Seeking top tier IEM’s to purchase
Sep 17, 2018 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

3mocrash

New Head-Fier
So right now im currently out of a nice set of earphones. I used to use the Good ole Westone W60’s earlier on in the year but they unfotunely went dead on me. They were amazing while they lasted but I think it’s time I seek a more supreme IEM. The latest IEM aside from the Westone I had was Campfire Audios Atlas which was also very good but i think BA drivers might be my cup of tea as far that goes , plus the fit of the atlas weren’t all too comfortable. I don’t currently use a special source for audio just my Samsung Galaxy S9+ with Dolby Atmos but thats it really. I know having an amp makes all the difference but as of now a I would like to get a nice set of IEMs just to use on this phone for the time being. I use Tidal Premium and spotify premium. My budget for a fancy pair of cans would range from $1200-$3000. I do plan to get them custom fitted aswell. I listen to alot of music all over the spectrum so I need something that will do them all justice. Jazz, lowfi , hiphop , indie rock mainly what i listen to. Throw out recomendations based on your experiences. I’ve tried campfire Andromedas aswell amazing timbre and mids and trebel but I felt lack of bass/punch in them so hopefully that gives some of you to go off of. Dm or pist here what you think , I greatly appreciate all opinions! Wouldn’t mind recommendations on portable amps for my phone aswell nothing to crazy under $300 range.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #2 of 11
Cant quite help for the item part. But I think you may want to take a look at 64 audio A18T if you like ba. (Havent tried it myself, but I will say it is one of the best)
For the portable amp, I think ifi xdsd, chord mojo or fiio Q5 are the ones you may wanna try

Sep 18, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #3 of 11
havent tried any westone iems, but you can probably find a used shure SE846 for a good price. detail and soundstage are lacking a bit

I agree with the guy above, maybe even the u12t

I've heard a couple say though that the u18t is too clinical, and a more fun and immersive signature with, surprisingly, more micro details lies with the Jomo flamenco which thankfully is around a grand cheaper too.

EE has the Zeus. I would also say phantom but it scales more depending on source.

NCM Bella is top performing underdog. nice sparkle from what I've heard with a controlled DD. not bass dominant though. only 1000 bucks. its little brother the NC 5, I've heard some good things about it too.

Sep 18, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #4 of 11
noble encore is nice, solid bass wall, good mids, not fatiguing. liked them better than 846 but there is a lot out there.

Sep 18, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #6 of 11
If you like BAs, the Zeus XR might be up your alley.

Sep 18, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #7 of 11
I’ve been looking into 64 Audio A12t/A18t but
If you like BAs, the Zeus XR might be up your alley.
I think i enjoy the Timbre that some BAs can produce but I need a BA that can produce a nice bass aswell not just a flat bass. Thats my only problem with BAs to me atleast. I still need a subbass presence not insanely boomy but I need to be able to feel some kind of punch. Campfire Andromedas had very nice upper and mids BUT I did not feel a real bass presence in it. My Westones had a nice punch but could still use a tad bit more bass for my liking.

Sep 18, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #8 of 11
havent tried any westone iems, but you can probably find a used shure SE846 for a good price. detail and soundstage are lacking a bit

I agree with the guy above, maybe even the u12t

I've heard a couple say though that the u18t is too clinical, and a more fun and immersive signature with, surprisingly, more micro details lies with the Jomo flamenco which thankfully is around a grand cheaper too.

EE has the Zeus. I would also say phantom but it scales more depending on source.

NCM Bella is top performing underdog. nice sparkle from what I've heard with a controlled DD. not bass dominant though. only 1000 bucks. its little brother the NC 5, I've heard some good things about it too.

I’ve considered the 64 Audio A12t/A18t but the price range is whats getting me. I don’t know if I’d be well off with just the A12t or regretfull I didn’t get the A18t’s. I think listen more for fun rather than micro detail like the Jomo Flamenco. Whats the EE Zeus Signature like ?

Sep 18, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #9 of 11
noble encore is nice, solid bass wall, good mids, not fatiguing. liked them better than 846 but there is a lot out there.
The Nobles look like an interesting choice how do you think they’d do against something like the 64 Audios A12t/A18t or EE Zeus? I alot of people used to always compare Westones W60s Vs Shure 846s and Westones vocals mids and trebles usually win the fight against the Shure 846s but Shure would take it in the Bass department. But i was pretty contempt with the bass from the westones i just wished it was a bit more thats all with a small FiiO Amp with bass preset it did fairly fine but like i said could have used a bit more.

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #10 of 11
I also like kaiser encore more than se846. Tried them before. And I think kaiser encore has a better layering and there are more details to be heard from the kaiser
Currently checking out the Nobel Kaiser Encore it looks nice but i’m just wondering how it does compared to other BAs I only get to buy a really nice pair of cans once in a while so I definately need something i’m gunna enjoy for the time being.

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #11 of 11
I’ve considered the 64 Audio A12t/A18t but the price range is whats getting me. I don’t know if I’d be well off with just the A12t or regretfull I didn’t get the A18t’s. I think listen more for fun rather than micro detail like the Jomo Flamenco. Whats the EE Zeus Signature like ?

most of those are opinions I've read somewhere else, and yes 64audio is the enemy to my wallet. I HAVE had the chance to listen to the Zeus, and I've owned a k10 before, what I can say is that the k10 has a peak which makes it seem like it has more detail when really it's just bringing it to the forefront, bass was good, better than the Zeus (quantity wise at least. I'm not a good judge of bass quality), and Zeus wins in soundstage.

if you want bass from a BA that has a bit more to it, I'd suggest the a12t. I havent heard it but read that it has more bass than the a18t and can fool some to thinking it has a DD, in a good way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back