Seeking advice regarding DAP upgrade
Aug 17, 2008 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Ingen

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone. I've spent some time reading threads here in the past (when I got my headphones), but never actually posted until now.

I'm considering getting a new DAP. Let's start with what I have:

Headphones:
ATH-A700
smily_headphones1.gif

Koss portapro (rarely used)

Headphone amp:
Ray Samuels Predator

DAP:
iAudio 6 4gb

I also sometimes hook the Predator up to the comp to provide music from it. I have thought a bit about upgrading my iaudio 6 lately. It's not a bad player, I don't think, but I have two problems with it:

1. It's sooo slow to start when you have a lot of stuff on it.
2. It's easy to have 'a lot' of stuff on it when it only holds 4gb. I want audio lectures as well as quite a few songs in good quality.

I want it to provide good sound, good battery, plenty of files. I want to be able to hook up my Predator and ATH-A700 to it, and I also want to get some decent sound just with earphones for gym and when more "on the move" (any suggestion for what ones to get are also welcome).

I'm pondering about iaudio 7, the 16gb version. Not having any good stores nearby where I can go and poke around at things, I want to get some advice though; are there other players I should consider?

Cheers for any advice.

Edit: I've looked a bit at reviews of iAudio 7 already, and it seems to fit good battery life and better, albeit not great, storage capacity.. But what is good to someone else's circumstances might be bad for mine, and I freely admit I'm not expert..

Aug 17, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 13
Have you considered the Cowon D2? 16 GB + expandable memory should give you enough storage. It also has great SQ and an excellent battery life.

In addition, from what I've read, it's a great DAP to amp.

Aug 18, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #3 of 13
I'm liking the idea of expandable storage using say a 32gb SD. Plus, should that prove to not be enough, one can just get more SD cards as long as one doesn't mind swapping them around.

I've tried looking at the differences between D2 and iAudio7, and I've noticed a few differences;

- D2 has slightly worse battery (52 hours vs 60 hours) for audio.
- D2 has a bigger screen, but watching anything for longer amounts of time is supposedly a bit painful.
- D2 can be expanded with SD, iAudio7 cannot.

The controls are different.. someone wrote that D2 can be set up so that one doesn't need to use the touch thing too much, which is good.

Are there any other differences between the two I should keep in mind? How do they compare SQ wise? Is a new version of either expected out anytime soon?

Aug 18, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #4 of 13
The battery life is measured in optimum conditions[128kb/s files, no EQ/Effects, only internal memory, quite low volume].

Got a 32GB card last week for £60.

Aug 18, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by montell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iaudio 6 uses a microdrive. Have you considered opening it up and replacing the microdrive with a CF card?

That should solve both the lag and the capacity.

Is that possible? I'd get 1 myself and drop a 32gb CF card in and have some FUN!!!

Aug 18, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #7 of 13
Hrm.. I can build a computer from parts, but have no experience soldering or taking daps apart. Not sure if I'd be able to do it without fatally damaging it.

I'm aware that there's a difference between official times and actual usage times, but either way D2 is slightly lower, but battery times of two days is more than enough for me.

I'm aware it's a hdd and wanted to get away from that and towards flash, mainly due to durability. Good to hear that flash isn't as laggy to boot
icon10.gif

Aug 18, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #8 of 13
^ I've never timed my battery lately.

I use mp3s at V0, Metal EQ/meduim 'JetEffects', music entirely on 32GB card, volume of 20/50 and minor screen usage, my battery meter only ever goes down by one notch in a days use[7-8 hours]. I usually recharge when it goes down another.

Transpose those settings and put an 8GB card in place, I got about 36 hours. Fine for me, I'm not far from a power-source.

Aug 19, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that possible? I'd get 1 myself and drop a 32gb CF card in and have some FUN!!!

I dont know if its possible since I dont own one myself and the iaudio6 is one of the least popular cowon product. But it could be just as easy as the ipod mini.

I think its worth a try if you dont use the iaudio6 anyway

Aug 19, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #10 of 13
get rid of your iaudio6

buy an imod or an 30g ipod with rockbox so you can eq

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #12 of 13
Found out the iAudio6 has the same type of HD as the Trekstor Vibes so an upgrade isn't possible. It's a 0.85" MicroHDD - it's a dead end!!!

trekstor-vibez-open1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back