Seeking advice on putting together a system based around the Audeze LCD-2 vs LCD-3
May 25, 2013 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

krisgel

New Head-Fier
Hello.  I have years of experience with very high end 2 channel audio systems using speakers, but am new to headphone listening.  Due to changes in my life, I have come to the realization that the largest amount of time I will have for listening will be through headphones, so I want to put together the best sounding system I can.  My total budget is around $3500, and I will need headphones, USB DAC, and headphone amp.

These are 2 solutions I am considering, and I am interested in feedback from experienced headphone users as to which of the two you feel will yield the better results.  It basically comes down to either spending more on the headphones and less on the DAC and amp, or spending less on the headphones and more on the DAC and amp.

1. Audeze LCD-2, Decware Taboo MKIII, a USB DAC in the range of $700 - $1000, used.

2. Audeze LCD-3, Woo Audio Fireflies DAC/headphone amp

Thank you for your help!

May 25, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 8
My advice is to invest in proper source and amp, combined with for example Audeze LCD-2 or maybe alternative Hifiman HE-500. If you don't have a lot of experience with listenig to headphones, and you have to discover personal preferences and taste....
I would start with a lower budget. Your budget is i.m.o. pretty high for a starter. Please do build up with care!

For exemple, if you don't liker planar headphones, the selected headphoneamp matching these planars don't have to be best choice for other headphones.

But ofcourse, this is only my advice :). Good luck building up your new set!

May 25, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks PAM005.  The reason for the higher budget is that I am used to state-of-the-art in my regular system, and want the headphone system to perform at a high level.  

May 25, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Thanks PAM005.  The reason for the higher budget is that I am used to state-of-the-art in my regular system, and want the headphone system to perform at a high level.  

Hi Krisgel,

Luckely we have both same habits (and experience with nice gear), but I really do think with headphones budget is NOT the most important thing. I.m.o. it's more about proper matching. Ofcourse, there are a lot of differences in results with headphone-setups. But for example Fostex TH-900 (really top closed headphone) doesn't need that ambitious amps. Also questions have to be answered first: what type of music do I listen, when do I listen, where- are other people around, how quiet is listenroom etc.

May 25, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #5 of 8
What sort of speaker rig ya got, Krisgel? :)

I have a moderately high end Maggie rig, so I can relate to your situation a bit....I've loved dabbling around with the headphone side of things...much more fun having both to play with! 

May 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 8
@Krisgel, a rebuild Lenco idler drive...
At this moment I have also ordered a rebuild Lenco L-75. I can't wait to hear it. But oops sorry, that wasn't your question :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back