Seeking advice for closed-back headphones
Oct 14, 2017 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

bob9722

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone! I'm fairly new to head-fi and am looking for some advice on my next pair of closed-back purchase. I already have an HD 650 and LCD 2 for open back, and now I am trying to decide between the Sony MDR-Z1R or the Fostex TH-900 MK2. I'm open to any and all recommendations.
My source is a Sony WM-1A walkman connected to an HDVD 800 (I'm also waiting for my new amp, which will be a Sony TA-ZH1ES D.A. Hybrid amp). I mostly listen to jazz, blues and some rock n' roll (classical on very rare occasions).

Oct 14, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 2
Hello everyone! I'm fairly new to head-fi and am looking for some advice on my next pair of closed-back purchase. I already have an HD 650 and LCD 2 for open back, and now I am trying to decide between the Sony MDR-Z1R or the Fostex TH-900 MK2. I'm open to any and all recommendations.
My source is a Sony WM-1A walkman connected to an HDVD 800 (I'm also waiting for my new amp, which will be a Sony TA-ZH1ES D.A. Hybrid amp). I mostly listen to jazz, blues and some rock n' roll (classical on very rare occasions).
Firstly how do you like the LCD2 vs HD650? I find the LCD2 does everything better except comfort :p As for a closed back, I had also been considering the same route as you. I had it narrowed down to those Sony, the TH900, and ZMF Atticus. From the research I did, the Sony seemed to be very unnatural in sound than the other two, which I wouldn't like. The TH900 is potentially harsh according to some people, and that turned me off to those. I decided on the Atticus because they look the best and similar to LCD2, sound natural but still have some heavy bass. They also use the same mini-xlr connectors as the LCD line and they come with a balanced cable if you choose, which can be used with the Audeze. Two birds one stone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back