ~38ohms, but this may mean that the current won't be enough. It will vary by headphone, and if it sounds good to you, great.

Nov 21, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #153 of 1,652

Funny, this was exactly what I had thought.

The photos from their facebook group look almost too similar to a Xiaomi Mi4i. I have this exact phone model, and I can assure you that they look exactly the same.

Photo from the Cyberdrive Facebook (Gallery)

Photo from Android Authority (Gallery)

While they have updated their renders (Gallery), the fact that the initial photos of the Pro and the Pro X are this similar to an existing product is quite unsettling.

I want to believe that this is a feasible project, but I just can't at this moment.

Edit: Included gallery links

If anything, I think this improves their chance of delivering at low cost. They don't have to do nearly as much work.

Nov 21, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #154 of 1,652
The lcd screens will be sold at a stock sizes,to various manufacturers. 8^/

It will look generic to a degree the same as cars ovens and kitchens do..

I'll keep repeating the mantra. This isn't a pure audiophile product for us alone. The market is too niche and quite full.

Not a smart phone but with its functionalities. Good sound huge memory and part of an audiophile esq Eco system. A home streaming 4 K server..
A basic NAS costs? A decent music server $2000 +
Just a MOJO is £400. I will get a multifunctional DAP A computer/mobile PHA will. 5.6 DSD playback and server functionality with a HDD capable Dock.
For £280 UK pounds.
I am traveling to a rubbish seaside town with the wife. I will spend more on food and drink in 3 days...

How can you complain at what's on offer?
If you own a decent expensive DAP why get this? If you want the full package or upgrade the DAP you have this is a steal.

Btw I have FLARE R2B's off my phone and a FIIO X3 II. When I run them off the OPPO Ha1 there is not much difference.

My B+W P7'S scale well but not FLARES they always sound good.

Keep smiling stay calm. It's what I do when the wife's driving. Sat next to me doing 100MPH...

Nov 21, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #156 of 1,652
Hey middy, are you a rep for them or work for them? You are very defensive about their products.

There's always somebody who gets really excited about a product during crowdfunding. I trust Middy is just that guy. :)

Nov 21, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #157 of 1,652
They're probably going to lower it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Hopefully, they do. As is, this would not work for someone who has a DUNU DN-2000J or similar. That earphone has an impedance of about 8 ohms, and in some places of its frequency response, it is even lower. I am not placing an order until they get the output impedance confirmed as being 1 ohm or below.

Nov 21, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #158 of 1,652
Ha I wish I'd get a free one...
Not defensive at all, it could sound terrible and fall apart like a tissue based wet suit.
I am just trying to keep things reasonable. This isn't a CHORD Dave or A&K new flagship. It isn't in conjunction with headfi either.
It's a bit of a Swiss army knife and for hard core here isn't the bespoke solution we would like.
To get what's on offer. Server DAP Head Amp Streamer DSD Phone Android apps.
For £280 with IDGG. Bonkers price.

I can say after with a certain degree that yes it sounds good. It works and I can't say that now, no one can.

People other than us do Google and look at what we say here.

As a package it's more than most hi end can offer, at a 1/5 of the cost.
That's the perspective I am taking, just reminding people it's not Audiophile end game it's Audiophile start game.. and they say that on the mission statement.
Me it's a small gamble and a bit of fun..

Nov 21, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #159 of 1,652
Using pre- designed and built tooling is fairly common amoung CCTV camera manufacturers. I know this is a different industry but the concept is the same. If manufacturer A is willing to let you use their machinery a bulk of the cost lessens and manufacturer B designs the circuitry to fit the housing but it's still a unique product.

I don't know anything about the CCTV manufacturers, so this concept is entirely new to me.

If anything, I think this improves their chance of delivering at low cost. They don't have to do nearly as much work.

In this CNBC article Xiaomi is referred to as "China's Apple", with a reported 34.7 million in smartphones sold the first half of 2015. I don't think Cyberdrive has the economies of scale to pull off a similar feat. 

Unless you're pushing @iJay's idea that they resell sets amongst manufacturers.

The lcd screens will be sold at a stock sizes,to various manufacturers. 8^/

It will look generic to a degree the same as cars ovens and kitchens do..

I'll keep repeating the mantra. This isn't a pure audiophile product for us alone. The market is too niche and quite full.

Not a smart phone but with its functionalities. Good sound huge memory and part of an audiophile esq Eco system. A home streaming 4 K server..
A basic NAS costs? A decent music server $2000 +
Just a MOJO is £400. I will get a multifunctional DAP A computer/mobile PHA will. 5.6 DSD playback and server functionality with a HDD capable Dock.
For £280 UK pounds.
I am traveling to a rubbish seaside town with the wife. I will spend more on food and drink in 3 days...

How can you complain at what's on offer?
If you own a decent expensive DAP why get this? If you want the full package or upgrade the DAP you have this is a steal.

Btw I have FLARE R2B's off my phone and a FIIO X3 II. When I run them off the OPPO Ha1 there is not much difference.

My B+W P7'S scale well but not FLARES they always sound good.

Keep smiling stay calm. It's what I do when the wife's driving. Sat next to me doing 100MPH...

huh????

Hey middy, are you a rep for them or work for them? You are very defensive about their products.

Yup I had the impression that he was a rep too...

Nov 21, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #161 of 1,652
Iam a manufacturing engineer for the engine Controls division of Rolls-Royce.
I can see a bargin when I see one...
Tear it apart if you wish, if you have a beta review unit please explain how it sounds is the UI any good.
Any takers? No..

