Seeking an earbud upgrade to the Apple EarPods
May 2, 2013 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

leokennis

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

For my office, I need a pair of earbuds that still allow me to hear my colleagues, my phone ringing etc. So IEM's are out of the question. Big headphones are also a no go; they are simply too large for that environment.

So not too long ago I purchased a set of Apple EarBuds. They are the first earbuds I ever used that had actual, real bass with impact (before I only had some lower Sennheiser MX-series and Marshall Minors). Not the "there are no mids so this crackling sound must be the bass" bass that most cheap earbuds have.

I am now looking for an upgrade, and the Yuin PK3 and PK2 seem really popular. I don't want to go too expensive, since they are only for office listening. I'm looking for a little more detail, maybe some soundstage and also a more "open" and sparkling sound than the darker EarPods.

My main questions is: how is the bass impact on the Yuin PK3 and PK2? Is there real impact or not?
Second question: based on the story above, any other recommendations apart from the Yuin?

Thanks a lot in advance for your responses!

May 2, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #2 of 11
Before you do anything  - get some foam covers for the earbuds, and try that.  It'll aid comfort and give you a little more seal.  Pics here.  Low cost upgrade - actually worth it.

You'll probably still want to upgrade to a better bud in the end (particularly if you want a little more accuracy) - but the above is worth trying until you get a better recommendation.

May 2, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks, I'll try that!

Can anyone tell me about the bass impact of the Yuin earbuds?

May 2, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #4 of 11
I went through this dilemma a while back I wanted a good sounding earbud. I tried a bunch of different ones but in the end for me the best all around was the Apple Earbud (latest weird shape) with foam covers as was previously suggested. What I came to realize is all the earbuds I tried sounded like crap unless they had foam covers. Also, not all foam cover are created equal. I started off with a two or three pack of TDK  from radioshack that cost somewhere around $5. After losing one or two I turned to Amazon and got a 400 pack for about the same cost. There is a very noticeable difference in quality though. The TDK were thicker and stronger. The Amazon ones tear easily and are much thinner. Needless to say I have earbud covers for life.

May 2, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for the detailed reply! I'll try some foam covers and report back :)

Edit: tried it. My first impression is that it definitely increases bass punch, making the bass have more authority. It also seems to increase details (small percusion, acoustic guitar etc.) although that might be placebo effect. Thanks for the tip!

I think I'll hold of the Yuin for now, also seeing its quality isn't praised (fragile) and it does not have the iPhone remote the EarPods do have.

May 2, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 11
Wow, I just checked out the prices on amazon and these are going for well under $10 -used. I'm not sure I'd go that route as they might be counterfeits, but even brand new they are still only $25.

What price range do the earpods compete with in terms of quality then?
Quote:
I went through this dilemma a while back I wanted a good sounding earbud. I tried a bunch of different ones but in the end for me the best all around was the Apple Earbud (latest weird shape) with foam covers as was previously suggested. What I came to realize is all the earbuds I tried sounded like crap unless they had foam covers. Also, not all foam cover are created equal. I started off with a two or three pack of TDK  from radioshack that cost somewhere around $5. After losing one or two I turned to Amazon and got a 400 pack for about the same cost. There is a very noticeable difference in quality though. The TDK were thicker and stronger. The Amazon ones tear easily and are much thinner. Needless to say I have earbud covers for life.

May 3, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #8 of 11
I'd say the KSC75 sound better. To me they are "Grado light". The EarPods are "Sennheiser light".

Simply because of the larger driver and the greater distance between driver and eardrum, you get more detail and bigger soundstage. Also the KSC75 has a more forward and lively presentation.

The EarPods have a sort of Sennheiser signature: laid back and bass focused. Bass impact is better and stronger than the KSC75, and bass is also more detailed. But because of the small driver and close distance, everything is very much "inside your head".

So if you need earbuds: EarPods are a great great choice. If you only need something portable: get the Koss.

May 3, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #9 of 11
Great info, leokennis, greatly appreciated. :)

I placed an order for the earpods, since I apparently have zero willpower. 
cool.gif

These are available on dealfisher for $15, which sounded like a fair price. 

May 3, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #10 of 11
If in the future you want an upgrade, check out the sunrise audio charm3 or Hisound PAA-1 Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back