Seeking New Violin Music
Mar 30, 2004 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

newguy

100+ Head-Fier
I need new classical music for my iPod. I love listening to the violin. I like Vivald's Four Seasons, Brahms, Dvorak's Violin Concerto in A Minor, the playing of Joshua Bell.

I really know very little about classical music. What would suggest I try? What are good sources of reviews?

Thanks for your help!

Mar 30, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 19
Try this:

Vaughan Williams:
Phantasy Quintet
String Quartets Nos. 1 & 2
Maggini Quartet
Naxos 8,555300

Gives a good dample from throught Ralph Vaughan Williams career from 1912 through to 1943. Very serene music played really well by the Maggini Quartet. Also only £5 so you cant loose really
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 19
I recommend all works of Paganini - esp the interpretations by Accardo.

Mar 30, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #5 of 19
You may want to check out good fiddlers as well. -- same instrument, but played in a different style. Natalie MacMaster's my personal recommendation.

Mar 31, 2004 at 1:25 AM Post #7 of 19
There's lots to choose from, here are a few:

Bruch, Scottish Fantasia - Jascha Heifetz (RCA)
Shostakovich and Prokofiev Concertos - Maxim Vengerov (Teldec)
Berg and Britten Concertos - Daniel Hope (Warner)
Schumann Concerto - Joshua Bell (Decca)
Barber and Shostakovich No. 1 - Nadia Salerno-Sonnenberg (EMI)
Beethoven Concerto, Bernstein Serenade - Hilary Hahn (Sony)

Mar 31, 2004 at 1:57 AM Post #8 of 19
Wow!! I would like to thank the kind people who responded. You've really helped me. I just ordered the Vaughn Williams CD ($6.98 - a bargain) and Bruch, Scottish Fantasy (Heifetz) and will check out others as time permits.

If I buy only one classical music magazine and buy one guide what would you recommend?

Mar 31, 2004 at 2:16 AM Post #9 of 19
The Heifetz Scottish Fantasia is an awesome recording, hope you enjoy it!

As for magazines, I read ARG fairly regularly and Gramophone occasionally. What you should do is go to your local Barnes and Noble or whatever and spend some time looking at what's available and how it correlates with your own tastes.

Mar 31, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #10 of 19
on the lighter try "caprice viennois" . A collection of Fritz Kreislers music played by Isaac Stern and the Franz Liszt chamber orch. on the Sony label.
Dont bypass Tchaikovskys violin concerto or the Saint Saens 3rd. violin concerto.

your local library might be a good place to audition more works.

Apr 4, 2004 at 3:03 AM Post #11 of 19
Sonatas for Violin and Harpsicord by J.S. Bach -- Arthur Grumiaux's rendition is classic, and is available as a Philips Duo set.

Sonatas and Partitas for Unaccompanied Violin by J.S. Bach -- this pieces are more intense and seething than the above. Again, Grumiaux under Philips Duo. Many also recommend Manuhin.

Mozart's Violin Concertos are cheerful music that has the typical Mozartian grace. Again, Grumiaux under Philips Duo.

Debussy has written a sonata for Violin and Piano that is dreamily and beautifully poigant. For modern works, the violin concerto by Philip Glass is among his more romantic works.

Apr 12, 2004 at 1:25 PM Post #13 of 19
I wanted to thank those who graciously sent along recommendations for violin music. I am still exploring the recommendations I received but have purchased Heiftetz playing the Bruch Concertos. This is some of the most beautiful music I have ever heard -- period. I also bought a 6 CD set of Accardo playing Paganini, which is wonderful. I learned of these CDs from this list and am very grateful. This is music I will enjoy for the rest of my life. And of course I would very much welcome additional recommendations.

Apr 12, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #14 of 19
Mendelssohn and Tchaikovsky Violin Concerti by performed by Jascha Heifetz

Also Beethovens Violin Concerto (paired with Brahms Violin Concerto) by Heifetz also.

May 29, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
Also Beethovens Violin Concerto (paired with Brahms Violin Concerto) by Heifetz also.

stay AWAY from the heifetz recording, he plays it too fast and doesn't put much feeling into his playing. Many (including me) would recommend the Menuhin recording with furtwangler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back