If I read what's on the IDGG comments section I'd think no way and not bother. It couldn't drive miss Daisy not even an Ebay $2 pair.
Again people come here for advice a broad view is helpful. If you have higher than an X5 iBasso A&K why get this? An upgrade or starter oh yes...

Sorry I am in a line waiting for fish and chips in Western supermare.. And I am freezing and tired.

Nov 21, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #162 of 1,652
Ha I wish I'd get a free one...
Not defensive at all, it could sound terrible and fall apart like a tissue based wet suit.
I am just trying to keep things reasonable. This isn't a CHORD Dave or A&K new flagship. It isn't in conjunction with headfi either.
It's a bit of a Swiss army knife and for hard core here isn't the bespoke solution we would like.
To get what's on offer. Server DAP Head Amp Streamer DSD Phone Android apps.
For £280 with IDGG. Bonkers price.

I can say after with a certain degree that yes it sounds good. It works and I can't say that now, no one can.

People other than us do Google and look at what we say here.

As a package it's more than most hi end can offer, at a 1/5 of the cost.
That's the perspective I am taking, just reminding people it's not Audiophile end game it's Audiophile start game.. and they say that on the mission statement.
Me it's a small gamble and a bit of fun..

I agree with you completely.  For $120 US to get a Hi-res DAP/PMP, with upgraded RAM and internal memory (128 gb), and a pair of free IEMs. why not?  This is a HOBBY for many of us, and I'm sure many of us have bought products that we thought we'd enjoy and we've really enjoyed them...  I know that I've also bought products that were highly regarded by others that fell flat for me, and some of these cost more than $120....  My view is that if you are truly a Hobbyist in this field you'll be willing to take a risk now and again and see how things eventually unfold.  Remember, our HOBBY is Cyberdrive's BUSINESS.  In the long run, if their products turn out to be total garbage, then they are the big losers here.  But, compared to some other IGG campaigns, I feel that Cyberdrive so far has done an outstanding job in sharing with us.  They have not put us thru a "perkathon" and they have held pretty steadfast with their product goals.  I too hope the output impedance of the Pro/ProX is optimized for low impedance, sensitive IEMs and the internal DAC/amp provides enough power to get good sound from these IEMs, but I am very willing to support Cyberdrive's continuing efforts at this point....

Nov 21, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #163 of 1,652

I don't know anything about the CCTV manufacturers, so this concept is entirely new to me.

This is a practice common in many industries, especially the audio one.

In this CNBC article Xiaomi is referred to as "China's Apple", with a reported 34.7 million in smartphones sold the first half of 2015. I don't think Cyberdrive has the economies of scale to pull off a similar feat. 

>.<
Whether Cyberdrive does or does not have appropriate "economies of scale" has noting to do with whether they can or cannot manufacture their devices.  What are you trying to say here?  Only companies that sell an enormous number of units can use a cnc machine to make their devices' housings?

Unless you're pushing @iJay's idea that they resell sets amongst manufacturers.

This practice is very common in China.  Take a look at the Newsmy G1, AGPtEK IMP, and Moonlight Z1.  
[snip]

Nov 21, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #164 of 1,652
Iam a manufacturing engineer for the engine Controls division of Rolls-Royce.
I can see a bargin when I see one...
Tear it apart if you wish, if you have a beta review unit please explain how it sounds is the UI any good.
Any takers? No..

If I read what's on the IDGG comments section I'd think no way and not bother. It couldn't drive miss Daisy not even an Ebay $2 pair.
Again people come here for advice a broad view is helpful. If you have higher than an X5 iBasso A&K why get this? An upgrade or starter oh yes...

Sorry I am in a line waiting for fish and chips in Western supermare.. And I am freezing and tired.

Cannot understand why would someone think you are a rep :)

I am not a starter, but sort of always wanted such a device. Years ago, I bought an Archos 605. Actually I had 3 in an extended time period.

Nov 21, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #165 of 1,652
I have the same opinion as jdog.  Before I ran into Seiun, I was planning to get a Fiio X5 ii.  Costs 300US$ but seems well built and "right-sized", sound fine to me too.  Then I saw the Seiun and said "Wow",  then got on the bandwagon.  I assumed a lot of people thought the same because I found the IDGG ad within 24 hours it was posted and the 100$ perk were all gone already.  After cooled down, I started to have the buyer's remorse - this player is too cheap to have so many features.  Am I getting a $5 multitool from Ebay, a 25$ Swiss army knife,  or a 100$ Leatherman/Sog. 

Then I did some searching around and realised that it is not impossible at this price point, with the opinion that CD is not targeting profit  in this IDGG campaign.  Let's be serious, how much money one can make from the volume of items involved.  To me the Seiun player is basically a small tablet with added audio capability.  The Rockchip 3368 covers a lot of the features described and has been utilized in a number of TV boxes and tablet computers (go to Aliexpress and search).  As for the audio part, they drop in the 9018Q2C which is a one stop shop for the DAC and HPA.  Personally all I want is just a competent DAP and all the other features are not important.  However, I am a bit disappointed that CD will not improve the amp section of the player.  The PHA is not a good solution in my view.

As iJay posted, CD is probably using  CMO's that have been doing phones and tablets and  pretty much have all the toolings ready.  Manufacturing business in China these days are not great, many medium and small size outfits would do smaller runs - it is better than no job at all.  I am sure Foxcon is not going to take this job.  So my take is that financially it is doable, at least to cover all the cost. 

Now, come to the most critical question, quality of the player.  AT this point, I guess nobody knows.  As others have alluded to , one should not look at this player as equivalent to A & K and other higher end products. Since the cost is low enough, even though if all blown to hell (which I do think will happen) it is not a big deal - look at it as entertainment expenses. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back